Gear for tall guys?

Jason07

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm currently in the process of buying my first bike, an FZ6, and need some gear to go with it. Problem is, I'm 6'5" and can't seem to find any gear that will fit me. Does anyone know of any shops, either online or not, that carry textile jackets and pants made for taller guys that aren't 300 pounds? I'm rather skinny with a 41" chest and 33" waist and I have a 27-28" sleeve length.

markustyson

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about jackets, but I am 6'1 and just bought a pair of Scorpion Deuce overpants that are fantastic. The pants come in a tall size, so I bought the "tall large" option, as I could never find pants that were long enough for my legs. My waist is about 32. These are great and are the tallest pants that I know of.
These are them :Scorpion Deuce Pants - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore
but I go them from a local dealer.

Jason07

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks man. I'm going to see if I can find them locally to try them on first. Also, I might add, I need these things to breath as highs are in the 90's and I'm commuting over 100 miles a day. I'd also prefer that the jacket and pants can zip together.

markustyson

Reaction score
Visit site
These scorpions are about 50% mesh, zip out waterproof/windproof liner. A fantastic buy, as you can tell online since they are mostly sold out!! Call your dealer.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'3" and no problems with Draggin Jeans out of Australia and ICON stuff. If you need to shed the extra inch or two...

70382.jpg

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about jackets, but I am 6'1 and just bought a pair of Scorpion Deuce overpants that are fantastic. The pants come in a tall size, so I bought the "tall large" option, as I could never find pants that were long enough for my legs. My waist is about 32. These are great and are the tallest pants that I know of.
These are them :Scorpion Deuce Pants - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore
but I go them from a local dealer.

+1 on the Scorpion Deuce pants. 6'3" 180lbs 34" waist. I got the XL tall. They work fine as overpants. And they have velcro adjustment at the waist, so you can tighten them and wear without pants if you want. They'll still ride up when seated on the bike, but come just above my ankle and nowhere near as high as the top of my boots.

Jason07

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah it seems like you guys pointed me in the right direction. Scorpion makes a few jacket in tall sizes too. Just sucks that they only make tall sizes in Phantom Black. I was wanting to go somewhat white with this Florida sun.

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
As far as jackets, you might look into 3/4 length touring jackets to make sure you have the torso coverage you need.

I'm 6'1 and barely scraping 150. Sport-oriented stuff doesn't fit too well for me, either the torso's come up way short, the sleeves are too short, or the midsection is really baggy, which can be quite annoying at 80 MPH. :(

With the exception of 85 degree and up weather, I'm usually rocking my Scorpion Commander textile touring jacket.

2009_Scorpion_Commander_Jacket_Black.jpg

It has sleeve adjusters, waist adjusters, vents, pockets galore, waterproof exterior, and the back even supports a water bladder with connectivity for a drinking tube. You might be able to find them in some closeout prices online...

Good luck! :thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First off, Welcome Jason! :welcome:

I'm 6'5" also and have both a Tourmaster Intake and a Firstgear "three-season" jackets, both fit well and are now available in several colors (because I work on an AFB mine are Dayglo Yellow). I also have a Firstgear Kilimanjaro coat for winter, it fits great also.

Good luck shopping, and be sure to post pics when you get your new girlfriend! :rockon:

richard55

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Jason, I'm a new guy here too (bought a new 09 FZ6 in February) and also tall and thin, 6'4'' and 165lbs. I bought Motoport Kevlar gear and since they make it (in California) to your exact measurements it fits perfectly. Because it's full Kevlar with full armor I feel well protected. If you choose the street style Kevlar jeans, instead of overpants (as I did), you send in a pair of your own jeans that fit well and they build your gear from those. The down side is the cost, but as they say, the gear costs a lot less than a skin graft! Good luck

Jason07

Reaction score
Visit site
Cost isn't a huge issue but I think I can get by with some of the gear I found without going with custom fit stuff. And again, thanks for all the help guys. But after hours of searching when I should of been studying, I think I've found everything I want/need. Here are the links. If you think I should avoid any of these feel free to tell me why.

Dark Grey Dainese Manaus shoes size 45 or 46

Black/Grey Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 pants size Large-Tall

Black/Black Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 jacket size Large-Tall

Grey Icon Pursuit Perforated Gloves size Large

Matte Deep Grey Shoei Quest Helmet size Large

Jason07

Reaction score
Visit site
I was actually talking to some friends about that today and we thought of the same thing. Sucks that no one makes tall gear in anything other then black.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was actually talking to some friends about that today and we thought of the same thing. Sucks that no one makes tall gear in anything other then black.
Please check my post above, that's no longer true. ;)

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site

Black gear isn't too bad, except the helmet. Light colored jackets can be tough to keep clean. But helmets wipe down easy. And they're the most visible part of your gear. I have a white lid now. And I'm going high-viz next. All my other gear is dark. So's my bike.

Jason07

Reaction score
Visit site
Please check my post above, that's no longer true. ;)

Let me rephrase that. Gear that I like. ;) I was actually set on your recommendation of the FirstGear but then I stumbled across the Joe Rocket. I just like the way it looks better and that it has a pocket in the rear for a CE back protector.

Jason07

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I just got back from The Helmet store and tried on quite a few helmets. They didn't have that Scorpion but by reading reviews on it I think I'm going to stay away from it. I've decided on the Shoei RF-1100. That thing is soo light and comfortable. Plus it can easily accept a bluetooth headset. Now just to find one that sounds good.