Got Bored and Drilled my Muffler

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
So I read a ton of stuff about how to drill out the baffles in my muffler and how some hated it and said I would regret doing it and other said it was fine. I listen to a few sound tracks and decided I would give it a shot and if it didn't work I would buy some aftermarket mufflers. I used a 7/8 step drill on an extension and went to town. I like the outcome. Makes a little more noise but not obnoxious and I don't know if it's just me but a think the performance is up a little. Seems to make sense if your lowering the back pressure you should have a little bit more performance.

Anyhow if your on the fence weather to do this just go ahead, you will like the results if your looking for a little more noise.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's anything like when I put my Scorpion cans on - whether it makes more power or not, it sounds like it does!

I find myself just nailing the throttle for no other reason, than it makes my Daddy parts happy!

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel like I want to do as well since new or used aftermarket exhaust is out of a question for the time being and I really want just a little bit more noise, also can you share your how to, I read bunch of them but can never have too much info

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel like I want to do as well since new or used aftermarket exhaust is out of a question for the time being and I really want just a little bit more noise, also can you share your how to, I read bunch of them but can never have too much info

Pretty easy. I used a 7/8 step drill bit with an adapter and connected it to a 1/4" extension and inserted this into my cordless drill. Take a flash light and look into your muffler and you will see the baffle. Insert the drill and go to town. Try to keep the drill centered in the hole. If your using a step drill bit be careful not to loose the bit in the muffler by going to far. Drill both exhaust holes. I started by making two small holes with the step bit (3/8) and didn't notice any difference. I ended up going almost to 7/8" and the sound is perfect to me. Not loud at all but a noticeable difference.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. Drilled stock exhaust is the perfect blend of good, relatively quiet sound. I switched from aftermarket pipes back to drilled stock ones because the aftermarket pipes were too loud without the baffles and not much louder than the drilled stock exhaust with. Figured the $500 was better spent elsewhere on the bike.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have drilled/baffles out stock exhaust for a small donation.

So I have Scorpions cans at this point in time, however I also have a stock exhaust with the baffles taken out. It was welded back together and it sounds fairly nice.

I am asking of $40 plus shipping (so I can buy myself new summer gloves).

Any takers??

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: I have drilled/baffles out stock exhaust for a small donation.

So I have Scorpions cans at this point in time, however I also have a stock exhaust with the baffles taken out. It was welded back together and it sounds fairly nice.

I am asking of $40 plus shipping (so I can buy myself new summer gloves).

Any takers??
Cheeky! It's not the way to sell something here by hijacking someone's mod thread.

Post this in the for-sale section (or try Ebay for an even larger audience). I would also include pics and videos so people know what they are getting.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if this is an option for anyone but I'd thought I'd stir the cauldron. Amazon has something called a store card which is a interest differed card on purchases over 500$ for 12 moths, so for me that means if I can scrounge 50 bucks a month I can get a exhaust on amazon for 700 ish and make payments with a few months to spare. Since all of us make the fz the most Important thing in our lives I know we will all go buy an exhaust tomorrow :) lol just thought that could be an
Option but it would be nice if they weren't so dang much lol

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: I have drilled/baffles out stock exhaust for a small donation.

Cheeky! It's not the way to sell something here by hijacking someone's mod thread.

Post this in the for-sale section (or try Ebay for an even larger audience). I would also include pics and videos so people know what they are getting.

I wasn't sure that there was any interest in it.

I had a for trade thread about it some time ago. Didn't have any interest.

It was a selfish plug in.

Sorry.

tenracing

Reaction score
Visit site
Drill the baffle out of each side? I was thinking about somthing like this. I dont want loud crazy !but i want some noise. for two reasons 1, for people to hear me coming and 2 for the deer to hear me just the other day riding to work the 30 mile trek one way all back roads i peged a deer and broke my mirror, almost lost it had a taste of deer all day. can you say lucky?
so i will take your advice and just do IT .

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Drilling your exhaust won't help for deer, for one it's not very loud and 2 deer don't give a damn. Get some deer whistles and put them on your bike, they do work.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Drilling your exhaust won't help for deer, for one it's not very loud and 2 deer don't give a damn. Get some deer whistles and put them on your bike, they do work.

This is true 4 of crossed in front of me last week and I was on my staight piped Harley..... I think the noise might actualy atrack the deer!! i have heard the sound of a chainsaw will bring em to logging sites,like bugs to a porch light..... I don't have any science to back up this theory though,just word of mouth and personal experiance.. :BLAA: :rockon: :rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Drill the baffle out of each side? I was thinking about somthing like this. I dont want loud crazy !but i want some noise. for two reasons 1, for people to hear me coming and 2 for the deer to hear me just the other day riding to work the 30 mile trek one way all back roads i peged a deer and broke my mirror, almost lost it had a taste of deer all day. can you say lucky?
so i will take your advice and just do IT .

Maybe a set of these? :) Bell Deer Warning - Walmart.com
0007602763113_300X300.jpg

Tallan

Reaction score
Visit site
Id like to get a little more bark out of my bike as well, but Im nervous bout doin this. I dont have the xtra $ right now to replace with aftermarket if I dont like the sound. Just got my FZ6 and love it but it is quite, sounds like a jet till u open it up.

tenracing

Reaction score
Visit site
i took a peek down in the end exhaust on my stock exhaust and didn't see a baffle, what i saw was a flat looking piece of metal or somthing in that matter. Do i drill through that ?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes that is a baffle this is what you are seeingView attachment 44585

I've wrote this a couple times now but I'll post it here too.

The stock exhaust is made of stainless steel and it has went through quite a few heat cycles and will no doubt be very hard. However it will only be hard to drill through if you make it by trying to drill it with a masonry bit or go full speed with a regular bit. The best way to drill through hard steels is to use a lot of pressure but slow speed, it would also be good to use a cutting lube but that is almost impossible from where the holes are to be drilled, but if you can feel it when it is about to punch through back off of the pressure and turn up the speed and it will punch through nice and easy and not ruin any bits by building up any unneeded extra heat.

Jim V

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like an ideal solution. Have a few questions..What is a step drill? How far in do you drill? Lastly, would this require any modification to fuel mixture, I believe what is called mapping? When I was young, rode dirt bikes and if you removed too much back pressure (we had straight pipes) the bike ran hotter and had a tendency to burn the valves as a result.

tenracing

Reaction score
Visit site
I drilled mine, put on 3$$ miles to go see family this weekend. My opinion (isnt worth much) I could tell a difference. NOT a huge difference but enough to satisfies me till i can afford aftermarket ones. If some one is on the fence, just do it because i believe it only changed the sound 10% louder but its enough to keep you happy for awhile.
the baffles are 9.5'' in . I welded my drill bit to a rod because I am cheap, worked awesome if you can weld. didn't need to spend $7 at menards for a bit.

polydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
here's mine with 3/4" holes in the baffles, sounds much better in person, especially when hauling ass at high rpms'. Sounds really good actually. use some good speakers or headphones to listen since i recorded this with my phone... I'm pleasantly surprised, but also found a deal on some scorps I may not be able to pass up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB36rH19mzY