FZ6's inline 4- a good starter bike/engine?

Oblisk

Reaction score
Visit site
my older brother has been riding a 07 SV650S for about 8 months now and when i asked him what he thought about the FZ6 he stated that the inline 4 isn't a good starter engine because of its hi end power band. does his statement hold any water?

ive never rode a bike before and am looking at the FZ6 as a intro bike.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
best starter bikes are 125 or 250 cc bikes...of course they are single or twin engines....i would highly recommend you to start with a low seated 250 but its up to you,,,i've seen a lot of starters with bigger bikes and turned out ok but i say FZ6 is definitely not a starter bike..

D

Deleted member 2349

I agree, in the fact that you should at least take a MSF course first, they don't cost much and you ride thier bikes(usually 250cc). If you do well in the course you might get a better idea of what you want to start with...and if you do choose the FZ6, try and find it used. No use putting money into a new one that you "might" drop/lay down.

Valles240

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with both of the above.^ Another one to check out is the kawi ninja 650r. I know a few people that have it (as their first bike), and after riding it for a few months they say it's too slow. Now when i rode it i thought it felt alright as far as position and handling go, but it is not a fast bike, so that might be an option. Go test it out and see what you think.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
There's better bikes to start with. There's also worse (any gsxr, r6, any liter bike, ect).
If you want to buy one to be a good rider, start off with a ninja 500/250 or equivalent. If you want to ride one just to commute or cruise, the FZ6 should be fine. If you've ridden motorized dirt bikes, the FZ6 should be fine.

Oblisk

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks i would definitely take all the safety courses and get my motorcycle endorsement and take it for a test drive first, my bro started on that SV and has been riding it nonstop with no problems hasnt dropped it or hit anything

btw if it makes a difference im about 6'3 and 150lbs
im a small ****er =P

Oblisk

Reaction score
Visit site
plus i dont really wanna drop 3k to 4k on a 250cc Kawasaki just to learn and drop another 6k on a fazer

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
plus i dont really wanna drop 3k to 4k on a 250cc Kawasaki just to learn and drop another 6k on a fazer

actually , the ex250/ex500 bikes are easiest bikes to sell without losing any money,,,just like you,,once you are done with it, someone else will buy it to learn and get used to riding bikes...you definitely shouldnt drop 3-4k on one but the bike you will be looking for is a 5-6 yr old 250 or 500 and you shouldnt be spending more than $2000....and once you are done with it,it will still be worth $2000...i dont remember who but someone else wrote the same thing on a different thread couple weeks ago,,it is true..
then again its up to you,,,i started riding scooters ,,then 125's and 250's..it was a big jump for me when i got my first 4 cylinder bike..it was a 1000cc bike though...its not about the engine type,,for a beginner its all about the throttle response...250cc bike will not be as much responsive to the possible mistakes you may make on an unlucky situation...one would only stall or just drop,the other one could fly you under a vehicle pretty quick..

Oblisk

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea
when i first started lookin at bikes i was in the ZOMG uber fast no consequences stage then i went to ride2die.com when it was still up and now i realize just how naive and stupid my previous mindset on riding was

Thanks a ton for the info on the resale value of those bikes that has now become a very viable choice when i finally decide to just get out there and buy a bike

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
A good starter bike is a relative term... In my opinion, a good starter bike has more to do with the fact of whether you care or not if you drop it.... because you are probably going to. A dirt bike would be the best place to learn. Dropping it won't matter as much... Albeit smaller street bikes are less intimidating by virtue of their lesser weight and power. Just as easy to drop for someone with no experience, however. So think of that poor shiny new FZ6 as you swing your leg over it (probably kicking the tail section in the process) for the very first time on it or any other motorcycle...

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
A good starter bike is a relative term... In my opinion, a good starter bike has more to do with the fact of whether you care or not if you drop it.... because you are probably going to. A dirt bike would be the best place to learn. Dropping it won't matter as much... Albeit smaller street bikes are less intimidating by virtue of their lesser weight and power. Just as easy to drop for someone with no experience, however. So think of that poor shiny new FZ6 as you swing your leg over it (probably kicking the tail section in the process) for the very first time on it or any other motorcycle...

I still do that from time to time....... I still carry a rag to buff it off in case it leaves a mark, someday i'll get over that and just accept she'll get scuffs.........

Pondrat

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is my first bike and I can say that I couldn't be happier. I was worried about how everyone said that it was too powerful for a beginner. I've been very comfortable riding it and know that it will allow me the performance I need as I become a more experienced rider.

I will be a bit heartbroken when (not if, as most people remind me) I drop the bike. But the joys of riding it in the meantime far outweigh the worries of hurting it.

I took the MSF course first - a MUST. I'm also very cautious and have ridden dirt bikes in the past - not sure if that has helped or not. I know many people will disagree, but I think the FZ6 is a fine choice for first bike. Personally, I am very thankful that I didn't get a small bike like a Ninja 250.

Whatever you do, good luck and take care!

OkieDavid

Reaction score
Visit site
I started with dual sports at 14yo. First bike was a 2cycle Yamaha 125. Excellent starter bike for a kid cause it was light enough to pick back up and had a top speed of 55mph (before you fouled a plug). Next bike at 15 was a 2cycle Yamaha 400. Better speed, response and power....Now that I'm an adult and just getting back into riding my FZ6 is just about a perfect match. I've had to drop a foot a time or two (turning into my sandbox driveway) but it's still light enough to catch and has all the power I need for a daily 48mi commute. Longwinded response to finally answer your question but I think it's all relative to; 1. Age of rider 2. Experience level of rider and 3. Maturity level of the rider.....Had I started riding with all this power- I probably wouldn't be alive to type this response.......