Going from clip-on mod back to handlebars - rookie questions

ricecows

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys.

I bought my FZ6 with a clip-on mod, but I want to go back to handlebars (well, I have to, it needs to undergo inspection from the authorities and it can't do a turn at full lock, becaue the clip-ons hit the tank..).

I don't have a good photo, but this shows what I have now:

Udklip.JPG

I want to attach a normal handlebar, but I have no idea what I need to order.

When I browse the internet for handlebars, I see most of them come with clamps. Does this just fit right into the two "holes" or how does that work?

Sorry for my English, it's not my mothertongue :)

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
Handlebar and upper triple for start. Seems that your triple is cut to remove the original handlebar mounting points

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus 1 ^^^. A new UPPER triple, bar clamps, bar ends, bars.

There are numerous bikes being parted out here, you may want to check the F/S section or post a WTB.

It'd be a BUNCH cheaper than brand new..

I don't know about the cables, if they were replaced with shorter ones or not (I don't see any excess in that pic)
Hopefully, he didn't hack up the wiring harnesses to shorten them. I'd look for ANY DINKING, electrical tape "fixes"
in all the harness's by the controls..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Exactly.... You can use your existing fork "pinch" bolts as the E-Bay one is missing them..

. The ignition switch bolts in from the bottom. The rest of the switch's/wiring you should be good.

Make sure the bike is on the CC. Lift the bike by the header, just to get the weight off the ft wheel, when you remove the upper triple.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ But why?
The lower triple is there. Its cast steel and suitable for the job.

If you find S2 triple for cheaper or closer you could use that also....
steering.gif

steeringhandlecable.gif

You will have to drill out the bolts holding the ignition lock to the top triple. This best done by flipping it over and placing it on the stanchion tube and then tighten the single pinch bolt. You will need new bolts.....
Then again, who knows, maybe the PO used standard bolts and you can just unbolt it??

Bar ends, any missing brackets, new grips, new bars and FZ1 bars may get you closer to what you have now. They are flat and look like so:
attachment.php

Good luck!