Got FZ dyno numbers tonight. Max HP and Topspeed

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
For those that are interested I went up to bike night tonight and one of the local shops had their dyno trailer there. I figured for $20 why not see. All I have is 15t, modded airbox, cat elim. pipe and mildly drilled stock exhaust. Ended up with 84.25 hp and 144mph top speed(perfect world) in 6th gear pull, 4th gear pull was 78hp and 117mph. I was pretty pleased considering the temp in trailer was 93* during pulls and he showed me the numbers from a bone stock FZ6 a few weeks before at 10* cooler and mine was 2hp more however so slight I guess "uncorking" the bike does make a difference. All the other 600's the of course were SS bikes but most were between 96-105hp for newer ones regardless of mods and low 90's for older models I saw.

On a side note good friend of mine there with me had his 08 CBR600 done 3 weeks ago at 79* and pulled 104.57hp with TB pipes only tonight at 93* bike only made 100.33hp. Found that kinda interesting myself, I knew denser(cold) air made better power but never would have thought 15* would make a 4 hp difference. Ohh and his top speed with same sprocket setup is only 147 so really not much top difference between the SS and FZ.

Another good thing is the guys will be there atleast every other week so as I get mods done for $20 I can check my progress as I go.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mate, i reckon the Dyno is reading low...i had mine dyno'd satock, with drilled exhaust and got 89hp at the rear wheel...and the Dyno it was tuned on is supposed to be conservative.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, that seems low, here are my results from when i had mine run last year:

90.13HP
44.25 ft-lbs of torque

Bone Stock
Just 2 basic single gear runs. 4th gear top speed was 127mp/h

FZ6StockDyno.jpg

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm I need to dig out my last dyno run.... what I do remember was 98.4 HP and 249km/h (154.7mph).

That was at 5,500ft above sea level which is a power sapper.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
Quite possible it is a mobile machine so that could have something to do with it bouncing around and such. Never looked it up but 8% power loss from crank to rear wheel seems a little conservative shouldn't that be higher? Hard for me to belieive a supposed 98bhp bike makes 90 to the tire. In the past most dyno's I have seen for cars were always a little to the high side not the other way. Try to play to the ego trip you know.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
Did some research online about the readings and bases calculations. What I found was that in most cases you lose between 10-15% from crank to wheel with more modern bikes being more toward the lesser of these numbers but again basically a crapshoot. Also there are calculations made(Dyno Correction Factor) by most shops which the mobile apparently was not doing. Which would explain the low numbers. What this does is standardize the hp reading regardless of humidity, air temp, pressure and altitude. Baiscally the same as having it done in a controlled environment like the 98bhp factory reading was done. Anyway with the corrections based off all the dyno sheet info that would make it 89.53hp which seems to be more inline with what everyone elses results were. Guess you learn someting every day.

Here's where I found all the info on calcualtions.
http://wahiduddin.net/calc/cf.htm

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So what does the fizzer have as far as HP. The closest place for me to get the bike dialed in is 2 hours away. I have a 07 with K&N filter ans Scorpion cans, PC111, -1 +2 and a mid-pipe.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:iconbeer::D
Quite possible it is a mobile machine so that could have something to do with it bouncing around and such. Never looked it up but 8% power loss from crank to rear wheel seems a little conservative shouldn't that be higher? Hard for me to belieive a supposed 98bhp bike makes 90 to the tire. In the past most dyno's I have seen for cars were always a little to the high side not the other way. Try to play to the ego trip you know.
it sounds like you got real world numbers to me.because I've rung my 07 out and the best top speed i've gotten out of it was 141mph.:D p.s. on a side note it will bump the rev limiter in 6th at 165mph on the center stand.:D

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Heck ya cooler temps help make Hp. Back in high school I would plow my uncles field in the evening and could bump the Farmall up a gear due to cooler air.
Two Bros web site does not show any Hp difference with their pipes on a FZ6,other bikes with their pipes gain a few ponies. But is does sound much better:)

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
:iconbeer::D it sounds like you got real world numbers to me.because I've rung my 07 out and the best top speed i've gotten out of it was 141mph.:D p.s. on a side note it will bump the rev limiter in 6th at 165mph on the center stand.:D

I agree whole heartedly with you on that....they are real world numbers and actual hp for given conditions on the given day. Corrected numbers are to keep things in a constant range all the time regardless of conditions like they do for factory testing which is why most dyno's use them for tuning as well.

