Gase Mileage Woes

SirPorl

Reaction score
Visit site
Gas Mileage Woes

I have an 05 FZ6 with just shy of 8000 miles on it. Lately the gas mileage has been horrible. Last tank I averaged around 35mpg with minor hooliganism. I am replacing the air filter and having the plugs changed out this week. They are due.

My worry is the TPS. I have read the TPS thread but can't seem to get into the diag mode on my 05. Does anyone have the procedure? Bike idles fine, just wanna check everything.

edit - I can bring up DiAG but it won't let me select anything. Hitting select does nothing.

Last edited:

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I had a similar problem with my gas as well and the ideling and shuting off if you rev it and just let go the throttle and it shots off by it self. I took it to yamaha dealer and it was TPS problem. They fixed it for free, and now my gas milage increased by 10MPG. So on average I get 40-47MPG is I just keep it below 7000RPM or so...
I would call you local yamaha dealer and give them your vin# and let them check if you bike shows as recall on TPS and front sprocket nut/washer kit. Most of 05 FZ6 were on recall. And if it does come up as recall, just make an appt. and take her in to get it fixed for free. All manufacturer recalls are free of charge.
Do this and see what happens after.
Good luck.:thumbup:

SirPorl

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I did call a shop about the recall but they said my vin was clean. I will try out that diag mode tonight. Gonna see if the new air filter and plugs fix the issue. I am gonna probably have the dealer take care of the plugs seeing how I lack the time to tackle myself. I will have them check out the TPS while there.

Thanks for the help. I really do like my FZ6, great all around ride.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As Wildcard stated my guess the poorer mileage you are getting is due to the cooler weather. Remember that when you start a cold bike the ECU will automatically richen the mixture until the motor is up to proper operating temprature. And if you make a lot of short trips and the bike cools down again it has to do it all over again.

I've noticed the same problem with my truck. In the winter my mileage will drop, in the summer it is typically better, sort of...

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
yea i got 35mpg last fill up. Work is 7 minutes from home and girl is 15 minutes and school is 10 minutes. I never get up to operating temp and its drinking my gas like crazy.