FZ8 vs Street Triple R

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have not read the full review yet, but just want to point out that it's STREET triple they're comparing to FZ8, not Speed.
Street = 675cc, Speed = 1050cc.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have not read the full review yet, but just want to point out that it's STREET triple they're comparing to FZ8, not Speed.
Street = 675cc, Speed = 1050cc.

I havent had my direct injection of coffee this morning... :tard:
Sorry about that! Mods, can you change that? it is a material diff.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Read the full review. Pretty much said what I thought it would :thumbup:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ8 really only makes 80 hp? :confused:

I know... I own a 6R. No complain, I like my bike. Not the weapon of choice if I had to go to war, but a great all around bike. By the time I'm done it will be my mini Sport Touring bike. Maybe I'll change the name for a FJ600? LOL

But honestly I still don't get the FZ8. It's like a pim up FZ6... just a little more torque and few more ponies. Not saying the FZ8 is not a nice bike, but if I had to upgrade, I'll go for the FZ1. I think Yammy were trying to fill up a gap... I just don't think there was any gap to fill in this area. Maybe a "FZ4" as a real beginner bike and keep the FZ6 just as is. And the 6R... did we really needed a detune version (FZ6) of a detune R6? Maybe not, but it is what it is...

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
It's like a pim up FZ6... just a little more torque and few more ponies.

Actually, if this article is correct, the FZ8 actually has FEWER ponies than the FZ6...SHOCKING! If I'm not mistaken, the US version of the FZ6 has 98 bhp, correct? That would mean the FZ8 is ~18 bhp less than the FZ6???

Love the looks, but no thank you. And I've actually gotten to sit on the FZ8 and really liked it. But I'm with Marthy...if I was going to upgrade, it would be to the FZ1, not the FZ8. Especially if it has less power than the FZ6!

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
But honestly I still don't get the FZ8. It's like a pim up FZ6... just a little more torque and few more ponies. Not saying the FZ8 is not a nice bike, but if I had to upgrade, I'll go for the FZ1. I think Yammy were trying to fill up a gap... I just don't think there was any gap to fill in this area. Maybe a "FZ4" as a real beginner bike and keep the FZ6 just as is. And the 6R... did we really needed a detune version (FZ6) of a detune R6? Maybe not, but it is what it is...

The FZ8 is not a step up from the FZ6, it is the replacement for the FZ6. It just happens to have an engine with greater displacement. Performance is on par with the FZ6, but the engine character is better suited to the bike's intended use as an all-rounder. The main advantage for Yamaha is being able to base it on the FZ1 platform and cut costs associated with producing a unique model like the FZ6.

As for the gap it fills, there is a hug gap between the FZ6R and the FZ1. That's where the FZ8 sits. It's the same gap the FZ6 filled in it's final year of production. And while the FZ8 may not be much of a step up from the FZ6 (in terms of peak output at least) it is a big jump up from the FZ6R. The FZ1 is an equally large step up from the FZ8.

The only place Yamaha went wrong was with the names:
-the FZ6R should be an XJ series bike. It is clearly the successor to the Diversion/Seca II
-all FZ6/FZ8 bike should have simply been called Fazer (at lease in the US)
-and then leave the FZ1 name alone

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: FZ8 vs Speed Triple R

Actually, if this article is correct, the FZ8 actually has FEWER ponies than the FZ6...SHOCKING! If I'm not mistaken, the US version of the FZ6 has 98 bhp, correct? That would mean the FZ8 is ~18 bhp less than the FZ6???

Love the looks, but no thank you. And I've actually gotten to sit on the FZ8 and really liked it. But I'm with Marthy...if I was going to upgrade, it would be to the FZ1, not the FZ8. Especially if it has less power than the FZ6!

I think FZ8 has 106 bhp, at least according to this
Not that bad, but not super impressive either. I dont get why they replace FZ6 with heavier bike :(

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ8 really only makes 80 hp? :confused:

You guys are comparing HP measured at the rear wheel to HP measured at the crank. The FZ8 is rated at 105HP at the crank. I'm not sure where the 80HP figure came from. I didn't see and explanation in the article. I believe the FZ6 puts down about 85 to the rear wheel. I would expect the FZ8 to be closer to 90.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are comparing HP measured at the rear wheel to HP measured at the crank. The FZ8 is rated at 105HP at the crank. I'm not sure where the 80HP figure came from. I didn't see and explanation in the article. I believe the FZ6 puts down about 85 to the rear wheel. I would expect the FZ8 to be closer to 90.

Thanks for clearing that up, The Dude. I thought maybe I was just missing something in the article, but what you said makes much more sense. :thumbup:

Great article, BTW. I ride with a friend that has a Street Triple R and she's over the moon about that bike. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but I'm hoping to get a shot before long. And everyone I know that has a Triumph RAVES about that triple motor.

I may have to take a look at the Street Triple R the next time I'm shopping for a bike.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll tell ya, I think if I had to replace the fizzer right now, I would get a street triple r and put some givi E21's on the back of it.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ8 is not a step up from the FZ6, it is the replacement for the FZ6. It just happens to have an engine with greater displacement. Performance is on par with the FZ6, but the engine character is better suited to the bike's intended use as an all-rounder. The main advantage for Yamaha is being able to base it on the FZ1 platform and cut costs associated with producing a unique model like the FZ6.

As for the gap it fills, there is a hug gap between the FZ6R and the FZ1. That's where the FZ8 sits. It's the same gap the FZ6 filled in it's final year of production. And while the FZ8 may not be much of a step up from the FZ6 (in terms of peak output at least) it is a big jump up from the FZ6R. The FZ1 is an equally large step up from the FZ8.

The only place Yamaha went wrong was with the names:
-the FZ6R should be an XJ series bike. It is clearly the successor to the Diversion/Seca II
-all FZ6/FZ8 bike should have simply been called Fazer (at lease in the US)
-and then leave the FZ1 name alone

I agree! The problem with the 6R is not the power. PCV + Exhaust give me a very respectable 75 ponies at the rear wheel on the dyno. (-10 from a FZ6 as I can look) The problem is the bike is 60 lbs over weight:(

I've been riding since I'm 6 yo. I can handle a bigger bike. But the 6R is enough for what I need. My wife try to ride my bike few weeks ago. Just too heavy for her. A Ninjette will be perfect for her size wise but I'm not sure how the little 250 would like to scream at 75-80 here in Florida when driving on I-95.

So here my point was that Yamaha should have build a smaller entry bike and leave the FZ6 alone. The only reason why I didn't get the FZ6 is because there was any on the showroom floor when I got my bike. I always liked the under tail exhaust... with full fairing. lol

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree! The problem with the 6R is not the power. PCV + Exhaust give me a very respectable 75 ponies at the rear wheel on the dyno. (-10 from a FZ6 as I can look) The problem is the bike is 60 lbs over weight:(

I've been riding since I'm 6 yo. I can handle a bigger bike. But the 6R is enough for what I need. My wife try to ride my bike few weeks ago. Just too heavy for her. A Ninjette will be perfect for her size wise but I'm not sure how the little 250 would like to scream at 75-80 here in Florida when driving on I-95.

So here my point was that Yamaha should have build a smaller entry bike and leave the FZ6 alone. The only reason why I didn't get the FZ6 is because there was any on the showroom floor when I got my bike. I always liked the under tail exhaust... with full fairing. lol

You are right about the Ninja 250 on the highway. I learned to ride on a 2004 250R and it was fun on backroads and around town but over 60 mph it was all that little engine could do to keep up with traffic at 8-9K rpms in 6th gear! A 500 with around 50-60hp is a better first bike even though I think everyone should "learn" to ride on a 250 (like they give you at a Motorcycle Safety Course)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A Ninjette will be perfect for her size wise but I'm not sure how the little 250 would like to scream at 75-80 here in Florida when driving on I-95.

I can tell you from personal experience that ex250 will easily maintain 80mph for as long as you want (I weight ~165), but RPMs will definitely be up there (10k+). It gets blown around pretty good too at that speed.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
over 60 mph it was all that little engine could do to keep up with traffic at 8-9K rpms in 6th gear!

I don't remember it struggling. It certainly wasn't fast, but I'd say it was still faster than a 4-cyl car when rolling on the throttle at 75mph in 6th :don'tknow: