Geocaching

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that was so cool Mikey! I looked into this and found that there was a cache less than 500m from where we live. Put the coordinates into the GPS, hauled out with my younger daughter and found it no probs (she did :shakehead:)

Our first of many more to come! :cheer:

Thanks for bringing this up, I think me and the kids are going to have some fun.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that was so cool Mikey! I looked into this and found that there was a cache less than 500m from where we live. Put the coordinates into the GPS, hauled out with my younger daughter and found it no probs (she did :shakehead:)

Our first of many more to come! :cheer:

Thanks for bringing this up, I think me and the kids are going to have some fun.

Glad you found it as enjoyable as we did mate , i think we all owe Mike a rep point :D :thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, thanks guys. It's nice in this day and age to be able to point out something this cool and wholesomely family entertainmenty...lol.

Coolest thing I reckon is the international ones, where you have to team up with folks from several different countries because you need the information contained in their caches and they need what's in yours to complete it. Makes the world seem smaller and friendlier I guess:thumbup:.

Cheers
Mike

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks again folks. All this talk of Caching has got me motivated to get off my loafing kazoo and go do some caches.:thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Humpy clan picked up another 2 on xmas day :D and failed 1 :( gunna hafta go back for that 1..... Might head out tonight for some more if the weather holds out for us :thumbup:

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
If you do Hunters Fall (GCYJ3W) I could pick it up and do some popular roads for pics then send it on. With the Travel bugs you can do multiple destination points or make it travel via places I think....not sure...I'd have to do some reading. If you can though, I'd certainly consider doing other states as well. Be nice to get pics in front of the Mall's balls in Adelaide or on the Harbour Bridge or Opera House steps in Sydney and maybe even a Phillip Island one for Victoria etc.

I'm still thinking this is a totally awesome idea....lol.:rockon:

Edit..... I could even organize to get a photo of it with some whale sharks when the season starts...lol...My ex is nerdy enough to think this is cool and she's working over that way presently...lol.
Cheers
Mike

Ok, so I will make it a blue vs red race with destination Hunters Fall. Got the dog tags now, only have to mark one of them as the red one, will do so tomorrow. Geocaching.com seems to be back in the air (but still slow) so I can register the TBs. Last task is to determine the starting point, I have some good options around here, will check them out today.

This is fun :D

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, the Fazer 1000 travel bugs are go :thumbup:

On the last day of the year 2009 I dropped the red and blue Fazer in GC20HQ6: Unofficial BookCrossing Zone Dijnselburg close to my home. One of them has already been picked up. Let's see how fast they get to Oz...

Ok. I'll be keeping an eye out for them. Stopped off at this cache the other day so I know I can find it...lol.:thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got 'em both on my watchlist so I get an email everytime they are picked up and put down...lol...very exciting (yeah I know. Get a life) and look forward to getting home and checking my emails...lol.:cheer:

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Back when the new mini was released the were 3 hidden around the UK Burried in containers or something..i remember thinking how cool this was,and then didnt give it another thought untill i saw this thread and also noticed the iphone app..im gonna have a go at this.. i love the concept and the whole familly bonding thing..thnaks for the heads up :thumbup:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
When I got my bike, a co-worker told me about this and gave me a web site that he uses a lot (I'll have to ask him what the site was again). It sounds like a blast - I don't have a GPS (yet), but would like to give it a whirl when I do. You are right - there are a lot of locations all around you and if you don't know about geocaching, you are clueless to them.

Just saw this thread and thought it was funny. Seems you will have a new hobby this spring. Congrats Again.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
im off this morning ..there a cache about 1.5 miles away so the missus is gonna take my girl to ballet and ill take the boy on a mystery tour (if i can drag him away from the wii)

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You do now, get to it! :rockon:

I just registered myself and when I search South Africa it gives me an error :(

I just had a look at South Africa and it came up fine:confused:.

Usually the way it works is when you register you enter your home co-ords (somewhere near home) and it'll then display the Geocaches in increasing distance from the given co-ords, or you use the country search etc.

You could try to download the Google Earth kml file and use Google Earth to find stuff near home or where you are going. That's how I usually do it anyway.:thumbup:

Hope you can get it working.

Cheers
Mike

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
If you do Hunters Fall (GCYJ3W) I could pick it up and do some popular roads for pics then send it on. With the Travel bugs you can do multiple destination points or make it travel via places I think....not sure...I'd have to do some reading. If you can though, I'd certainly consider doing other states as well. Be nice to get pics in front of the Mall's balls in Adelaide or on the Harbour Bridge or Opera House steps in Sydney and maybe even a Phillip Island one for Victoria etc.

I'm still thinking this is a totally awesome idea....lol.:rockon:

Edit..... I could even organize to get a photo of it with some whale sharks when the season starts...lol...My ex is nerdy enough to think this is cool and she's working over that way presently...lol.
Cheers
Mike

On the last day of 2009 I sent two (red and blue) travel err Fazers on a mission to reach Hunters Fall.

Last August (2.5 years later) the red one actually managed to reach Australia! Unfortunately it got lost in a flood so it did not make it to the final destination. But since the blue Fazer is still hanging around Germany I'd say the red one is the winner of the race (so Reds are faster :thumbup:)

A message from the owner of Horsey Tree where the Red Fazer travel bug was last seen:

I am the owner of geocache "Horsey Tree", located in Melbourne, Australia. Your travel bug "Red Yamaha Fazer 1000" was left there on 26th August and unfortunately following a very high flood, the contents of the geocache were strewn across a walking/bike path and were unable to be found. If it does turn up I will certainly let you know. ..........