Glasspacks anyone? :)

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question to put to the floor. First I'm no mechanic, I would be a bit concerned that if you put a T section instead of a Y could you get a bit of unwanted back pressure that you could damage your valves ? My wife calls my bike the other woman ( I would have to agree with her ). If I damaged my engine with a mod like this it would have to sit for a while untill I could afford to fix her.

Thanks Doc

I'd want a Y more for better flow. The T is a big restriction. If you're building it, might as well do it right.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd want a Y more for better flow. The T is a big restriction. If you're building it, might as well do it right.

Have you seen inside the stock muffler?
There are 2 plates in there with about 1" tubes running on the sides so this setup will still flow way better than stock. And since the glass packs are pretty much straight pipes the T will keep it from being wide open and should keep enough back pressure to not cause any problems.

This picture is kind of blurry but you can still get the idea of what the inside of the stock one looks like.

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site

There are 2 plates in there with about 1" tubes running on the sides so this setup will still flow way better than stock. And since the glass packs are pretty much straight pipes the T will keep it from being wide open and should keep enough back pressure to not cause any problems.

This picture is kind of blurry but you can still get the idea of what the inside of the stock one looks like.

If He's only looking for better sound, then I'm with Chevy. The "T" pipes shouldn't cause any degradation of performance compared to the stock muffler but should sound nice with the glasspacks.

If,, like most of us, he wants better sound and better performance, then I'm with Fizzer. The brutal bends and twists that the exhaust gasses go through in the stock muffler should be avoided or why replace it.

BTW: I just went through doing a new exhaust on mine. I know exactly why he chose the "T",,,, space,,,, it's very limited, that's why so many aftermarkets pipes have the "h" pipe or other hard bend type setup. I think an "h" setup, with smooth bends is better then the hard 90* of the "T" but either is a compromise compared to ideal.

Last edited:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
If He's only looking for better sound, then I'm with Chevy. The "T" pipes shouldn't cause any degradation of performance compared to the stock muffler but should sound nice with the glasspacks.

If,, like most of us, he wants better sound and better performance, then I'm with Fizzer. The brutal bends and twists that the exhaust gasses go through in the stock muffler should be avoided or why replace it.

BTW: I just went through doing a new exhaust on mine. I know exactly why he chose the "T",,,, space,,,, it's very limited, that's why so many aftermarkets pipes have the "h" pipe or other hard bend type setup. I think an "h" setup, with smooth bends is better then the hard 90* of the "T" but either is a compromise compared to ideal.

That's kind of my point. If you're going to go through the trouble of making it, you might as well do it "right" and get the most out of it that you can.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
. . . . . .

You need to drink more - that's hard on my eyes! :welcome:

My thought was exactly the same,"Have you seen inside . . . "
It might actually help maintain some mid bottom torque! :eek:

What I've been contemplating is finding a short stubby muff and cramming in it where the CAT resides. Then run some basic straight pipes out the tail with a bit of bell for tone volume. Finding a muffler with an offset inlet/outlet in that size = trouble!

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to let this go for so long without updates. Here's whats happened....

A few pics to show the mounting of the stock muffler vs. the glasspacks for FinalImpacts vibration concern.
View attachment 42132View attachment 42133View attachment 42134
View attachment 42135View attachment 42136View attachment 42137

microage97 If you really wanna buy a set I'd build it for ya. Consider how long it has taken me to get my own done, and finish quality (is good enough for me good enough for you?) before you put in an order.

chimneydoc Seems like the back pressure question has been answered by the members after your question.But.....If you follow the flow path at the T the gasses do run into a "wall" but have two escape routes that are equal inside diameter of the supplying pipe. That eliminates possible excessive pressure buildup.

Shockwave All you need to build your own parts is willingness to try it again while learning from your mistakes until you get the desired outcome.

04fizzerMy goal is to build an exhaust system that makes more noise than stock that directly bolts into the stock location and can be returned to stock at will. Without putting it on a flow bench I'd say it does flow better than stock. I agree that a Y would flow even better but as for achieving my goal, it does exactly as its intended ie I did get it right. :D

ChevyFazer I have that same stock muffler drawing!

Phil_RC_1 Yep, all I was looking for was more sound. But I lost 1lb as a side effect in the process LOL. As for the "h" vs "T" the "h" will flow plenty out 1 side. Another reason I put the "T" was to make use of both mufflers. After all I had to pay for both of em, might as well use em.

And to all, I spent another $3.50 on paint and $7 for a clamp.
View attachment 42138
That brings the running total up to $80.50

I promise a before/after fly by vid will be made and posted as soon as I get it in its finished state. Which I hope is real soon LOL

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
Phil_RC_1 Yep, all I was looking for was more sound. But I lost 1lb as a side effect in the process LOL. As for the "h" vs "T" the "h" will flow plenty out 1 side. Another reason I put the "T" was to make use of both mufflers. After all I had to pay for both of em, might as well use em.

I promise a before/after fly by vid will be made and posted as soon as I get it in its finished state. Which I hope is real soon LOL

For what it's worth: If you look close at the "h" pipe that I used, the main pipe is an "S" bend, which is a full 2" diameter all the way through. The short part of the "h" is welded onto the main pipe and there is a simple 1.25" hole cut in the main pipe that feeds the short piece. So the longer route has full, free flow, the shorter route has the 1.25" restriction. This evens the flow through both exits fairly well.

Looking forward to the video and sound.

picture.php

microage97

Reaction score
Visit site
Very interested.What are you thinking on price? I want to see pics of the bike and a fly by would be the deal sealer. How does it sound put together? I know I currently scare the soccer mom's into virgins on the interstate when I fly by in 3rd taching 10K with my drilled exhaust, but this is Minnesoda after all. :Flip: It is pretty darn loud on the bike I can only wonder about the back end.

microage97

Reaction score
Visit site
How was the power? Will I need a PC3 or PC5? I filled up with 91 Octane non-onxy and I think the computer adjusted the timing as the bike was peppier and more growly....

Dave

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That does sound pretty hot!

I can't keep from thinking, however, it wouldn't be easier just to go with the traditional h piece (due to the space constraints) and using a flap or something (perhaps even a constriction) on the straight part of the h to utilise both sides?

Just a thought, but surely that'd be easier than using a T piece?

Thoughts/opinions?

Cheers,
Rick

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
That does sound pretty hot!

I can't keep from thinking, however, it wouldn't be easier just to go with the traditional h piece (due to the space constraints) and using a flap or something (perhaps even a constriction) on the straight part of the h to utilise both sides?

Just a thought, but surely that'd be easier than using a T piece?

Thoughts/opinions?

Cheers,
Rick

The "h" piece would actually be more difficult. Not in fabbing up the pieces because that would be about the same, but trying to get them to flow the same, hell the big exhaust companies can't do it and they have crazy big R&D funds. I tried 3 times to get mine even and finally settled for good enough, the problem is not knowing how much a choke point, baffle, or flap will effect the flow.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The "h" piece would actually be more difficult. Not in fabbing up the pieces because that would be about the same, but trying to get them to flow the same

Ok, I understand this, but does it matter if they don't flow exactly the same?

The stock setup utilises the same h piece. Since the glasspacks have significantly less restriction, whether they flow the same or no is essentially irrelevant.

All I was thinking of is perhaps installing a restrictor into the straight-through pipe, or perhaps even a flap.

There is much less restriction than stock by using the glasspacks, so the end benefit would still be substantial, and using an h piece would assist with the packaging.

the problem is not knowing how much a choke point, baffle, or flap will effect the flow.

As we're using at least double the diameter tubing (than stock) with no internal restriction (like the stock baffles) then I imagine it wouldn't matter greatly. Remember, double the diameter and no internal restriction means you could entirely close one off and STILL have better flow - to to install a restrictor of half the diameter of the glasspack would just force the gasses to take the path of least resistance (i.e. the other glasspack), and this would still result in less than 1/3 of the stock resistance. (one double diameter with no restriction, and one with diameter restriction)

My thoughts anyway...

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. This rough 1/3rd back of envelope calculation is of the muffler only, obviously there would be no change with the stock headers etc.

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For what it's worth: If you look close at the "h" pipe that I used, the main pipe is an "S" bend, which is a full 2" diameter all the way through. The short part of the "h" is welded onto the main pipe and there is a simple 1.25" hole cut in the main pipe that feeds the short piece. So the longer route has full, free flow, the shorter route has the 1.25" restriction. This evens the flow through both exits fairly well.

This is exactly what I was talking about!

I wish I'd seen that earlier!

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I understand this, but does it matter if they don't flow exactly the same?

The stock setup utilises the same h piece. Since the glasspacks have significantly less restriction, whether they flow the same or no is essentially irrelevant.

All I was thinking of is perhaps installing a restrictor into the straight-through pipe, or perhaps even a flap.

There is much less restriction than stock by using the glasspacks, so the end benefit would still be substantial, and using an h piece would assist with the packaging.

As we're using at least double the diameter tubing (than stock) with no internal restriction (like the stock baffles) then I imagine it wouldn't matter greatly. Remember, double the diameter and no internal restriction means you could entirely close one off and STILL have better flow - to to install a restrictor of half the diameter of the glasspack would just force the gasses to take the path of least resistance (i.e. the other glasspack), and this would still result in less than 1/3 of the stock resistance. (one double diameter with no restriction, and one with diameter restriction)

My thoughts anyway...

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. This rough 1/3rd back of envelope calculation is of the muffler only, obviously there would be no change with the stock headers etc.

You would think that closing it half off would even it out but it doesn't, exhaust gases act funny, and no it really doesn't matter if they both flowed even but it mattered to me. One of the 1st things people do when they see it and hear it is put their hand up to the pipes to see if they notice a flow difference. So no it don't matter but it's just one of those things that it matters to the person building it, like the reason why I choose to use soldier and heat shrink vs wire nuts and electrical tape. Yes it will be fine but I will know its there lol