Votes: 174 37.0%
  • Change brands / type of bike

Votes: 85 18.1%

• Total voters

bogdani0405

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I like the FZ8, it has USD forks and brakes on 310 mm rotor, that probably means better brakes. I think that Yamaha couldn't get enough low and mid-range torque out of the 600 engine and said "it's better to create an 800 cc engine", which, like the Gixxer 750 is the best compromise between torque/ power/mileage.

The underseat exhaust should be there, but that doesn't make me not like the FZ8. I just bought my FZ6 and probably will keep it for two or three years enough time to let the new Fizzer get out of his system the bad things.

Here in Romania we wish other riders "Asfalt uscat" that means, the translation being adapted a little bit... "May you're roads be always dry... never wet or greasy..."

SO..Asfalt uscat

Last edited:

veyron1001

Reaction score
Visit site
I would get the FZ1 as the 8 does not have adjustable suspension and with less power, its a complete rip off. Plus the FZ1 leftovers can be had for less when this comes to the US at MSRP.

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
This is something I've been asking myself for the past week since my FZ6 was written off. For what I do (commuting 700 miles a week & the occasional social ride), I really can't find another bike made by another manufacturer that fits the bill as well as the Fazer. I need at least a half fairing so I've looked at Suzuki SV650S & GSX650F but I'm not impressed with the finish. The Kawasaki Z's are naked and the ER'sare gutless, although I have read good reviews of the Honda CBF1000, I think it looks uber boring. BMW, Ducati and Triumph do the adventure style bikes which would do but they're a too far detached from sports bikes for my liking and a tad expensive. I'm tempted by a VFR800 but my deler thinks I may not like the VTEC which kicks in around motorway cruising speed. I will of course test ride one once I'm out of plaster...

As much as I love the supersports bikes and would have an R1 at the drop of a hat, if it wasn't for my commute, I think they're going to cripple me over the mileage I do. All of these factors lead me back to the Fazer, I really do think Yamaha have a winner here. Having owned a 6 I'm somewhat reluctant to buy another just because it's nice to change, however should all else fail I'll have no problem in doing so. I sat on a FZ1 in the showroom last week and the first thing that got my attention was the bars, didn't feely comfy at all and that upper fairing's a lot smaller than the 6. I'm waiting for the 8 to arrive next week to compare. The manager assures me, after his recent FZ8 "course" with Yamaha UK, that the bars and seating position are very similar to the FZ6. I also go an insurance quote on an FZ1 which came in about double the FZ6, hopefully the 8 will be somewhere in between...

So I'm going to vote for the Fazer8. I'm 99% sure I'll be having one once I'm up and about again based on what I've read (good & bad) but it will all come down to the test ride. I just hope it's as good as my 6 was!

Last edited:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
still at the beginning of the ownership curve here on the FZ6, basically new
'07 been on the road 2 weeks (though I've put >3000 kms in those 2 weeks)
in I'd say about 4-5 years time I'll be looking at something else, sporty, good
ergos, don't need a liter bike and I prefer I 4's to small twins, I like Yamaha,
so I will definitely have a look at the 8, though I would not be surprised to find
myself lookin around for another 6 with no usage like this one to steal

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
This is a hard one.

I don't know what i'd do if i crashed my fazer, probably buy another ....

It's just the best all rounder out there. I don't like the fz8 styling at all, and if i'm spending money, for another 200cc, may as well got the whole way and get the fz1.

Must admit though, after the nonsense i'm having with the frame, solid moulded aluminium frame like on the fz6 is not a plus IMHO. The ducati style round bar frames just seem more practical (?)

(although part of me says when i need a new bike, going to get an single cylinder offroader, a 450 maybe, and make a streetfighter out of that)

Big Matt

Reaction score
Visit site
Well let me throw this out there. Would this be a good first motorcycle? Somewhere in the small range of a first motorcycle and would not out grow it like some do with the fz6? I have been lurking and deciding on a first motorcycle. I have been riding my buddies 06 fz6 and really like it. I wish it had a little more bottom end. I am 6'1" 210 lbs so i might need the extra cc's? Looking for a fun,commuter,comfortable motorcycle.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have the maturity for a high powered bike then I reckon it would be good. The more torque, the less you have to wrestle around the revs with it. But if it's your first bike and you might want to get a few things 'out of your system'(!!!!) then I'd steer clear. You could get into trouble very quickly. It's a hard one! But a better choice than a full blown sportsbike. Ie it would be a better choice than eg an R6.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
From what I have been reading in reviews of the "8", - it's a heavier FZ6 with slightly worse mileage,- so from what I can gather, you would gain nothing by going from a "6" to a "8", - except from the thrill of getting a new bike :)

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you'll find it has a lot more torque. With an extra 200cc but not a huge increase in peak power, it means they're concentrated the power much lower in the rev range. Even with the heavier weight it will be sweet.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
is there any dyno sheet out there?? i dont care about te peak, but i wanted to see what the entire range was and how much it improved vs the fz6.. also, has anyone bought one yet??? i know not in the us (or canada right now i think), but from our friends on the other side of the pond.. any non-magazine reviews???

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
I currently have a 04 FZ6.

I might swap it for a 10 FZ6 S2 Autum Orange GT. Or the FZ1 Fazer. But i wont go to a FZ8.

I like how the FZ6 handles in the corners. I want to try a FZ1 first but others say the FZ6 is nicer in the corners then the FZ1. But the FZ1 has the power advantage.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ1 is way due for an overhaul. The new Kawasaki K1000 and Honda CB1000R (not yet avail in the US), seem to trounce the Zed. Unfortunately, the bad economy may postpone things but I expect a completely new model in a year or two.

Tim

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep and expect the crossplane ('big bang') in the next one. If that happens, it's going to be DAMNED hard to resist. The motor in the current R1 is absolutely sensationl.

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
Tough call. I have been pondering replacement of my FZ6 - there was a good deal on an FZ1. It would depend on what I was wanting the bike for. I like my 6 for commuting and short day trips. But if I was doing some major road trips I would probably go up to the FJR. I don't think there would be much to make me move to the 8 yet. Not much HP gain and I like the undertail of the 6.

LeaN69

Reaction score
Visit site
Meh I have a different kind of approach, I'm keeping the FZ6 and picking up a BMW s1000rr right before next spring.

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll def be sticking with My FZ6 for a while, but in the future, I'll be considering the FZ8. I have a gen one FZ1, and It's a great bike, but for me it's also too much bike.

BigPoppa

Reaction score
Visit site
While I will definitely keep my FZ6 through to next Fall/Winter, due to the commuting I do, I'm definitely looking into moving to something with shaft or belt drive and bit more of a fairing.

I find I'm getting more and more anal about keeping my running bits clean while getting lazier about actually wanting to spend time cleaning them. ;)

Currently trying to price out some used sport tourers, probably a BMW R1150RTP due to price constraints...$4k-$6k for a used police bike is much easier to swallow than the $10k-$15k I've seen for less-abused civilian versions. I would really like to get that ABS, Heated Grips, and Shaft Drive for the winter riding season here.