Galfer? (galfer responds)

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Galfer?

I agree. They are not in the same league as Russel at all. The performance in braking is very, very good however. I'll take some photos and see if I can get a new set too.

I think that is the best thing to do. Hopefully anyone that has the same problem will let them know. That will certainly get thier attention and hopefully get them to address the problem.

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Excuse me....... . Why use stainless steel? To think well electrical corrosion, Stainless steel never have good combination with steel or aluminium unless any plating because combination between SS and Steel or Alminium produce large electrical gap. This voltage gap work for material corossion. Rust will appear around the part made by stainless.

Somehow, SS looks very good material but, difficult to use for motorbike, boat, and car. Need good plating or insulation.

Last edited:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I asked them if the new line would be the same quality as the old, and if they had changed suppliers. This is their responce.

Our lines are of good quality. Once in a while a defective line will turn
up, but we try our best to quickly come to a solution to the problem. The
new line you receive will be a good line.

If you ahve any more questions feel free to ask.

Regards & Best Wishes,

Linette Morgan
Customer Service

Galfer USA
310 Irving Drive
Oxnard, CA 93030
(805) 988-2900 - phone
(805) 988-2948 - fax
(800) 685-6633 - tech
Gateway

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I asked them if the new line would be the same quality as the old, and if they had changed suppliers. This is their responce.

It makes you feel good when they can't spell/use spell checker ehh???

Hopefully the new one's will workout.

Ben

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I would be happy with stainless steel. The banjo bolts didn't look plated to me, but they did look cheap as hell.
I am presuming that the banjo bolt is a universal bolt. Keep the lines and buy some new anodized bolts?

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excuse me....... . Why use stainless steel? To think well electrical corrosion, Stainless steel never have good combination with steel or aluminium unless any plating because combination between SS and Steel or Alminium produce large electrical gap. This voltage gap work for material corossion. Rust will appear around the part made by stainless.

Somehow, SS looks very good material but, difficult to use for motorbike, boat, and car. Need good plating or insulation.
I was thinking the same Kumaj, I have forgotten the technical term for when stainless and aluminium oxidize togeather.
BTW how are you fella?

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site

I am presuming that the banjo bolt is a universal bolt. Keep the lines and buy some new anodized bolts?

Nelly

your presumption would be wrong my friend! It is a special bolt with holes in it to allow fluid to run through.

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking the same Kumaj, I have forgotten the technical term for when stainless and aluminium oxidize togeather.
BTW how are you fella?

Just thinking part it self, SS will work but, sometime I wonder some part maker doesn't have mechanical engineer........ .

Me? one kind of very bad:( Because customer forced me stay hotel nearby them for unexpected issue from day before yesterday. I might not have relax weekend. However, I can have time to access this forum.

How about you?

Last edited:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW how are you fella?

The term is galvanic corrosion. It occurs when dissimilar metals are in contact with one another and there is no anode (sacrificial piece of metal).

Galvanic corrosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would think that of the fittings are a high grade stainless steel, there would be no need to plate them. The plating process alone could start the corrosion process. Food for thought when it is time to upgrade the brake lines.

Last edited:

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
The term is galvanic corrosion. It occurs when dissimilar metals are in contact with one another and there is no anode (sacrificial piece of metal).

Galvanic corrosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would think that of the fittings are a high grade stainless steel, there would be no need to plate them. The plating process alone could start the corrosion process. Food for thought when it is time to upgrade the brake lines.

Allow my this reply for riders safety
Just thinking the corrosion on stainless screw or parts, I almost agree with you. However, waher looks made by aluminium and, how about screw hole of master cylinder? Corrosion of brake system is one kind of most scare one for me. Putting grease would work making it slower ......... . I don't want image screw hole gone. According the picture he attached. rust come from some part made by steel out of stainless steel part or something.

Last edited:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Allow my this reply for riders safety
Just thinking the corrosion on stainless screw or parts, I almost agree with you. However, waher looks made by aluminium and, how about screw hole of master cylinder? Corrosion of brake system is one kind of most scare one for me. Putting grease would work making it slower ......... . I don't want image screw hole gone. According the picture he attached. rust come from some part made by steel out of stainless steel part or something.

Yes the stainless could cause the aluminum to corrode. I was looking at the bolt end, which shows rust where a socket or wrench would exert pressure on the metal. It looks like the plating flaked off causing the corrosion. Again a good quality stainless steel, like t-304, will not corrode when in contact with dissimilar metals. It also would not need to be plated to stay shiny. I would not use grease in brake applications as I would not want any chance of it contaminating the brake fluid. I would use a small amount of anti seize if you are worried about getting the bolt out later. Again t-304 would not corrode with aluminum contact.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was cleaning the bike a bit yesterday and looked closely at my Galfer bolts and banjo fittings, they look terrible, see photos.

I also looked into Russell lines. Russell is now owned by Edlebrock, the high performance auto parts company. There was no mention of motorcycle brake lines at all, however they do sell custom kits, ie: lenghts of line, fittings, etc. I've emailed them asking if they do anything on the side for bikes, I doubt it. I'll make some calls here in Austin to some hot-rod shops and see if anyone makes lines.

I looked up Lockhart and they are now a distributor and no longer seem to make anything.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah... I let you misunderstand something?
It is resource of galvanic corrosion.

Galvanic Table

If I found better thing in English. I'll send you PM
Thanks for the link, that is much more complete than the list I have.
This is stated at the bottom of the page: "Note: the passive forms of stainless steel alloys deter galvanic activity because passivation entails oxidizing the surface thus making it more inert."

Precipitation-hardening martensitic stainless steels have corrosion resistance comparable to austenitic varieties, but can be precipitation hardened to even higher strengths than the other martensitic grades. . When working with stainless any oxidation that may form after the manufacturing process can be removed and the passivation layer can then be created on the surface. The passivation layer should be added any time the you want to plate or mate with dissimilar metals. So I think that Galfer's supplier gave them inferior metal to work with, or some issue arose during the plating process that damaged the passivation layer.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was cleaning the bike a bit yesterday and looked closely at my Galfer bolts and banjo fittings, they look terrible, see photos.

I also looked into Russell lines. Russell is now owned by Edlebrock, the high performance auto parts company. There was no mention of motorcycle brake lines at all, however they do sell custom kits, ie: lenghts of line, fittings, etc. I've emailed them asking if they do anything on the side for bikes, I doubt it. I'll make some calls here in Austin to some hot-rod shops and see if anyone makes lines.

I looked up Lockhart and they are now a distributor and no longer seem to make anything.

Wow that is pretty bad! Those do not even look like stainless, just plated steel fittings.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site

Holy sh1t dude!! I though mine looked bad, but yours take the cake. Did you send them an email yet? The Galfer rep said that once in a while a bad one gets out, but from the responce here it looks like a bunch of bad ones got out.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am installing Goodridge braided lines, with clear sheafs, and stainless connectors this week...i am a serial bike cleaner, so i guess i will be able to tell you lot whether i experience similar problems pretty soon....