Genuine Yamaha Top Box rack!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok today my Yamaha Top Box rack came in....case is still on it's way! replaces the very useful, and huge Ventura rack & bag i have been using, which while extremely functional, i could just never get to grips with the look of the rack rails running along the side of the bike.

All bolts are those little star headed bolts, which will help discourage thiefs, and come with a nice little good quality plastic cover. They fit straight onto the passenger grab rails, and still leave room for passenger hands. Look, feel, and mount in a sturdy manner.

Here's a few pic's of the rack installed on my bike, took fifteen minutes with right tools. Oh and one of the old Ventura set up...like chalk & cheese!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a nice setup! much simpler than the other setups that seem to be out there!

8 Bolts on each side of the bike, 4 each side of each passenger grab rail, plus 4 screws in to plastic cover on each side...all stainless steel nuts, bolts & screws...nice touch.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks clean -- much cleaner than that old beast.

What brand case will work on the rack, only Yamaha? Will it fit givi's?

So the rack actually goes around the grab rails? The bolts are used to squeeze the assembly around the rails or what? Sorry for the pestering q's. I just put cans on my bike and lost the ability to mount my givi rack. Looking for alternatives.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks clean -- much cleaner than that old beast.

What brand case will work on the rack, only Yamaha? Will it fit givi's?

So the rack actually goes around the grab rails? The bolts are used to squeeze the assembly around the rails or what? Sorry for the pestering q's. I just put cans on my bike and lost the ability to mount my givi rack. Looking for alternatives.

Yes, the brackets come in 2 halfs, top and bottom, they then clamp via bolts, around the passenger grab rail...they even come with protective clear rubberised plastic "stick on" protectors, to go under the brackets, and stop frame rails from getting scratched.

Have just ordered Two Brothers pipes, which is why i was looking for an alternative. Am most impressed.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just looked that up on the Yamaha website , My only concern is the weight ,it says 5kg's max,the ventura one that I have says 10kg's max.I carry a lot of gear sometimes so that might not be right for me , looks bloody good though :thumbup:

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that Yamaha OEM rack certainly looks great, gives it a more OEMish look to it, LOL. I mean it doesn't have all the extra other stuff that is found in aftermarket racks (metal tubes, etc.) I believe that still uses a Givi setup, so any Givi topcase should work. +1 on the looks, definitely got your old set up lick.

DaFiz

Reaction score
Visit site
It does look good and it's very useful (and I've carried way more than 5kg at way more than 120kph). It's also very comforting to pillion riders to know there's something behind them (although they don't actually lean against it like a sissy bar):rockon:

Erm... I used mine at trackday to keep my stuff in while I was on the track. When I left I mounted the box and rode off... failing to LOCK the box in place.
I did get the box back a few days later but it now has a few extra sctratches.
Be sure to lock yours in place.:thumbup:

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah was talking about this rack quite a while ago, because it is the best looking one around. It may be yam but really it is givi, which is what i liked about it.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah was talking about this rack quite a while ago, because it is the best looking one around. It may be yam but really it is givi, which is what i liked about it.

Yes i think it is Givi, the top box looks pretty much identical, except for the Yamaha badges...funny thing is, if you go to the Givi site, the only Top Case rack they have for an FZ6 is the one with the rails running down the side of the bike...which is exactly what i was trying to get away from.

As for the strength of it, i will be giving that a good test straight of the bat, as i will be carrying my DJ box in it 3 nights a week, and that thing weighs about 12kg.

It feels very sturdy, and have been told by a guy i met at the shop when i bought it, who just happened to have the same set up on his TDM850, that he regularly puts in excessive of 15kg's of gear in his without a hint of drama.

Apparently it's a case of Yamaha playing super safe against potential liabilty claims, by grossly under stating the products weight limit.

Will let you all know if it shows any signs of stress under heavy load.

And yes it's about a thousand times better looking than the old Ventura rack, and bag, continues the line of the seat, looks like it was made for the bike...and my racing car, bike mad 9 year old son, reckons it looks like a spoiler! It's a hit with the kids too!

for those who cant find it on their Yamaha website, i have only found it on the Yamaha Australia website.

Here's the link.

Yamaha Motor Australia - Y-Shop

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
looks sweet Wolfman :thumbup:.

I often carry in excess of 10 Kg in mine and never had a problem (I've also riden 160 KM/h whereas 120 Km/h is suggested), I agree with you Wolfman I reacon Givi were just trying to be extra safe.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't saying it wasn't a bad choice,was just concerned that the site quoted 5 kg's,didn't seem right .

Oh i did not think that you were dissing it for a second, i must admit, i had my doubts because of the 5kg stated limit, but like magic, a guy turned up to the shop with one on his bike, just as i was going into enquire about buying one...once i had this "real world" opinion, i was like....order it now...release me from my "dog ugly" rack & bag!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Am bumping this thread, as i now have the top case to go with the rack. Have also managed to test it with my very heavy DJ CD collection (a good 10kg's), and it seems to take it in it's stride. It also takes 2 helmets!

Have posted this photo elsewhere, but here is a photo of rack & bag together on my bike.

View attachment 8136

:rockon:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I like!

How quickly do you think you could remove or install that rack now that you've done the initial install? I'd want to put it on for touring but leave it off the rest of the time.

Also, do you have to drill any holes in the bike to mount it?

Fred

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like!

How quickly do you think you could remove or install that rack now that you've done the initial install? I'd want to put it on for touring but leave it off the rest of the time.

Also, do you have to drill any holes in the bike to mount it?

Fred

It takes about 5 minutes to put on , or pull off. No drilling required for intial mount, it just wraps around the pillion grab rails, and does leave room for the pillion to hang on.

All bolts are stainless steeel, with no nuts, each bolt hole, has it's own thread, there is a nice little cover on each side to hide bolts.

I take mine off all the time, or everytime i go sport riding, with no need for luggage.

Am very impressed with the hole set up....looks great, stores truckloads, is well made, lockable, water proof, and very sturdy...by the way, i found out it is made by a company called MBK, who i have never heard of!