Gear change help

Stephen ingham

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys i have owned my FZ6 for a few weeks now and have to say i am very very impressed with it, nice to commute around town on and lots of power on tap when needed.

I have a bit of a niggle with the gearbox and thought i would ask if anyone can help?

I do remember reading somewhere that the gear change is quite clunky, which i noticed straight away, i am okay with that.

What i have also noticed is that sometimes when i change up the lever goes through the motions of changing gear but it doesnt always "clunk" into gear, so stays in the current gear.

Hope that makes sense?

Can anyone shed any light on what the problem may be and what i should do about it?

Any help or advice is much appreciated
Stephen

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you lift the shifter enough?

If you are positive you lift it all the way up it could be a linkage adjustment issue...

I would check that the linkage head is on the right spot on the axle coming out of the gearbox, there should be punchmarks on both parts to make sure they are aligned correctly. (left side of the engine, follow the linkage from the pedal to the shaft)
The center of the shift pedal should also be aligned with the center of the lower footpeg bolt. If they are not aligned, loosen the lock nuts on the rod and turn it until they are aligned (i think the lower lock nut is an reverse thread).

If that doesn't help i don't know what it can be...

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine has a clutch "issue" (I call it an issue, its not really) in that the clutch can be too far in for shifting. There seems to be a sweet spot just out of the biting point for shifting. If I come too far in, sometimes, just sometimes it won't shift. It never happens in motion, just when I'm stood.

Maybe try letting the clutch out a bit if you've got it all the way in to the bars.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine has a clutch "issue" (I call it an issue, its not really) in that the clutch can be too far in for shifting. There seems to be a sweet spot just out of the biting point for shifting. If I come too far in, sometimes, just sometimes it won't shift. It never happens in motion, just when I'm stood.

Maybe try letting the clutch out a bit if you've got it all the way in to the bars.

Good point, there should be 10 to 15mm of freeplay in your clutch lever, make sure it isn't to loss and maybe not engaging the clutch properly...

By freeplay i mean you should be able to move the lever in/out 10 to 15mm without engaging the clutch, adjust with the silver wheel on the clutch lever assembly.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Besides the above, the two pivot points on the end of the shifter shaft (the one above with the two nuts) sometimes gets sticky. A good squirt of penetrating oil (not WD40) won't hurt.

The short shaft, the actual foot shift lever rides on, likes to be maintained too, ie, cleaned and lubed with grease (I use waterproof grease).

Make sure you fully release the shifter when up shifting. If you don't, you'll stay in the same gear...

Fine tuning that shaft with the threaded nut to suit you, should help too. Turning it in one direction raises the shifter, the other way lowers it.

Make sure the shifter DOES NOT come in contact with any solid parts when in a full downshift position.

Also, when stopped, if you hold the clutch in for several seconds (if possible), it lessens the clunk going into first (as it gives the final drive gears/shaft, in the transmission, a chance to slow down from spinning at idle)