Had an SV650S will I be disappointed with a FZ6?

jeff2015

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an SV650S and loved it until a driver cut me off and I laid it down. It ended up being totaled so I have to get another bike. I've called around looking for another sv650s but noone seems to have any or they're outrageously priced and that's the only reason they're still available. I've started to look at the Yamaha FZ6 and I have enough with the insurance check to go out and get the FZ6 right now - and I've found one at a really good price. The only this is I've heard mixed reviews about the FZ6 so I'm kinda uneasy about buying one. I mostly drive on the highways 55+ and I like the upright riding position better on the FZ but I'm still unsure. I've only had the SV for a few months so I'm still a beginner so I want to make sure the FZ6 would be a good bike for me to get or I don't know if I would be disappointed coming off the SV650S....

There are a number of people here who had or still have their SV650 and prefer the FZ6 moreso. I rode for awhile on my buddy's SV until I got my FZ6 and I appreciate my bike more than his. You will notice the difference between the V-twin versus the in-line four, the four definitely kicks arse anytime. The best part is the riding position, I can "SEE" more with the FZ6 with it's more upright position.

From the reviews I have read comparing the two, the SV650 has more HP in the low RPM's than the FZ. The FZ has 10 or 20 more HP total but that is in the high RPM range. If you ride mainly on the hi way it shouldn't matter. Other than that I think the FZ is rated better all around than the SV. I personally think the FZ is plenty fast enough. The SV power falls off bad at higher RPM's the FZ has lots at hi RPM. I have never ridden a SV but that is what the reviews I have read say. Personally I love my FZ. My guess is that you will to.

I had a 2004 SV 650 for 2 years and put on over 10,000 miles. I absolutely loved the bike and sold it to buy a house and pay for a wedding. I thought I would never be happy with a different bike. I liked it so much that since I got my SV 3 very close friends followed suit and have also been happy. Now about a year after the SV has been out of my life I decided to get a new bike and I chose a 2005 FZ6. It is a great bike. Like a previous reply said, you can see better and is much more comfortable to ride as you are almost vertical.

The FZ6 has a very useable power band in the city and still pulls a ton harder than the SV650 up high. The FZ6 is the same internals as an R6 with different cams so it is a bit more tame and rider friendly. I don't think you will be disapointed with an FZ6. Very fun and I look forward to riding it everyday. I have about 1500 miles on it and I have had it about a month.

I have over 20,000 on my 07 fz6 and would buy it again. Thats about the best praise I can give a machine. I really enjoy my bike.

if you had an fz6 then bought an sv650.....you would be disappointed with the sv650...

'nuff said.

I actually was in a similar place about a month ago. I test drove an SV650S and the FZ6 back-to-back. The SV has great grunt. Very nice in the city. The FZ6 has the top end, as many have said, which I like. While commuting I take it easy anyway, but if I want to I can keep it around 8K and have enough power to really move.
I really think the FZ6 has better handling as well. The steering really give a good feel for the road. The brakes felt about the same. I love the riding position on the FZ6, I can take it on long trip and stay comfortable. Wind was about the same on both at highway speeds. The FZ6 feels more "buzzy", and the sound of the SV is better IMO. The FZ6 has a bit of a twitchy clutch. Very short engagement and stiff, but fine after a few weeks or riding.
I had two choices, an 04 SV650S or 04 FZ6, same miles, same price, same color. I chose the FZ6 and I discover how truly great this bike is a little more everyday.

That's a really nice bike, much like a katana.

I may be wrong, but I believe it is replacing the katana (i.e. I think they are or have stopped making it).

I have an SV, the hubby has the FZ. Personally, due to how I fit on the two bikes, I prefer my SV, but he prefers the FZ. The other posts give a pretty good comparison of the two. The reason there are so many different bikes out there is because it really is personal preference. If you can take the FZ for a test ride, do that before committing yourself. I am sure you will love it, but you won't know until you try.

Good luck, and make the right choice for you.

That 650F is over 500lbs with gas in it...

FZ is very comfortable and if you want more low end it's cheap and easy to do. Ride one, you'll like it.

It's a personal choice but you have come to a place where we all love our FZs.. so you will be hard pressed to find someone to say you won't like it. It is a very nimble, quick, bike.

Good luck. :thumbup:

Deb

Last edited:
i agree that its a matter of personnel choice. but if you want to know the differences then the best way to find out is by someone who actually has had or ridden both.

i too see the upright position being a much better advanage.

When I was shopping for a new bike I had several on my list, the SV650 with full fairing and ABS, the ZZR600, the R6S and the VFR800. I was going to go with the ZZR600 and the saleman, who sells all four Japanese brands, said, "Have you thought about the FZ6?" He explained the technological differences and felt the FZ won hands down, so I bought it. I've been supper happy with the FZ. The only weak area is the suspension, IF you push it, if not it is great. The motor is amazing on the FZ, it will leave the SV in the dust and it has a riding position that allows you to ride all day for several days in a row.

I'm not knocking the SV at all as it is a great bike but I feel the FZ is a faster and a better all around bike. It all depends on what is important for you.

Last edited:
Back