Best I've seen top speed wise in real world is 139 with the 15t and 151 with the 16t.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
So what does the fizzer have as far as HP. The closest place for me to get the bike dialed in is 2 hours away. I have a 07 with K&N filter ans Scorpion cans, PC111, -1 +2 and a mid-pipe.

Only way to find out truly would be to dyno but I would guess to say from what I've seen in life and online probably around 95-100rwhp give or take a few.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, here's my figures from a supposedly "conservative" dyno.

OEM: 89.4 at the rear wheel

PCIII + modded (drilled) OEM exhaust + BMC air filter: 95.7 at the rear wheel

PCIII + tWO brothers pipes, modded airbox, BMC Filter: 98.4 at the rear wheel.

(NOTE: these are both custom maps...no map loaded off the net, or from the PCIII site, etc)

Top speed with 530 OEM gearing and PCIII, Drilled exhaust, air filter & custom dyno map = 239km/h

Top speed with 530 OEM gearing, PCIII, TB's, filter, airbox mod & custom dyno map= 247km/h

Top speed with 530 OEM gearing, PCIII, TB's, filter, airbox mod, custom dyno map, and a 15t (-1) front sprocket = 216km/h

Top speed with a 520 conversion gearing (-2, +1), PCIII, TB's, filter, airbox mod, custom dyno map = 235km/h

Go figure on the last one....with such tall gearing, you would think that the bike would be struggling to hit 200km/h...but, i think with the power being pulled fiurther down the rev range, the bike tends to rev hard, all the way to redline in all gears, especially 6th gear, which seems to be happier, power wise with the taller gearing.

By the way, i weigh a rather portly 105kg's, so this will affect power...what do they reckon...3kg's = 1hp.

:thumbup:

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Last year I got 89 HP on the dyno bone stock and have seen 153 mph several times at a local airstrip. Stock gearing and all. It just takews a while to get there.

Just my 2 cents.:thumbup:

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, here's my figures from a supposedly "conservative" dyno.

OEM: 89.4 at the rear wheel

PC III + modded (drilled) OEM exhaust + BMC air filter: 95.7 at the rear wheel

PC III + tWO brothers pipes, modded air-box, BMC Filter: 98.4 at the rear wheel.

(NOTE: these are both custom maps...no map loaded off the net, or from the PC III site, etc)

Top speed with 530 OEM gearing and PC III, Drilled exhaust, air filter & custom dyno map = 239km/h

Top speed with 530 OEM gearing, PC III, TB's, filter, air box mod & custom dyno map= 247km/h

Top speed with 530 OEM gearing, PC III, TB's, filter, airbox mod, custom dyno map, and a 15th (-1) front sprocket = 216km/h

Top speed with a 520 conversion gearing (-2, +1), PC III, TB's, filter, airbox mod, custom dyno map = 235km/h

Go figure on the last one....with such tall gearing, you would think that the bike would be struggling to hit 200km/h...but, i think with the power being pulled further down the rev range, the bike tends to rev hard, all the way to red-line in all gears, especially 6th gear, which seems to be happier, power wise with the taller gearing.

By the way, i weigh a rather portly 105kg's, so this will affect power...what do they reckon...3kg's = 1hp.

:thumbup:

That all sounds about right to me, but as far as the gearing mod's i can see how they would change because all your doing is gearing up to a faster speed(-1) which would give more top end, and, going (-2) would give you more whole shot and less then on the top end......i think but that's how i would see it, but then again i am no mechanic.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That all sounds about right to me, but as far as the gearing mod's i can see how they would change because all your doing is gearing up to a faster speed(-1) which would give more top end, and, going (-2) would give you more whole shot and less then on the top end......i think but that's how i would see it, but then again i am no mechanic.

yes I agree... But the reality is that when doing the 520 conversion things change more than you think... I think the lighter rotating mass has something to do with it... Dunno, I just ride it and like it!