Had my first ever lay-down on my new(ish) FZ6

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
Well... I had my first ever lay-down on a bike, and it was on my like new '07 FZ6 that I bought last month. I was on my way to orientation for a new job (and it had rained this morning), which sucks because they guy sent me home because he said he hadn't gotten my info. back from headquarters yet so I didn't even need to go today.

I was way too careless and feel like a fool, but I got into the turning lain to turn onto a side road when I downshifted to help slow down (which I normally always do in wet conditions) but I must have let the clutch out too fast because the rear tire lost traction and I fishtailed for about a second before it went down on the right side. If I were to have to guess, I'd say I slid for about 75-100 feet.

So, now my FZ6 has some character, more-so that I would like. I am the second owner and it had never been laid down, according to the first owner (but I don't know... the right bar end and mirror had some little scuffs on them--maybe he dropped it?). Although, I'm surprised it didn't get damaged more than it did.

If anyone knows of a place online that sells OEM parts for this bike please let me know. My local Yamaha shop will match prices but I need to find somewhere online that carries everything I need, which is: Blue touch-up paint, right side turn signal, handle bars, front and back right side foot rests, oil pump cover, and some kid of black touch-up for the frame.

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry to hear of your incident, but i am glad that you are well enough to be posting.

get back on 2 wheels soon!

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the concern folks.

I was going straight when it happened, still slowing while approaching my right turn off, and once the bike actually hit the assfault I was probably only going about 25-30ish? I'm really not sure though.

Luckily my head didn't hit so no scratches on my new Shoei X-Eleven. I'm glad I was wearing my Icon Daytona leather jacket and Icon Merc gloves. I looked at my gear after I had calmed down and and there are no scuffs on the right forearm where I hit (guess the wet roads helped), but my right glove does show a little wear on the palm and the pinky finger. I'm thankful they put the extra padding on the outside of the pinky finger and on the palm! If I hadn't been wearing my leahters I would be pretty jacketed up right now...

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
bummer.... well glad your ok.. thats all that matters really.... the other day i was down shifting as well.. and using a little engine braking and my back end got a little loose as well and i was on dry asphalt... so your not the only one... be safe

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site

From the link you posted, I was able to find the majority of what I need to get the most damaged parts replaced... The turn signal was pretty expensive there, so I may just leave it alone until I run across a good deal on one. And the bar end I should be able to sand and re-paint instead of spending $14 on a new one... Although I wonder if it would even be worth my time.

5LV-27441-01-00 FOOTREST REAR 2

$10.66
$10.66
91314-10050-00 BOLT

$1.66
$1.66
91314-06020-00 BOLT (3JB)

$0.73
$1.46
1B3-15416-00-00 COVER OIL PUMP

$32.10
$32.10
90340-32004-00 PLUG STRAIGHT SCREW

$4.00
$4.00
4BH-27461-01-00 FOOTREST

$16.79
$16.79
5VX-26111-10-00 HANDLEBAR

$30.01
$30.01
5SL-15456-01-00 GASKET OIL PUMP COV

$5.50
$5.50

Subtotal $102.18

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
How much was the turn signal? I just replaced mine with aftermarket ones and have all 4 stock signals sitting around if you want one of em

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
How much was the turn signal? I just replaced mine with aftermarket ones and have all 4 stock signals sitting around if you want one of em

I think it was around $32. If you're not using them I'm definitely interested! The only one that got damaged was the front right...

Any other parts you're not using?:D

Dustin

MotorBoatin Son of a Btch
Reaction score
Visit site
After market Motrax Signals are 15.99 a pair at cyclegear.com and at the store if you are near one, easy to install and they look cool!

s2vml

s2 vml
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry to know about ur incident. i dropped my new FZ6 on day two ... thanks to the crash bobbins which took the impact and no damage to the bike...
hope u get the parts u need to make ur bike look new again. i would recommend a crash bobbin ....

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but I am glad YOU are okay.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know the feeling. :(

You inspired my new signature. I said it when I decided the bike would look better balanced on the windshield.

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear of your misfortunes. Glad you are OK. It can happen to any of us any day.

BastardWaif

Ensure you are insured!
Reaction score
www.cambrianguitars.com
Glad you're okay! Sorry to see the scrapage on your nice "new" bike! :(

I hate be all anal about this, but I thought the definition of a "lay down" was if you were stationary, and just lost your balance and laid it down (with no forward motion) as you stepped off/away from the bike. The temptation here is to minimize what happened by thinking of it as a "lay down", whereas what you actually experienced was a crash due to rider error. I think it would be more of a learning experience for you if you admitted that it was more than a simple "lay down".

I'm just sayin'......<flame suit on>

Dave

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're okay! Sorry to see the scrapage on your nice \"new\" bike! :(

I hate be all anal about this, but I thought the definition of a \"lay down\" was if you were stationary, and just lost your balance and laid it down (with no forward motion) as you stepped off/away from the bike. The temptation here is to minimize what happened by thinking of it as a \"lay down\", whereas what you actually experienced was a crash due to rider error. I think it would be more of a learning experience for you if you admitted that it was more than a simple \"lay down\".

I'm just sayin'......<flame suit on>

Dave

I consider a "drop" when the bike tips over and is stationary, but laying it down occurs while moving. Do you think I would bother posting pictures and describing everything that happened if I was in denial about it? It was a learning experience and a stupid thing to have done on my part... So it just depends on what terminology you choose.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
J, glad you're OK. We all kiss the pavement eventually, it's only a matter of time. Been there, done that more than twice. Just plan for it, get some frame sliders on that bike, gear up, and use your head. Chants, incantations and small sacrifices also work for some people.

As part as parts, dig around here in the Parts for Sale area, as well as on SBN and/or FleaBay. Lots of people convert to naked, and I've seen all these parts listed at different times.

Good luck, and be safe.