Givi Crash Bars...

jazond

KneeDragger in training
Reaction score
Visit site
I fell off the map for a bit there... Wife and I are about to pop out number 2. :eek: so there has been alot of preparing stuff. Got a last minute "I need to ride!" moment and went out and bought new toys.

To make a short story long, I got the Givi crash bars installed last night. Solid as heck, look great - oil filter is even accessable. But the plug isnt. That is kinda crappy. Anyone who has them installed, how did the last oil change go and did you install highway pegs? I cannot find any reasonbly priced (that dont look stupid, or are not chrome).

Also, got a FE kit installed, new blinkers front and back on the way, and the Givi soft bag supports installed. And found a great way to carry an extra 2 liters of fuel onboard. :) Oh, and picked up a Teknic Supervent Mesh jacket.

I guess the thought of kiddo number 2 is scaring the money right outa me. :D (Still need pants, Puig, and Firstgear tailbag... )

Will try to get pics tomorrow...

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the crash bars and love 'em. Plan to add some highway pegs but haven't gotten around to it yet. I installed them at the last oil change so don't know abou that yet.

jazond

KneeDragger in training
Reaction score
Visit site
Otay... Adding pictures. It is a working in progress, aka - I dont have the rear blinkers yet, and the wiring is not done.

First, my new Fuel Haulers (and the FE kit). :rockon:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

They are mounted to the inside of a Givi T351 soft bag support kit, that means 2 allens per side and we are back to a non touring setup.

Next, Givi crash bars.

Left...
picture.php

Right...
picture.php

12v Power. (with cable long enough to drop right in the saddle bag)
picture.php

And back to the tank bag convo, here it is holding a 2 liter camelback and my clear helmet visor. Works great!
picture.php

Thanks fer lookin! :thumbup: I want my blinkers!

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
The crash bars look great! Where did you pick them up at? Also, where did you find the holders for the fuel tanks?

Thanks!!!

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
Those givi crash guard are really wonderful to protect the bike in a fall, trust me it has happened to me. Last november I had a crash, bike slid for several meters and thanks to the bars engine cover and chasis didn't get any damage at all.

After that the guard had to be replaced so while installing it I ground down the drain plug 2 threads, in some post forum member Mrfirebutt said he did that and worked, but unfortunately it wasn't enough for me, so I added two washers in one of the guard installation points and problem solved, the oil filter has never been a problem and now the drain plug is not an issue anymore, actually last weekend I did my first oil change after the mod and everything worked like a charm :cheer:

Look at the installation diagram for the left side, the red circle indicates where I added the washers.

Note: mine is a 08 naked model, but given that the bolt that goes in that point is exactly the same for the US faired model (I have verified the part number for both naked european and faired US 90105-10N53) anyone willing to do the same mod and eventually needing to add the washers won't have any problem.

jazond

KneeDragger in training
Reaction score
Visit site

manju

Reaction score
Visit site
I also got the Givi Crash Bars, It's pretty good,

but i think the bar have a design defect, it is need to remove the bars every oil filter change...

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that fuel holder idea is pretty good... I have also been looking for a way to carry those msr fuel bottles in some sort of encloser... I might have to "borrow" your idea.. thanks again for the pics and good luck with the new baby!!!

Caladin

Reaction score
Visit site
I also got the Givi Crash Bars, It's pretty good,

but i think the bar have a design defect, it is need to remove the bars every oil filter change...

I'm not sure why people are saying they need to remove the bars to do an oil change. I have not had any problems changing the oil/filter with the Givi bars on. The filter is easy to access and the drain plug is no problem either. I just use a regular open end wrench on the drain plug to break it free, and then spin it out with my fingers the rest of the way. No clearance issues. I have not gone and ground down the plug either.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
Those givi crash guard are really wonderful to protect the bike in a fall, trust me it has happened to me. Last november I had a crash, bike slid for several meters and thanks to the bars engine cover and chasis didn't get any damage at all.

After that the guard had to be replaced so while installing it I ground down the drain plug 2 threads, in some post forum member Mrfirebutt said he did that and worked, but unfortunately it wasn't enough for me, so I added two washers in one of the guard installation points and problem solved, the oil filter has never been a problem and now the drain plug is not an issue anymore, actually last weekend I did my first oil change after the mod and everything worked like a charm :cheer:

Look at the installation diagram for the left side, the red circle indicates where I added the washers.

Note: mine is a 08 naked model, but given that the bolt that goes in that point is exactly the same for the US faired model (I have verified the part number for both naked european and faired US 90105-10N53) anyone willing to do the same mod and eventually needing to add the washers won't have any problem.

