Gear change questions

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't yet changed the oil in the FZ since i bought it, and never did ask the PO what weight oil he used.

Anyhow, i find that the gearbox shifts supersmooth on cold mornings when i'm riding to work (50+ degrees), then it does the usual clunky shifting in the afternoon when its warmer (70ish degrees). Anyone experienced anything similar?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe you are not actually experiencing smoother shifting but rather you are experiencing quiet shifting when the oil is cold. :thumbup:

Smoother shifting means less effort required on the lever to shift and the transmission falls right into the next gear.

Mine makes a louder "clunk" sound shifting into first and second gears when it's warm. It's just because when the oil is hot and thin it shifts quicker because there is almost no resistance from the oil itself.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, happens to me, too. I can rarely shift in to second smoothly once the bike is warmed up (lack of riding experience could be attributed to that, also!) If you use 10w30, maybe try using 20w40. It's what I'm going to try next year.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, happens to me, too. I can rarely shift in to second smoothly once the bike is warmed up (lack of riding experience could be attributed to that, also!) If you use 10w30, maybe try using 20w40. It's what I'm going to try next year.

If you rev match perfectly and shift a bit slower and smoother it is possible to shift like butter from 1-2 on the FZ6 but it's completely normal to clunk that shift.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I have definitely noticed a difference in shifting depending on the oil, could be in my head though. My favourite is Rotella T6 filled up about quarter to half between the marks on the dipstick

Preloading the shifter helps the quality of shifts tremendously

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After +10,000 miles on the FZ most of the 1-2 shifts are clunky. To me it's now just part of the bike, some bike models are more noticeable than others. The only time I've noticed I get a smooth 1-2 shift is when i'm behind grandma and I lazily shift at about 4k with a half second pause when the lever hits neutral. It also helps to keep the rpms from dropping to far during the shift due to the pause. I may be able to get away with the low shift during slow acceleration because i'm rather light.

My manual, 2005 FZ6-ST(C) page 5-3 lists upshifts as:
1-2: 19 mi/h (30km/h)
2-3: 28 mi/h (45km/h)
3-4: 37 mi/h (60km/h)
4-5: 47 mi/h (75km/h)
5-6: 56 mi/h (90km/h)

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of oil threads and lots of opinions - use the search to read all about oil.

That said I used Rotella T for 3 years and went to Red Line 10W30 earlier this year. Shifting is better and easier. Last oil change I went with Castrol racing motorcycle oil and it is not quite as smooth. I notice more of a clunk when putting it into gear. The clunk is caused be drag between the clutch plates caused by the oil between them. More drag there does not mean the oil is not good but rather means it probably better for the clutch. Next change going back to RedLine.