FZ6 Windscreen Poll

What windscreen do you use?

• Yamaha touring screen

Votes: 73 13.7%
  • Puig Racing screen (aka double bubble)

Votes: 199 37.3%
  • Puig Touring screen

Votes: 51 9.6%
  • CalSci (S, M, L) (S2)

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Givi DS Profile screen (S1&2)

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • Cee Bailey (S2)

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • MRA screen (add sub-type)

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • 7JuRock screen

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Laminar Lip

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Gustaffson screens (S1&2)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • MadStad Engineering RoboBrackets

Votes: 17 3.2%
  • Converted my S1 fairing to an S2 fairing

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • OEM screen mod (cut, drilled, etc)

Votes: 50 9.4%
  • Went naked…

Votes: 52 9.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 43 8.1%

• Total voters

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
The Puig Touring looks pretty much like the stock screen, but is 4 inches taller. For me (5'8" tall) it was smoother but much noisier than stock. It shifted the wind stream from roughly my neck to forehead.

You asked about the edging, above. I don't recall my Puig Touring coming with any, but I'm sure he's talking about trim that fits on the top, exposed edge of the screen. Imagine a hose with a slit along its length and slipped over the edge of the screen.

I've since moved onto a MRA Vario screen. Same height as stock, but has an adjustable spoiler.

xDavidx

Overlord of the Universe
Reaction score
Visit site

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got mine on ebay for $77. It blocks the wind from hitting my chest, but it sure does hit right at my helmet so its noiser than stock. I like it better though, I wear ear plug anyway.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

blastoff

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all. First post here.

Just bought a 2009 FZ6 for summer touring, including a planned BBG. I was thrilled that the bike had the Yamaha touring windscreen... until I rode it the 100 miles home.

I like the nice little "air pocket" created behind the screen. It's very comfy. However, the windscreen directs the airflow perfectly at my helmeted head. It's very loud. Really loud. So now what?

Here are (at least some of) the pertinent facts:

I'm 5'5" with a slightly-shorter-than-average torso length, and short arms. This combination puts me closer to the front of the bike than some of you.

My helmet fits very well, and is not subject to lift.

I always wear earplugs when I ride, and not just because my Ducati has really loud exhaust. ;) Well, ok; I rode the Duc without earplugs once.

Given this, what would your suggestions be for another windscreen? I don't mind a little windblast hitting me in the chest, but this directly-into-the-hat stuff is horrible for noise and buffeting. Hate to say it, but things are much quieter aboard the Monster with zero fairing/windscreen and even without earplugs than they are aboard the FZ6 with the touring screen and earplugs.

I'm tempted to find a used stock height windscreen, or spend $22 for a Chinese knockoff on ebay, and shave it down until I find the right height.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel like a freaking kite on my fz and it kinda strips the pleasure out of higher speed riding. Considering no one can agree on one that actually diverts the right amount of air and keeps quiet, I'll be experimenting on my own by making a custom clip-on one made of plexi-glass or something. I'll post back with my findings in a month or so.

blastoff

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel like a freaking kite on my fz and it kinda strips the pleasure out of higher speed riding. Considering no one can agree on one that actually diverts the right amount of air and keeps quiet, I'll be experimenting on my own by making a custom clip-on one made of plexi-glass or something. I'll post back with my findings in a month or so.

Be quick about it - my BBG is planned for less than four weeks from now.

;)

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I may get a MadStad screen by the end of the summer. I like the looks of it and would like to get on the highway a little more as I learn to ride at higher speeds.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I tryed several windshields and there is no perfect one for the task.
The best one so far is to cut the stock to the mirror base. No buffeting nor noise.
However the highway ride over 70 is hard on the chest. To solve that, I bought an MRA spoiler and problem solved. Best wind protection as it gets, and more fun to ride.

caelanseth

Reaction score
Visit site
I plan on picking up a CalSci +8 or +9.5 screen in the next few weeks for longer rides. I have heard VERY good reviews on them. Although the looks definetly take something away from the bike.

atticuss66

Reaction score
Visit site
I tryed several windshields and there is no perfect one for the task.
The best one so far is to cut the stock to the mirror base. No buffeting nor noise.
However the highway ride over 70 is hard on the chest. To solve that, I bought an MRA spoiler and problem solved. Best wind protection as it gets, and more fun to ride.

I'm interested in one of these...which one did u get??? sport or touring model??

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm interested in one of these...which one did u get??? sport or touring model??
I have this MRA X-Creen Tour Clamp-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade Windshield Extension - TwistedThrottle.com
It's a touring one. Not cheap at all, but does the job. It cost a bit more because it''s not only bolt's into the screen, but can be clamped on it as well.
Bolt-on only - MRA X-creen Tour Bolt-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade Windshield Extension - TwistedThrottle.com
I can't say anything about the sport one. I guess it may look better, but will yield more wind.

blastoff

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a stock screen. It's much better than the touring screen, but not perfect. I think it'll be good enough... although if I get to my takeoff point and my ears are ringing, I might have a friend cut it down a bit.

atticuss66

Reaction score
Visit site
I have this MRA X-Creen Tour Clamp-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade Windshield Extension - TwistedThrottle.com
It's a touring one. Not cheap at all, but does the job. It cost a bit more because it''s not only bolt's into the screen, but can be clamped on it as well.
Bolt-on only - MRA X-creen Tour Bolt-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade Windshield Extension - TwistedThrottle.com
I can't say anything about the sport one. I guess it may look better, but will yield more wind.

Thanks...I would go for the touring model too...with the clamp style. Would hate to drill holes in my new Piug.

Bassieh

Dark Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a stock? Touring screen which makes a lot of noise around my helmet now. Ordered a Puig double bubble one now. Also looks way better.

siebsey

Reaction score
Visit site
I put a Laminar Lip on a couple of weeks ago and can't stop raving about it. It took away almost all of the buffeting and lessened the wind on my face. I wear a helmet that's a size too big so the wind was pushing my head back to the extent that my neck would hurt 15 or so minutes into a "spirited" ride. Now I don't have any issues.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I grabbed this Puig off a member here. Not sure which it is, about 4" taller than stock you can see its above the OEM mirrors.
FWIW: i'm 5.10" w/32" inseam and this is good to 75 mph. A constant 80+ and you need ear plugs, but I wear them all the time anyway.

WEB3IMG_20130704_175201_075_zpsc983e781.jpg

atticuss66

Reaction score
Visit site

I was going to order one tonite( touring) but i'm not sure if it is too wide for db Puig. Hinges are roughly 11" apart so it would be close.
I may have no choice and have to order the the sport model.

cupcake

Reaction score
Visit site

rankinx

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the double bubble.

My only rant is that it vibrate so much at low speed.

I tried to put little plastic things at few places but it didn't work as expected so far.

I even had to make adjustment with sand paper because the fitting was not right.

I will need a different material to help removing the vibration noise, it's driving me nuts.

here is the result :

1oqhdh.jpg