Hello Caladin, you have a pre 2007 FZ6, and I think in that case the drain plug is located in a different place, that is why you haven't had any problems draining the oil. Just correct me if I am wrong please.

Anyway for 2007 onwards just look at my post below.

Regards

djstrong

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the GIVI bars and on my last oil change I tried to remove the drain plug without taking off the guard and I could not. The Plug did not have enough room to come out. I decided not to grind down the drain plug, and just loosen guard bolts when I do an oil change. I don't like to remove the guard bolts every time I do an oil change, so I might try the washer/spacer next time.

I wonder if GIVI has an updated design that allows more room at the drain plug. Or if it just firs some bikes differently, or if we have different drain plug lengths.

Happy riding.
DJ

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
I really recommend you grinding down the plug, just two threads, and the spacers if needed, somebody on the forum just did the plug stuff and without spaces required.

You won't regret it at all, I have made so far two oil changes without the most single problem.

Cheers.

F

FZ6 Naked!

Have never posted, but love to come here for most of my research. In fact, because of the endorsement of the guy who crashed with his Givi bars, I went with them instead of the SW-Motechs. I have a 2009 FZ6 S2 (full naked)...kind of a pain looking for parts since everyone seems to have the fazer model. Doesn't matter...the bars were great minus 2 things. The expected one is the oil drain plug. It most certainly IS blocked by the bar, but the filter was not. Please see the pictures.
The thing I didn't count on was that in the middle where the 2 main bars join together is a washer. Not really sure what its purpose is. But mounted below that is where you tighten the bars...that also has a spacer. It is as tight as it goes, but the main bars still leave too much room and the washer starts spinning and jiggling and making TONS of noise around the 4k RPM range. I know, I describe it ass-tastically...good thing for you there are more pictures.
Anyway, thought I'd give the update.

F

FZ6 Naked!

I took it back in since I thought the piece might need to be ground down a bit so that it could tighten more to get rid of the washer rattle. All my tools are in storage since I recently moved overseas so I didn't spend much time with it. When they gave me the bike back and I asked what they had done I was simply told, "It's fixed now." I asked twice and got the same response, so my guess is that perhaps they simply didn't tighten it down properly the first time.
I absolutely love the bars though and they're are silent and perfect now!

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
I took it back in since I thought the piece might need to be ground down a bit so that it could tighten more to get rid of the washer rattle. All my tools are in storage since I recently moved overseas so I didn't spend much time with it. When they gave me the bike back and I asked what they had done I was simply told, "It's fixed now." I asked twice and got the same response, so my guess is that perhaps they simply didn't tighten it down properly the first time.
I absolutely love the bars though and they're are silent and perfect now!

Pretty nice to hear the bars are working for you :D

Cheers

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I fell off the map for a bit there... Wife and I are about to pop out number 2. :eek: so there has been alot of preparing stuff. Got a last minute "I need to ride!" moment and went out and bought new toys.

To make a short story long, I got the Givi crash bars installed last night. Solid as heck, look great - oil filter is even accessable. But the plug isnt. That is kinda crappy. Anyone who has them installed, how did the last oil change go and did you install highway pegs? I cannot find any reasonbly priced (that dont look stupid, or are not chrome).

Also, got a FE kit installed, new blinkers front and back on the way, and the Givi soft bag supports installed. And found a great way to carry an extra 2 liters of fuel onboard. :) Oh, and picked up a Teknic Supervent Mesh jacket.

I guess the thought of kiddo number 2 is scaring the money right outa me. :D (Still need pants, Puig, and Firstgear tailbag... )

Will try to get pics tomorrow...

You might try fitting a drain valve in there. They make valves that seat where the plug goes and you lift and rotate a small arm to drain it. They are used in the auto world.

Also; other members have had issues with the guard breaking near the mounts. I suggest you loosen one side of the guard and see if doing so allows the guard to open a gap on the side you loosened. Hint look at the mounting area. If it does, add small shims, washers, or spacers between the guard and the mount so there is NO GAP and then tighten it down. Hint: forcing it down by cinching it with the bolt can lead to stress fractures if it has to close a gap. Even the space of coin is big deal and can lead to stress on the pipe and welds. Fill the space with a washer.

Make sense?

Last edited:

Lucifer Caitiff

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,
It doesn't look like there's a whole lot of info out there on these bars, but judging from the pictures, it looks like if I wanted, I could mount up some awesome foot rests on there to sit in a more relaxed position during long rides.

I'm doing a ton of research on getting my 07 ready for a road trip up the west coast and back. Anything to make my ride more comfortable is going to be money well spent.

Thoughts?