Glass in rear tire

sdawg17

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone, I just arrived in Big Bear Lake and found a nice chunk of glass in my rear tire. It's dead in the center, on my almost brand new pilot powers... less than 1k on them and there's a nice hole. It's not leaking, I don't think, I'll find out soon, but what I couldn't find on other threads was what to worry about/do with the exterior of the tire? SHould I use a glue or fill it or forget about it? I ride "kinda" hard, so I don't want my tire to go awol on me on a turn... Thanks!

rdrManny

Reaction score
Visit site
Tricky situation. I had nail two weeks back in my rear. Air was not leaking , then I try to remove nail the air started leaking. I put tire plug I got from Target store. But later local mechanic advised to patch it from inside instead of putting tire plug from outside. Since your tire is new if the puncture is deep you better of patching the tire from inside.

sdawg17

Reaction score
Visit site
I pulled the glass out (gloveless +1) and I did not hear any hissing, even with my ear on the tire. I hit an industrial staple with my last tire and it broke through, but I'm hoping that since these are pretty new, it's in the very center, and so far there's no leaking, that I'll be fine..

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I pulled the glass out (gloveless +1) and I did not hear any hissing, even with my ear on the tire. I hit an industrial staple with my last tire and it broke through, but I'm hoping that since these are pretty new, it's in the very center, and so far there's no leaking, that I'll be fine..

Id put some soapy watter on it to make sure its not leaking because on slow leaks they can be impossible to hear but if it is leaking you will see bubbles form over the hole with soapy water to be 100% sure and if its not then I would just froget about it and check it off as some good luck

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
What Kazza said. If you ride hard your life ain't worth it! I got a huge self-tapping sheet metal screw in the dead center of my new rear tire with only 800 miles on it! (It went in sideways instead of pointed too!)
Anyway, the way I ride, I didn't chance repairing it, (only if I was out somewhere and in a bind would I do that and then I would patch it from the inside).
Wherever something goes in remember that you have a really thin place there now. JMO Be careful and good luck whatever you do!

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
my personal experinece.. i got a couple of glass shards in both my front and rear tyres (metzeler ractecs)(pretty new as well at the time)not in the same time interval but pretty close to each other.. the shards were fairly thick, i decided to remove them and put some soapy water to check for air leaks.. everything was fine and forgot about it....2000km later and the tyres are still perfoming good. so if air is not leaking i wouldnt bother.. if air is leaking even slightly, i would change the tyre, its the only thing that contacts the road. repair them as a quick fix but have them changed.

Esra

Reaction score
Visit site
You now have a weak point in the tyre, they expand and contract with each heat cycle so it will just keep getting weaker.

Everytime you go through turn you'll be thinking of that tyre. Gotta be able to trust your rubber.

Seriously your life isn't worth a couple hundred bucks?

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey in a life or death situation, would you want a tire with a huge hole in it ready to blow out?

Thats one of those things you take with a grain of salt. Yeah it sucks you just bought the tire, maybe you can convince your dealer to give you a bargain because of the inconvenience.

I personally, though, wouldn't ride that tire anywhere but home or to the shop - and I've ridden with some pretty gnarley tires before.

DeusEx

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd put some soapwater on it, to see if it bubbles. If not, I'd forget about it.
If it's bubbling, I'd would have a patch fitted from the inside out, as I have on my current rear power pilot 2ct. It's perfectly safe, I've ridden many km's with it, with no problems, on a long trip, and at top end speed.
Costs about 20e, and needs the tire to be removed so the patch can be fitted from the inside.