Votes: 174 37.0%
  • Change brands / type of bike

Votes: 85 18.1%

• Total voters

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Between the 8 or 1, I'd choose the 1. They weigh the same and have the same frame and stuff, why not get the power to go with it?

I am waiting to see that Swedish bike that I posted in the bar about though. Similar design, but with a V-twin...and 155hp:rockon:

highlandviking.jpg

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
If the 105 hp is true for the FZ8, whats better?
And no underseat exhaust? That makes no sense to me.
I have not ever been a FZ1 fan, so I say neither, bye bye Yamaha.
Think I will check out that 155 hp Swedish Viking.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
David, it really boils down to a few key things.

1. Throttle control. The 8 will be a bit more forgiving than the 1 for those who disconnect between the brain and right hand. ;)

2. Insurance. The difference between the 8 and the 1 can be the biggest "affordable factor" that makes or breaks the deal.

3. Style of riding. Judging by the specs of the new 8, it looks like Yamaha has smoothed out the throttle response and made acceleration more linear. They've increased low to mid range torque as well. Even though it is still about as heavy as the 1, I'm betting it is more nimble in the corners and more connected to the rider.

4. Suspension. The 1 has nearly a fully adjustable suspension. The official word is not out on the 8 as to whether it has the same. I know it is from the same core as the FZ1 but did they cut corners to reduce the price with one of them being the adjustable suspension?

I can't pick for you and I am biased. ;) I can say that it is very likely that a lot of the FZ1 aftermarket mods will fit the FZ8 though. :D

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The naked FZ1 is not sold in this market. If they don't bring the FZ8 here I will buy neither.

The underseat pipes are what sold me on the Fazer after 20 years without a bike. I think the naked FZ8 is SERIOUSLY sexy. But, if they only bring the Fazer8 here I will keep my 6.

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
Being that time of year I started looking last month for a new bike, since I wanted to replace mine this year anyway. I'm not sure what's happened but prices have leapt to really stupid heights. Eventually, and sadly for Yamaha, I got a really good price on a Kwak ZX6R, sorry folks but the deal was that good to pass up.

So yesterday I picked it up, black and black, didn't like the green - never have. Now I'm back where I was 2 years ago having to run the bike in, sadly for me Kwak recommend running it in at no more than 4k.... I'll have 125's overtaking me if I do that :eek:

I do seem to recall running the Fazer in at 6k, so it caught me by surpise to say the least. 420 miles to go :thumbup:

fz6blue

Reaction score
Visit site
GastonJ - do you happen to be selling a set of givi boxes on ebay? with the description mentioning the owner switching from a fz6 to zx6r I'm putting 2 and 2 together and presuming its you?

Anyway, as for the FZ1 vs FZ8 - I want the FZ1 - its had enough time to have been refined and tweaked in each revision.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I plan on keeping the 6 for a good year or so,then I'm going to go for the FZ1N
(And do an underseat exhaust mod) :thumbup:

Power corrupts and all that...

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
If the 8 was out when I was looking to get a bike, I would have bought it for sure... it fits my bill perfect.

However, if im going to bother going through the process of selling my bike (and losing tons on it) buying a new one and finding new insurance.... I will be doing far more of an upgrade than just 179ccs and better throttle response.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
As I have already sold my -6 due to financial straights, I'd probably consider buying a clean example of a used -6, when I am more solvent.... possibly an '07 or later.

Depending on how long that takes, my range of choices will broaden. Adding less than 200 cc and a bit more oomph down low isn't a bad thing; if the price for that was similar to the -6's price, I'd consider it.

I like the idea of the detuned motor, due to the longevity that will result in. The bearings, clutch, crank, rods, tranny are all designed for a higher HP application.... backing that off by 20% (or whatever the difference in power really amounts to from the FZ1 'down' to the FZ8) has a big, big impact on motor 'life'.

Inverted forks are a good thing, if the design still allows for relatively easy modification (new springs, altered damping) I wouldn't be too concerned ... it'd be nicer to have the 'good' bits right out of the box, but the price for that is usually too steep to make it worthwhile.

If the insurance is more reasonable than what a liter bike will wallop you for, and the driveline can take whatever you can dish out.... overall that's not a bad thing. Sure did work for Suzuki with the Katana series for a very, very long time.....

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Didn't vote, but I wouldn't go with the FZ8 from what I've read about it as an upgrade, I would probably switch brands (sadly).
Right now though I'm happy with the 6 though

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ8 is just a replacement for the FZ6....now that the XJ6, FZ6R has been put in place, and the FZ6 replaced by the FZ8... so why would you get rid of your FZ6, and replace it with an FZ8 which apart from looks, is not that much different in terms of power, and equipment spec.

The FZ1 is the next logical step up from the FZ6, or FZ8...but the FZ8 is only really the new FZ6.

:thumbup:

Debaser

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I can't really vote without having ridden the FZ8 but apart from that there are really 3 things that will make me go for the 8 over 1...

1. Price is considerably cheaper
2. Insurance is considerably cheaper (doubt it)
3. FZ8 has better low end torque than the FZ6 (more like the FZ1).

If these 3 things are true and the ride feels as comfortable as the FZ1 then I will go for it.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm keeping the Fizz 'till it dies.

That said, I really like the new (naked) FZ8. I think it's a step in the right direction for Yamaha. When the FZ6 finally goes (or I retire it), the FZ8 and Street Triple are at the top of the list.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The FZ8 is just a replacement for the FZ6....now that the XJ6, FZ6R has been put in place, and the FZ6 replaced by the FZ8... so why would you get rid of your FZ6, and replace it with an FZ8 which apart from looks, is not that much different in terms of power, and equipment spec.

The FZ1 is the next logical step up from the FZ6, or FZ8...but the FZ8 is only really the new FZ6.

For those of us who have already been up and down the displacement ladder, the -6 was potent enough to do the job, without the grief of too much excess. Not saying the -1 is truly excessive; just that it's a bit more than I need on a daily basis.

I agree, Yamaha has created a hole in their street bike lineup which the -8 fills. If the goal was to develop and market a lower power 600cc 'sporty' bike, they have done that with the FZ6R. Much like Kawasaki has done with the 500, and now the 650 ninja. Suzuki has had the GS500, and the SV 650 (whatever you want to call it this year), and the GSXR(s) for serious sport bikes.

The -8 makes sense in those terms.... but not as a transititon from FZ6 to progressively more and more power. Too small of a step. Going from a FZ6R, to the FZ8, to the FZ1.... that seems to be more 'even'.

Re-entering bikes, looking for decent power, reasonable ergos, and reasonable insurance..... seems like the -8 could 'play' in that market. As it's a recycled motor, and frame, and dumbed down suspension components..... it shouldn't be hideously expensive.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com

1. Throttle control. The 8 will be a bit more forgiving than the 1 for those who disconnect between the brain and right hand. ;)

2. Insurance. The difference between the 8 and the 1 can be the biggest "affordable factor" that makes or breaks the deal.

3. Style of riding. Judging by the specs of the new 8, it looks like Yamaha has smoothed out the throttle response and made acceleration more linear. They've increased low to mid range torque as well. Even though it is still about as heavy as the 1, I'm betting it is more nimble in the corners and more connected to the rider.

4. Suspension. The 1 has nearly a fully adjustable suspension. The official word is not out on the 8 as to weather it has the same. I know it is from the same core as the FZ1 but did they cut corners to reduce the price with one of them being the adjustable suspension?

I can't pick for you and I am biased. ;) I can say that it is very likely that a lot of the FZ1 aftermarket mods will fit the FZ8 though. :D
Cool. I'm not changing just yet, I just thought it might be an interesting thread.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site

4. Suspension. The 1 has nearly a fully adjustable suspension. The official word is not out on the 8 as to weather it has the same. I know it is from the same core as the FZ1 but did they cut corners to reduce the price with one of them being the adjustable suspension?

+1 ^... price, insurance, styling, ergos etc are all important factors...

What surprises me the most is the number of ppl in here who will dismiss a bike all together (even before it's out!!!) by simply looking at a spec sheet... imo you guys need to stop basing everything on spec sheets and/or magazine comparisons and/or online articles etc...

Ride the damn thing and make up your own mind!!! for all you know the FZ8 will feel better and give you more fun than any other bike you've ever ridden!! Spec sheet numbers aren't everything!

I voted for the FZ8 simply because it's new and I really would love to try the damn thing... :rockon:

Last edited:

DeadRider

Relax & Enjoy
Reaction score
Visit site

Sorry to differ, but I think Yamaha is thinking on new customers (normal ones, probably new to motorcycling, or with little experience), instead of FZ6 owner's. So FZ8 should be FZ1's replacement

IMHO, FZ6 is a great bike, but a little too much "high reved" to get some punch. And the FZ1 is too powefull and close to a sport bike (like de R1, CBR1K). So, i think the evolution to a XJ6/FZ8 from FZ6/FZ1 is to take some distance to the RR bikes (and probably with the FJR1300 for touring guys)

That way, you have 3 distinctive segments, with no "crossover" between them. That way Yamaha is achieving a bigger potencial market

1.- Conmmuters or "light tourers": XJ6/FZ8 (with strong low RPM torque, but not too many RPM, anyway you can keep 120 mph for a long time, if you want)
2.- Racers : R1/R6 (High RPM and HP bikes)
3.- Big tourer : FJR1300 (luxury touring, strong torque and hp)

Compare FZ6/FZ1 specs with their competition and you will see where the market is going.

For FZ6 you have : Ninja 650, Bandit 650, CBF 600S. All are closer to the XJ6 than FZ6
For FZ1 you have : Z1000 (only naked), CBF1000, Bandit 1200. All closer to FZ8 than FZ1

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
What I loved about the FZ6 was that it was such an over-achiever in its competitive group (sv650, etc). I agree it's a little misplaced if they're going to regroup their offering strategy... it all sorta makes sense now with the FZ6R going "down-spec" to better match its counterparts from Suzi and everyone else. The FZ8 only seems odd or under-powered if you're intimately familiar with the FZ6, I guess.

I voted to keep mine, because she's paid for and everything works. But if I had to choose, I'd go for the ABS FZ8 with the same small fairing. I'm a touring guy, not a wheelie guy.