Global Warming Causes

Global Warming is the result of...

• Man made reasons - (burned fuel, carbon monoxide etc.)

Votes: 35 44.9%
  • Cyclical reasons - the global temperatures fluctuate up and down

Votes: 41 52.6%
  • Don't know, don't care

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Having watched some of the U.S. Vice Presidential Debate, a question was posed regarding energy consumption.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's natural,records don't go back far enough to prove otherwise.Some people are making a lot of money out of scaring people , remember Y2K ?

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Getting the ball rolling, I opted for man made cause to global warming. I think common sense, and chemistry proves that trapped gases in our atmosophere trap the heat (green house effect) and thus constantly heat up our planet.
I too am for research and use of alternative energy sources, other than petroleum.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's natural,records don't go back far enough to prove otherwise.Some people are making a lot of money out of scaring people , remember Y2K ?

Thank you for voting. I take it you opted for cyclical causes then. But have we experienced the Ice Age again?;)

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a very honest answer to this one - I don't know (but do care!) I am not a scientist and have not conducted my own research to even know if carbon analysis is being done correctly. Would be interesting to study and learn more about. - my two cents

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
These climate shifts were here before man walked the Earth. They will come and go regardless of what we do while here. While I think we contribute, it's part of a small percentage.

Don't forget the Sun is every-so-slowly expanding as it uses its fuel supply. This is the normal life of a star as it burns, expands, exhausts its fuel and then goes super-nova only to become a white dwarf.

Either way, the Earth has a finite amount of time left.

FlyguyCFI

Reaction score
Visit site
These climate shifts were here before man walked the Earth. They will come and go regardless of what we do while here. While I think we contribute, it's part of a small percentage.

Don't forget the Sun is every-so-slowly expanding as it uses its fuel supply. This is the normal life of a star as it burns, expands, exhausts its fuel and then goes super-nova only to become a white dwarf.

Either way, the Earth has a finite amount of time left.

+1

That's exactly how I feel about it as well.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
I vote man made to a point. The normal warming and cooling cycles is one thing but the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere is higher than at any point in the last 400,000+ years. They found this by studying ice core samples from Antarctica. So yes we may be in a warming period but we are damaging the earth regardless. Maybe with the damage done and the earth going through a warming period, the earth won't be able to cope. The thing is we just don't know. I do not know the specifics but lets say that the warmest temp in all the years back has been 3 degrees celsius higher than it is today. But maybe now with the damage done at the next cycles hottest point maybe its 5 degrees higher. maybe its a temp that the earth cant cope with. We just don't know. All we do know is the crap in the environment now wasn't there before the industrial revolution.

S

sportrider

I say buy a gas hog, drive fast and remove all the smog crap. also ride hard , dump your used oil down a gopher hole and throw away the filter in the trash can (just hide it inside some other trash) recycling is for tree huggers personally I like chainsaws, and I'm talking good old smoke belching two strokes not those gutless eco-friendly electrics. I'm pro global warming, not all of my Buddy's can live in Ca where they can ride year round, I say let the planet warm up extend the riding season!
what about the polar ice caps? think about it if it's hot enough to melt the caps most of it will evaporate anyway, god knows it wouldn't hurt if it rained in So Cal every once in a while. maybe if it rained more we wouldn't have all the wild fires we have now.
See anyway you look at it, it's a win-win situation. and if I'm wrong??? who cares, the next generation will figure it out. :D

EDIT: I voted; don't know, don't care

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an observation related to this topic. Doesn't it seem like the eighteen wheelers have tons of smoke pouring out of their exhaust all the time? Wouldn't it make more sense to give them emissions. I don't know exact figures, but just observing with my eyes - I would guess one Mac truck would put out 50 times more exhaust smoke and smog than a car. What do you guys think?

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an observation related to this topic. Doesn't it seem like the eighteen wheelers have tons of smoke pouring out of their exhaust all the time? Wouldn't it make more sense to give them emissions. I don't know exact figures, but just observing with my eyes - I would guess one Mac truck would put out 50 times more exhaust smoke and smog than a car. What do you guys think?

+1 Absolutely

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some people are making a lot of money out of scaring people , remember Y2K ?

Perhaps that was a win for the technologists? Like no further mass terrorism in the US for the last 7 years?

On the environment, I don't feel nearly qualified to cast a vote. However, as a businessperson, I would like some more data, including historical, cyclical (which has not been provided in the mainstream) to make a judgment.

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
there was a thread about this already a lil while back which i contributed to and will say the same thing here. i strongly believe that the climate changes that are currently occurring is primarily due to the cyclical pattern but are having a significant influence on man. although we are the dominant species on this planet, we will never reign over the power of mother nature. and of course mother nature has been here much longer than we have. however, we do pose somewhat of an affect to the power of mother nature. take for example despite the ice melting in the north, there are certain parts of the world actually getting colder average temperatures. our focus is up there with stating that there is "global warming" mainly because it is threatening certain species. and of course the only other concern with that ice melting is the rise in sea level and change in currents which have already occurred. i believe that this "warming" for a period is only a sign for a new ice age to inevitably come.

btw, i feel and have been thinking for a while now about the very important point Gov. Palin made about energy renewal and independence. changing our policies on energy will significantly affect policies in other areas which we could improve on from economics to global relations. energy is serious issue which should be more carefully regarded.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site

The new regulations for heavy equipment is changing big time. It's all the old garbage that doesn't get maintained or rebuilt when they should.
The new stuff have things like EGR valves, regenerating diesel particulate filters, variable geometry turbos and advanced EFI which is things pretty clean.

It's taking the whole "go green" movement to get here but at least they are now. I'd be interested what regulations air crafts and ships have.

S

sportrider

as of June 1st all heavy duty trucks are required to have a catalytic converter and are required to meet EPA emission standards. however there is still a grey area for trucks built on or before the 2008 model year. there has been talk of having to retro-fit the older iron but due to the high cost and dramatic effects it would have on the trucking industry I'm sure there will end up being a "grandfather" clause

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site

i can relate to your observation. im hopefully on track to volvo diesel engineering. volvo (who bought out mack) are trying to design trucks more economical, efficient, and environmentally friendly. from aerodynamics to power improvements. it is true that diesel engines produce more smog than gasoline powered. however the catch 22 is that diesel is much easier to refine and obtain. but trucks play a key role in daily life (anything you own was in a truck at some point in time) and will continue doing so in the future. however, what you probably dont even realize is that more of that smog is coming from when those trucks are idling than when they're actually being driven. so along with more regulations being placed on that issue, volvo is looking to power those idling trucks with generators producing power from when it is actually driven then sourcing power for when they are idling. also those generators would be powering heavy machinery when they too are idling or running at low rpm's. more key engineering innovations to come with diesel.

btw from the above post, yes, it is indeed true that a big part of the problem is with the older generations of trucks with much lower epa standards. and also, there was something going around for truck dealerships to provide incentives for commercial companies to trade in their older models for newer ones. my father's company for one did so.

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I say buy a gas hog, drive fast and remove all the smog crap. also ride hard , dump your used oil down a gopher hole and throw away the filter in the trash can (just hide it inside some other trash) recycling is for tree huggers personally I like chainsaws, and I'm talking good old smoke belching two strokes not those gutless eco-friendly electrics. I'm pro global warming, not all of my Buddy's can live in Ca where they can ride year round, I say let the planet warm up extend the riding season!
what about the polar ice caps? think about it if it's hot enough to melt the caps most of it will evaporate anyway, god knows it wouldn't hurt if it rained in So Cal every once in a while. maybe if it rained more we wouldn't have all the wild fires we have now.
See anyway you look at it, it's a win-win situation. and if I'm wrong??? who cares, the next generation will figure it out. :D

EDIT: I voted; don't know, don't care

Flippin' awesome Danny! :thumbup: :D :rockon: What a GREAT laugh this was!

Sometimes someone simply says what I really wanted to say and didn't. :bow:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Who cares what`s causing it... probably a mix of a lot of factors... the point is that it`s there, and has the potential to change our day to day lives in a negative way... and our pollution isn`t helping. Clean energy is the future anyway, and we`re just starting to realize it and entrepreneurs are getting involved... so it`s all good :rockon: