gas tank leak

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott, thanks for reply. Bike is european 2008 FZ6 S2 naked, but I think they are all the same in regards to tank.

nobody has ever messed up with it, I remember there was some few drops of fuel on frame last week, so it means the leak is becoming stronger. I removed the tank today and the hose and it is my best guess where the leak comes from, I dont think its big o-ring.

that thing makes me crazy its just few weaks I can ride as winter is comming and this occurs :(

I will keep you guys posted on fixes! :thumbup:

edit: if the retainer is part number 22 (sorry not native english) then there was no retainer, however hose it self has clamp built in...

Just looked up part #22 on the Yamaha site. That IS the retainer that should be there!!!! There is no built in clamp..

It either fell off, wasn't installed, etc...

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can't swing getting another tank, the best way to repair it is to braze it.

Of course the tank has to be absolutly clear of fumes and the area sanded down to bare steel to work. It'd be an easy weld with the tank off the bike, would look like heck when done but you could bondo the tank, repair, prime, etc..

That fix WOULD NOT LEAK if done correctly and to actually braze it would take 10 minutes...

I ended up finding someone who was willing to fix it, they used solder to fix the problem. I have sense used some bondo to give it extra protection and to make it look better.

I now have another tank that I picked up from another member who was parting out their bike and I plan on just replacing it with that one.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
could not find better place to ask.
this morning I noticed strong fuel smell in garage, though that somebody did smth wrong with gasoline, but eventually in evening I understood that thats my fizzer.
Took the tank of and there it was, looks like hose going from pump to fuel rail is leaking. it is not broken, but perhaps the connection/ o-ring/ whatever failed. Has anybody experienced this? is there any fix or a have to change, most probably expensive, fuel hose?
what is more, I am afraid to ride as it drips on cables and can cause fire :eek:

I hope the best with finding the leak in your tank and fixing it.

envy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, thanks for nice words. Case turned out to be yamaha classic - fuel pump seal/ gasket. Part is not available separatelly, so I tried to find alternative part in automotive shop. Trial failed. There is no such a big o-rings. Fixed with black silicone used in engine rebuilds and same old gasket. There is no leak at this point, will see how it looks in the morning ;)

qahupe8u.jpg

huputyvu.jpg

e6y6e4u6.jpg

It is hard to see in pic of gasket, but there is a dent and seal is broken, looks like bad fitting in factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, thanks for nice words. Case turned out to be yamaha classic - fuel pump seal/ gasket. Part is not available separatelly, so I tried to find alternative part in automotive shop. Trial failed. There is no such a big o-rings. Fixed with black silicone used in engine rebuilds and same old gasket. There is no leak at this point, will see how it looks in the morning ;)

qahupe8u.jpg

huputyvu.jpg

e6y6e4u6.jpg

It is hard to see in pic of gasket, but there is a dent and seal is broken, looks like bad fitting in factory.

Congrates!
They do make that O-ring, available separatly, and per Yamaha, its supposed to be replaced when replacing the pump.

Actually I have the old one when I last changed out my tank. Holler if yours continues to leak and you can't order one...

envy

Reaction score
Visit site
I will check with dealer on monday and order if it is available to have it in case my fix is not working. Will let you know if more help needed!
Thanks!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never seen any Silicone product meant for direct assault by gasoline. Please for your own safety, don't even bother filling it!

I would do what ever you can to correct the pinch or what ever damage you found. Is it the tank, the plastic, or the aluminum clamping plate that have the dent?

Perhaps try a macro picture?

envy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott! And yes I will be ordering these and change my temporary solution, but at this point - it just works :)