FZ6 vs. FZ8

sQuijeW

Reaction score
Visit site
What are the pros/cons of having an FZ6 over an FZ8 and vice versa?

Why did you choose the fz6 and not the fz8?

Does the FZ8 offer anything that the fz6 does not?

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ8 offers a 799cc motor as opposed to the FZ6 600cc motor. The FZ8 comes naked in the US, while the FZ6 was sold faired. The FZ8 puts out more HP and torque due to the increase displacement. The FZ8 offers newer technology.

I would rather buy an FZ6 (which is what I did) because you can get a used one in good condition for a great price and build it however you see fit.

MiFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 = $$
FZ8 = $$$$

This applies to pretty much everything. For me, I just didn't want to pay the premium for the much newer bike. I got an FZ6 that was 6 years old and had 4k miles for $3500. FZ8's tend to go for nearly twice that with 15-20k. They do have a better suspension and a bigger engine. They don't get quite as good of gas mileage, but it's close. They are a little heavier, but not much. I love the way the FZ8 looks compared to the FZ6, but not enough to break the bank on one.

Poot

Thank God ^ was there!
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 = $$
FZ8 = $$$$

This applies to pretty much everything. For me, I just didn't want to pay the premium for the much newer bike. I got an FZ6 that was 6 years old and had 4k miles for $3500. FZ8's tend to go for nearly twice that with 15-20k. They do have a better suspension and a bigger engine. They don't get quite as good of gas mileage, but it's close. They are a little heavier, but not much. I love the way the FZ8 looks compared to the FZ6, but not enough to break the bank on one.

From what i have seen, basically you pay $1,000 / 100cc except if it is something like a Ducati.

I would go with the FZ6 because of the online support for the bike, and you can always make it look just like an FZ8 for cheaper than the FZ8 would be.

D

Dave.TX

FZ6 = $$
FZ8 = $$$$

FZ1$$$$$

Most opt to get an FZ1 instead of 8 nowadays. 6 hasn't been sold in U.S. since 2009 model. An 8 is slightly cheaper than a 1 but the 1 is a much better bike. Even the 6 is arguably better than the 8, being lighter and thus about the same power and also much cheaper. For a few more dollars than an anemic 8 you can get a 1 which has adjustable suspension and much more power along with an upper fairing.

I've seen the 8's. I don't like the naked part and a local owner of one grumbles about having gotten it... "shoulda gotten an FZ1..."

I'm not saying don't get one. They are what they are. If you want a brand new bike but not an FZ1 then get the 8 as there aren't any new 6's for the last few years. Or opt for an FZ6R, which has less power than the FZ6 but does have cool fairings.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my FZ6 new so they FZ8 wasn't out yet but I still would have chosen the 6, plenty of power, better fuel economy and I like having a front fairing.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel the same way as far as the FZ1 over the FZ8. I like the fairing at higher speeds. I've had naked bikes and faired. I like the plastic but some nakeds just look so good! :BLAA:

Yes FZ1 equal more ponies, fairing, suspension and you can by a used one for a good deal.

I think the FZ8 is a nice bike but for me personally?

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1$$$$$

Most opt to get an FZ1 instead of 8 nowadays. 6 hasn't been sold in U.S. since 2009 model. An 8 is slightly cheaper than a 1 but the 1 is a much better bike. Even the 6 is arguably better than the 8, being lighter and thus about the same power and also much cheaper. For a few more dollars than an anemic 8 you can get a 1 which has adjustable suspension and much more power along with an upper fairing.

I've seen the 8's. I don't like the naked part and a local owner of one grumbles about having gotten it... "shoulda gotten an FZ1..."

I'm not saying don't get one. They are what they are. If you want a brand new bike but not an FZ1 then get the 8 as there aren't any new 6's for the last few years. Or opt for an FZ6R, which has less power than the FZ6 but does have cool fairings.

The 6R with an exhaust, PCV and a FZ6 cam swap is very respectable for street riding and still get 45 MPG on freeway, 38-40 city. That put you up in the low 80's ponies.

I just got back from Laconia Bike Week (live in West Palm Beach) Other than the seat padding... I never felt like I needed more of anything... but it would be nice to have an extra 40-60 HP one day. I did a Iron Butt Bun-Burner 1500 on the way back! That mean 1500 miles under 24 hrs!!! 1550 in 23:38...

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For me, I love the look of the 8 but it is not available in this market. I have only ever seen one in the flesh and that was at Silverstone last year.

