Genuine Yamaha Top Box rack!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the top case come with a separate mounting plate required to be attached to the OEM rack?

Nope, the rack & mounting plate are one unit...very neat & compact, takes 2 seconds to put case on, and same time to get it off, just need your keys!

:thumbup:

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I'm looking for a top case and/or tank bag myself, and I think your setup is the best/coolest I've seen so far.

And MBK is a Belgian company as far as I know. They're very famous among teens for their 50cc scooters, which for a long time were the fastest and coolest around.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never seen this one in any Yamaha OEM stuff. Can you get them straight from Yamaha? How much cash? It looks great.
Thanks

I know that this rack & top box is OEM Yamaha in Australia, and some parts of Europe at least.

Here is the link to the Australian Yamaha site

Yamaha Motor Australia - Y-Shop

Here's the link to the Yamaha UK accesories catalogue for the FZ range.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/Images/On Road 2008 Street_tcm46-239840.pdf

And here is the ink to Yamaha's global website links page...good jump off point to search for stuff in other countries.

Global Links | YAMAHA MOTOR

hope that helps.

600rider

Reaction score
Visit site

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Wolfman,

Looking through the UK catalogue, I noticed the UK rack has a locking mechanism sticking out towards the end, however AU website shows a rack with a recessed hole. Did the rack you buy actually comes with a locking mechanism included?

Thanks.

Sure did, exactly the same as the UK website rack....you just have to fit the latch which comes in a little plastic bag, takes 2 seconds.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, this is tempting to order and have shipped to the US...but the Givi Rack is WAY cheaper here....about 1/2 the price.

well if you bought it from I'd it might be a whole lot cheaper as Aussie dollar just crashed and is only buying 66c to the American dollar.rack and top box can be bought for just under $400 Australian which would make it about $260 American plus shipping.

How does that compare?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So all up if you ordered the Yamaha rack & box from OZ, you would come pretty close to what you would pay for the Givi stuff.

If you want to order through Oz, let me know via PM, and i can make some enquiries for you......including cost of shipping...stuff only takes 7 days from USA to Australia, so am guesing it would be a similar time frame the other way around....

As for ordering the rack, it took about 5 days to get to me when i ordered it from my Local Yamaha Dealer.

Just an idea if you really want this particular rack & case.

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
If you really want to go cheap you can get the Givi knock-off from JC Whitney. It still only $47.99 but the free shipping may be over. It looks a little cheap, but I'm happy with mine. Plus it has an iron cross sticker on it so you know that it's bad ass! :rolleyes: I mounted mine on a SW-Motech rack.

I got the information on ordering mine from Trunks On Sale......cheap - ADVrider.

600rider

Reaction score
Visit site
you just have to fit the latch which comes in a little plastic bag, takes 2 seconds.

OMG, I picked up the rack on Saturday and it did not have a latch in any of the plastic bags. Asked dealer about it and was told AU version does not come with the latch, and perhaps the latch is only included with a new yamaha top case.

"What a $#%?" I asked myself. I already have a Givi top case, there is no way I am buying another top case just to have a latch, and I am not keen on drilling holes on the rack to install another mounting plate on either.

Wolfman, does your latch come with the rack or the top case?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OMG, I picked up the rack on Saturday and it did not have a latch in any of the plastic bags. Asked dealer about it and was told AU version does not come with the latch, and perhaps the latch is only included with a new yamaha top case.

\"What a $#%?\" I asked myself. I already have a Givi top case, there is no way I am buying another top case just to have a latch, and I am not keen on drilling holes on the rack to install another mounting plate on either.

Wolfman, does your latch come with the rack or the top case?

The latch came with the top case....it's Yamaha's way of making sure you buy the top case....i reckon.

:eek:

600rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly what I suspected, quite disappointed but that's how most business make $$$ these days.

Thanks for the confirmation Wolfman, it is good to have a straight answer.

I think I will just mount my old Givi case on the rack somehow, it is may be ugly as hell, but it is my way of saying http://www.600riders.com/forum/images/smilies/flip.gif to OZ Yamaha business practice.

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
The latch came with the top case....it's Yamaha's way of making sure you buy the top case....i reckon.

:eek:

Sorry to bring up an old thread - but I decided I wanted the OEM Rack as well - looks, already have TB Pipes on the bike, etc. Picked up the Yamaha Rack and, yep, no latch. I figured it would come with the OEM Box, but wasn't buying that one. Too big for me. Bought the Givi 34L. Perfect for my lunch, my helmet when I go to the shops, etc. So all I did, was drill 4 holes through the OEM rack to mount the Givi baseplate and hey presto - Done. 90% of the time the Box will stay on, but still looks alright with the box off.

(Sorry, late at night. Will post some pics later)

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome stuff I just ordered the mounting plate, and am picking it up today hopefully, the missus has my card though!

I hope when you say it will stay on 90% of the time you mean you use it 90% of the time and not 'its not falling off 10% of the time' :D
Going to get the Yamaha box just cause I need the storage while I'm at TAFE its a nightmare carrying around all my gear!!!! /grrrrr, just to clarify Wolfman I think you said in the past its pretty secure (the OEM topbox) right?
Going to order the box when I pick up the rack and if it takes a week will just have been payed when it arrives! (Took 5 days to get it into the dealer, so pretty good imo)

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
I hate rain! My bike got dirty:(

But the rack looks pretty good. Knowing that I was going to hack into it, I was pretty pleased with the results. Just drilled the 4 holes and used the brackets/screws that came with the Givi Box/Plate. Bit of Thread Lock, it isn;t going anywhere - apart from 10% of the time when I use the key and take it off myself:D

Last edited: