Galfer Braided Brake Lines & Rusty Banjo Bolts

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
'Sup guys. I haven't posted any new mods for a few months, been busy. I've got a few completed I will post about later though. Just thought I'd share these pics. Bit of a horror show. I bought some Galfer braided brake lines to replace the stock rubbers ones and fitted them to the bike.

Anyway, the main point in this email is that about 2 weeks after installing the lines, the banjo bolts on the front system started rusting. I made sure that I cleaned the whole area around them after bleeding etc & in fact washed the whole bike afterwards too. The rest of the bike is fine. I mean, I know it's winter, the roads are being gritted and I'm riding in it, but the old bolts handled this fine for nearly 2 years! The new ones couldn't take 2 weeks of it. This is about 2 months later and you can see from the pics below how they look now! Not really very good for nearly £100, plus a few hours of labour and a couple of pints of expensive brake fluid. The bike is in garage all the time except when I'm riding or at work, when it's under a cover. It gets washed at least every 2 weeks, every week if I'm feeling guilty about the dust etc!

I eventually got around to emailing Calsport and the initial response was:-
while the lines are stainless steel, the banjo bolts supplied are not.
The rusting you describe is not classed as a manufacturing defect, and therefore cannot be claimed for under warranty.

I'm afraid I cannot offer an alternative brand of bolt, as we only sell Galfer Braking products.

I will pass your comments on to Galfer, but it is unlikely I will be able to do anything for you.

Then, half an hour later I got this email. Hopefully, they changed their minds and will try to fight it for me:-
Further to my mail, can you send pictures so I can review and pass on to Galfer?

Otherwise it will be me buying new banjo bolts online (alloy or stainless), the postage for that, new brake fluid and several hours of my time. Makes me think that when I need new pads and discs I will be looking elsewhere, especially as they are much more common for my bike.

Anyway, on to the pics (as usual, click on the small thumbnails to see a larger image). I should point out that I quickly washed the bolts with WD-40 and a rag so that the rust could clearly be seen:-

Anyone else had this happen with their lines? Any success in getting replacements & maybe compensation for new fluid/time/crush gaskets?

The fittings are fine, it's just the crappy bolts. I had no choices of fittings/bolts etc due to it being a special order. I would have preferred black alloy for everything and black line covering. The lines do look pretty good and braking is improved, but I can't help wondering if I'm going to get rust getting though to my ABS unit or calipers!!!

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Yeah I also read that previous post about Galfer lines rusting. In fact it made me change to ordering HEL lines just from reading that post!!

Glafer obviously has some serious quality/material issues that have not been properly addressed of corrected!

For the life of me I don't know how they can keep selling these in this configuration as EVERYONE must have the same issues who receives their product! In the other topic, I even Googled and posted up links to the same issues/complaints from other forums about rusting Galfer lines!

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Sanger, I swear I read a post on this very subject a few months back. Searching...

Check this out: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/7112-galfer-galfer-responds.html
Sweet. I have no idea how I didn't see that when I searched! :) It looks like my chances for replacement are good then. Hopefully they'll send me some sexy black bolts like ant got. Luckily my lines are fine and don't need replacing - touch wood. I couldn't do without my bike for even a day as it's my only form of transport to work etc.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Sweet. I have no idea how I didn't see that when I searched! :) It looks like my chances for replacement are good then. Hopefully they'll send me some sexy black bolts like ant got. Luckily my lines are fine and don't need replacing - touch wood. I couldn't do without my bike for even a day as it's my only form of transport to work etc.

Lets hope so.

I think you should make mention that this is not a new problem with thier product and refer to ant_mb's same issues with thier product! Let them know that a lot of people seem to have this problem with their product and to ask for an explanation! There is no way that they cannot know this is happening!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I also read that previous post about Galfer lines rusting. In fact it made me change to ordering HEL lines just from reading that post!!

Glafer obviously has some serious quality/material issues that have not been properly addressed of corrected!

For the life of me I don't know how they can keep selling these in this configuration as EVERYONE must have the same issues who receives their product! In the other topic, I even Googled and posted up links to the same issues/complaints from other forums about rusting Galfer lines!
Unfortunately mate, I can only buy Galfer for my ABS!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Lets hope so.

I think you should make mention that this is not a new problem with thier product and refer to ant_mb's same issues with thier product! Let them know that a lot of people seem to have this problem with their product and to ask for an explanation! There is no way that they cannot know this is happening!
Lol. Way ahead of you! Instead of attaching pics to the email, I just sent a link to this post! :cool:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
HEL seem to do them...

HEL Performance
Yeah, when I contacted HEL, they said they were developing the Yamaha connectors and didn't know how long it would be before they would be ready to sell. Also, I would have had to take off my lines and post them to them to be measured. I needed my bike, kinda wish I'd just waited now as I could have got them all stealthed up. However, the front HEL lines cost more than I paid for the front & rear Galfer lines (although Calsport did give me a discount).

Cheers for posting it though. Maybe as a replacement if these die.