Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Goop and I rode Friday!

Goop (Bryan) and I got together for a short ride on Friday. It was pretty hot in the desert but we tried to keep it in the higher elevations.

We stopped and checked in on our local friends in Ranchita Ca. They were evacuated last month and I was hoping there was not damage to them from the fires. They said the firefighting crews were awesome.
Ray, one of the locals, is just about always there. We told him how J. Peterson was world famous on our FZ6 forum. He says hi to all you Australians! LOL!

In the first video there is also a type of velvet ant I took video of. These ants are also called "Cow Killers" It is actually a female, wingless wasp. You'll hear it making a chirping sound.

The second video is Old Julian Hwy where we encountered wild turkeys.

Enjoy!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whL0f7-aN88&list=UUT01b7i_GF9H9-u9N9e22AQ&index=1&feature=plcp]Montezuma Valley Rd. 9-08-12 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMvngnpBJ3k&list=UUT01b7i_GF9H9-u9N9e22AQ&index=1&feature=plcp]Wild Turkeys 9 08 12 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
man i cant wait to build up some decent vacation time, i will be making a trip out there!!! i just dont know when lol:BLAA:

I love the sceenery though, id love to make a cross country trip.

My work is sending me up to chicago in october for some vacuum furnace training and im going to try and talk them into letting me ride up instead of flying!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome stuff, Cliff!! :thumbup:

Cool bugs, amazing roads as always, and I LOVE the sound of your bike when the cam is pointing to the back!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
man i cant wait to build up some decent vacation time, i will be making a trip out there!!! i just dont know when lol:BLAA:

I love the sceenery though, id love to make a cross country trip.

My work is sending me up to chicago in october for some vacuum furnace training and im going to try and talk them into letting me ride up instead of flying!

You're welcome for a ride out here just about anytime! Actually this is our less ridden time of year in the desert because it gets so hot but we still end up out there. :D We were hot Saturday but it wasn't too hot and the elevations were pretty nice.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How the heck did you notice the thing on the ground:BLAA:

Well it's a very large insect but Ray pointed it out to us and told us it was a female ant. It chirps! It's got a stinger that will impress you. I actually called the Ranchita store and told them to tell Ray not to mess with those cuz he gets life flighted out every time he gets stung. He thinks it's an ant and that's the common name for those. "Velvet Ant" or "Cow Killers"

The sound they make is called stridulation and usually produced by rubbing body parts together.

Last edited:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great videos Cliff, thanks! :thumbup:

It's been so long since I've been down to see you guys I've forgotten what Officer Peterson looks like.. :BLAA:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First time I rode in over a month. Talk about stiff. :rolleyes:

Ray is a hoot. What was his home remedy for windshield rain treatment? Water and tobacco. Just wipe it on and the rain will bead up and roll right off! :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First time I rode in over a month. Talk about stiff. :rolleyes:

Ray is a hoot. What was his home remedy for windshield rain treatment? Water and tobacco. Just wipe it on and the rain will bead up and roll right off! :D

I'm buying a plug a chawn t'bacci for our next trip and keepin my face shield clear! :eek:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fantastic videos Cliff , I love your work :thumbup:

Cant wait till the day I get the chance to come & meet you guys so we can head into the hills & I can say G'day to the likes of Ray & Officer JP :rockon:

The chirping bug it a cool little critter ;) & before I go...............

G'Day Ray !!!! how you doing ??? :BLAA:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fantastic videos Cliff , I love your work :thumbup:

Cant wait till the day I get the chance to come & meet you guys so we can head into the hills & I can say G'day to the likes of Ray & Officer JP :rockon:

The chirping bug it a cool little critter ;) & before I go...............

G'Day Ray !!!! how you doing ??? :BLAA:

Thank you Daniel!!
I'll print this out for Ray and bring it to him on the next ride. I don't think he has a computer.. :)

These roads and FZ6 forum friends are wait for you Brother Dan!!! :rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Correction: We rode on Friday!
That's what happens when you don't have to go to work!
:rolleyes: :p

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff, I was so dissappointed you did not pick up that harmless little wasp :BLAA:

We have them up here but they have Yellow hair and I have not heard them make any noise.

Perhaps I can bring down the KTM this winter once it cools down from your usual 10 million degrees you call a bit hot :eek:

Fun to see you boys out playing on roads I know. Gayle says hi to you and Brian!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The wasp stridulate when they're pissed off or threatened. Crickets do it because they're always horny... :rolleyes:

Hugs to Gayle! The next time you're down here we have to head to my pad and I'll rustle us up some home style viddles.

I looked up that wasp and she has some serious stinging skills with the tool to deliver even through a thick hide.

Would love to see and hear the Katoom!!

Last edited: