FZ6N write off, not sure whether to keep the wreck or let the insurance company take it

Neophyte

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently got into an accident T-bone into another car (his fault) with the bike then falling on its rider left side. The bike is a write off and im getting insurance money for it. Im trying to work out if losing some of the payout to keep the wreck is worth it to sell it for parts. Opinions would be appreciated :)

Ill list out whats damaged on the bike below, and anything worth noting of it's value.

The bikes front forks took most of the impact. The damage to the bike and what needs replacing are:
- front forks need to be replaced
- right front disk brake and brake caliper
- left clutch leaver
- rear left fairing
- left mirror
- left rider foot peg
- left pillion foot beg
- the housing for the front light has been cracked and also needs replacing

It's worth noting that the bike has also got:
- slip on exhaust probably worth 800-600$ brand new (not sure which one)
- near new pilot road 2, there is however a fixed puncture on the rear tyre.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How is that a write-off? Sounds like a cheap fix. Maybe the frame is scratched? I'm with Kazza, some R6 forks and you're set.

What was the quote to fix it? Not sure the exhaust you put on?

But if you're fully covered (ie if the other guy was insured) then if it were me I'd just let the insurance company do what they do, and get your new bike. Takes all the hassle out and you're not stuck trying to sell bits and pieces off. There are still FZ6Ns available so if that's your preference you can pick them up very cheaply atm.

Neophyte

Reaction score
Visit site
How is that a write-off? Sounds like a cheap fix. Maybe the frame is scratched? I'm with Kazza, some R6 forks and you're set.

What was the quote to fix it? Not sure the exhaust you put on?

But if you're fully covered (ie if the other guy was insured) then if it were me I'd just let the insurance company do what they do, and get your new bike. Takes all the hassle out and you're not stuck trying to sell bits and pieces off. There are still FZ6Ns available so if that's your preference you can pick them up very cheaply atm.

To be honest i think it is a cheap fix then what the mechanics quoted me, i think the mechanics have overcharged me quite a bit here, firstly they said it was going to cost $8900 (i kid you not...). I think they looked up the value of the bike in the red book because they later revised this to $7800. NRMA came along and ruled it a write off. I'm pretty certain a less dodgey place will repair it cheaper. but at this stage im looking to get the most $$ possible so i have the most options for getting a new bike (maybe an r1 :) )

I think if they charge me $1500 or higher to keep the wreck then it's probably not worth it.

Yes the frame did get scratched.

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
Well at work as soon as we find and kind of damage to a frame weather it bent or just a small scratch we call the insurance company and tell them and they tell us to stop as it is a write off with any frame damage at all (im guessing as they cant guarantee and work on frames?). This may depend on the insurance company but the few we have delt with this is the case.

From the I think it is the first of july this year there are no more repairable write offs anyway. this will make more insurace companies repair bikes and cars as they wont get as much at actions, one of the reasons for it is to stop rebirths.

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
a scratched frame and it a write off? **** me sideways news to me
buul****

well find out if u can keep the bike as i will have a set of r6 forks and brakes and mount kit for sale soon

along with a set of leo cans :)

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Guess it depends how mechanical you are, if extremely and your likely to fix it up yourself all good, otherwise it will probably end up one of those endless money sync projects :p
Like someone mentioned about the writeoffs not being repairable anymore.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ring your insurance company and ask how much.....I think you'll be surprised at the amount they'll want. It'll more than likely go for 3-4k at auction.....but I'm sure they'll be happy to give you a figure. I did.....I was hoping the same kind of thing...lol. They wanted 3 grand.:(

Neophyte

Reaction score
Visit site
Ring your insurance company and ask how much.....I think you'll be surprised at the amount they'll want. It'll more than likely go for 3-4k at auction.....but I'm sure they'll be happy to give you a figure. I did.....I was hoping the same kind of thing...lol. They wanted 3 grand.:(

Wow 3k that sucks, mine is a 2006 model worth between 6600-7800 (Im guessing they take the lower figure) in the redbook. If they ask for 3k im not going to bother taking the wreck. I asked them for the figure but they can't give it to me yet because they are awaiting paper work to be complete or something.

Rossi46

Reaction score
Visit site
I got news yesterday that mine is a write off, 4 months 3 days after some lady did a U turn. They want $2500 for the wreck!! The frame is bent and so are the forks! I think Ill let it go through to the keeper...