6 only came here faired as did 1, but I would love this 8....

2012_FZ8-N.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For me, I love the look of the 8 but it is not available in this market. I have only ever seen one in the flesh and that was at Silverstone last year.

6 only came here faired as did 1, but I would love this 8....

That is a great looking bike!

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I personally don't understand the marketing boffins at Yamaha.

There was enough difference between the FZ6 and FZ1 to suit different markets.

Now, with the increased displacement and weight, the FZ8 is almost irrelevant. (why buy an FZ8, when you can get the FZ1 for slightly more)

My thoughts anyway.

Cheers,
Rick

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the fz8 makes a lot of sense after the demise of the original fz6. So for the 2010 market you have he fz6r, fz8, and fz1 and the fz8 fits the gap between the 6r and the fz1 perfect. That's if someone never knew about the original fz6, but for us who do its kind or like WTF is this all about? I though it was supposed to be a upgrade but in my eyes it's more of a direct replacement for the original fz6. If you think of it in those terms (a upgraded/updated direct replacement for the original fz6) then it is a great bike. It comes with everything that the previous fz6 owners wanted, better forks, a little more top end, more tq, better seat that is also separate from the passenger and many other upgrades. The original fz6 was never really a good starter bike but the fz6r is and there is no point in making 2 fz6's so hello fz8. As I said before pretty much everything we wanted in the 6 but in a whole new package.

So again if you think of it as a "upgrade" you will be disappointed but if you think of it as a replacement then you will be thrilled!!!

Also to add to that if the fz8 didn't exists then there would be a huge void in the Yamaha line up. Then you say well bring back the original fz6. Can you imagine the confusion at the dealers... "but this one has fairings and say "r" so it must be faster right" so then you say drop the fz6r, fz8 and bring back the fz6, so then your right back where Yamaha started with 2 great bikes but no "beginner" bike or competition for the ninja 650r or other bikes like that.

Last edited:

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
They (Yamaha) should have redesigned the FZ6 as a naked bike from the factory. They went the other way with the FZ6R and sales plummeted. I haven't seen too many FZ8's riding around so I don't believe the sales of the 8's are that good. I still love my 6!!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Like Chevy I think the 8 replaces the 6 nicely and works better for two up riding. It also appeals to the person that wants the look of the FZ1 but not the price tag. I know everyone says "but you can get a used 1 for a little less then the 8" but Yamaha doesn't sell used bikes so the average buyer in the showroom see two similar bikes one with a smaller price tag.

Anyway the FZ6S had a great run but was loosing market share to ninja 650 and the SV650 both much better beginner bikes and many believe better commuters and still a lot of fun for for seasoned riders.

And if yamaha made the White/Red FZ8 available in more places I'm sure we all would be seeing more on on the road.

FZPhil

Reaction score
Visit site
HI, I'm new to this forum because I had an FZ8 that I sold and then picked up a used 09 FZ6N. IMHO, the FZ6 is a much better all around bike out the door. It comes with a center stand, passenger grab handles, fairing, windshield. All things you have to buy for an FZ8. I even like the under seat exhaust better. Plus, I didn't like the angle of the seat on the FZ8. It felt like I was always sliding into the tank. I think Yamaha made a mistake be only offering the FZ6R after 2009. Now, if you're looking for a stripped down FZ6 with more power, then the FZ8 is a great choice.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
We here in the states unfortunately haven't been introduced to the tdm 900 although I hear and have read good things about it.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a TDM850 when they were released, and upgraded to a TDM900 when it was released. The TDM850 was carby and the TDM900 is efi. Both bikes are parallel twins with 270* v-twin timing. With Staintune pipes, they sounded unreal!

Pull stumps from idle and get 55-60mpg riding two-up on the highway....

Great bikes.

Cheers,
Rick

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I personally don't understand the marketing boffins at Yamaha.

There was enough difference between the FZ6 and FZ1 to suit different markets.

Now, with the increased displacement and weight, the FZ8 is almost irrelevant. (why buy an FZ8, when you can get the FZ1 for slightly more)

My thoughts anyway.

Cheers,
Rick
This is what I though too. :confused: The only thing an FZ8 does better than an FZ1 is go farther on a tank of fuel. But, I'd rather have the fairing, windscreen, and power of an FZ1 over an 8 any day.
But I dun chose an FZ6 because it's way cheaper, lighter, and has a fairing. :thumbup: