FZ6 v FZ1

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A local motor journalist is running a story at the moment basically asking "Why choose the FZ6 over the FZ1".

I think it is a valid and sensible question and would like to link him to the site to see for himself the replies.

I would like sensible, clean answers please.

If you want to be the class clown and give silly, abusive replies, then please do not bother.

I would like to portray FZ6 owners as sensible bikers with something worthwhile listening to.

This thread is being run on other forums including the FZ1 forum and is getting a good and balanced response.

Lets hope we can do the same.

So what were the reasons YOU chose the FZ6 over the FZ1.

Could we limit it to one post per person and not use it as a discussion for now. Thanks.

And if you read it say why you bought the FZ6.

Regards :Flash:

Steve

Last edited:

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
When I went to the dealer to buy I was originally looking at the FZ-1. I had not been riding for about 5 years and the bikes I had owned before were old low power machines. I decided to purchase the FZ-6, gain some experience with the new tech machines and then move up to The FZ-1 in the future.

Now that I have the 600 I have found that it is one very capable bike and will probably stick with it for quite some time.

PlasticPig

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I think the 600 has the ideal balance of power and flexibility.

I wanted a bike that was flexible enough to handle the South Florida traffic and the total lack of awareness that drivers here have for one another but also something that was fun to ride and has enough power to make me grin when I want it to.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I went with the FZ6 because I'm a new rider and I wanted something to 'cut my teeth' on, so I didn't want a bike that was too big/powerful.

At some point in the future I might want to upgrade, but I'd like to put a couple of years and a few thousand miles on the FZ6 first.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
1. I liked the look of the 6 better than the 1
2. The price makes it easier to modify (personalization is important to me)
3. Everyone wants a liter bike, I would rather have efficiency and an easier to handle (ie; lighter) bike
4. I appreciate the bigger gas tank of the 6
5. The 6 has to get better gas mileage than the 1
6. most people say that the 6 is just as quick as bigger bikes until mid-triple digits. I don't need/want anything that fast (it will just get me into trouble)
For my needs and wants, the FZ6 suited me better and I really think the FZ1 is overkill.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did consider the FZ1 for about 10 minutes. The salesman who was helping me owns one and was raving about it. It is a nice bike, lots more aftermarket vs. the FZ6.

The bike is nice but it was too expensive, and the insurance is much more. I also like smaller, lighter bikes, better handling and easier to move around the garage and parking lots. I also liked the looks of the 6 better, the fairing and the exhaust placement specifically. Other things I liked are the R6 wheels and brakes, and the tuning of the motor, this is more of an in-class comparison than vs. the FZ1.

Dislikes are the non-adjustability of the suspension and the limits the gas tank and fairing places on handle bar options.

Other than that is is a great bike that has plenty of power for me. I don't need a liter bike.

Y

yukon_alex

After spending 3 months in Europe and seeing everybody riding about on smaller displacement bikes, I decided that the smaller version would be the perfect fit for me too! I specifically chose the FZ6 over the FZ1 because:

1. I like the looks better. It is more integrated in my eyes.
2. Lighter weight.
3. Better mileage.
4. More leg room. In the showroom, the FZ6 seems to have the edge in comfort.
5. I love the sound of an engine spinning past 12000 rpm!

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 was signifigantly cheaper. Seems the top speeds are almost the same between the two and I commute with the FZ so gas was a concern.

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 7000+ miles on my '05 FZ6 and I love it, I went to the bike show in January and walked around all of the displays and sat on quite a few different bikes and kept coming back to my FZ6 - I left the show quite content that I have the bike that I want.
- It has plenty of power
- Gets great gas mileage (50+ MPG is my average)
- It looks sharp
- It has just enough fairing to serve the purpose
- It is light enough to be manageable
- The price point is very attractive
- Makes a perfect beginner bike (it is my first)
- Riding position is very comfortable
- It comes in "Faster Blue"

W

wrightme43

The FZ6 does everything I want a bike to do. Its good at almost everything. It allows me to do all the things bikes are good for. I like the way it looks.

flyer34

Reaction score
Visit site
In order of importance:

1. Insurance
2. Cost of the bike
3. It's my first motorcycle and 1000CC seemed like a bad idea for a newbie

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Reasons I chose the FZ6:
1. ideal commuter/ all round bike (FZ1 has worse fuel economy)
2. Price
3. Enough power for me.
4. Looks

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Coming off of a YZF600R i looked into the whole Yamaha line (I am a Yamaha bike guy, probably never going to stray for the street). I needed the comfort that i was used to on the YZF and the ergonomics of the FZ are actually almost identical. I also ride about 14,000 miles in a 6 month span and LOVE to ride. I enjoy the fact that I don;t have to stop for gas every 100 miles or so and the 600 is a smaller, more maneuverable alternative. Also I took into account the cost of insurance, monthly payments and fuel. Then considered that the cost of the more power was not worth it to me to get the 1000cc version.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't need 1000cc's because I am not racing, just riding. Also, it was cheaper and it seemed like a very practical bike that can be used for many things.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
New Rider = 600 plenty of power
Way more cost effective, initial price and gas mileage

have fun with the article

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
I went with the FZ6 over other bikes mostly for the comfort issue. It wouldn't have mattered to me the size of the engine, but I needed something I could ride long distances without getting fatigued or uncomfortable. The FZ6 fits me perfectly off the showroom floor. The power and speed are more than I will ever need on the street. The fuel mileage is nice as well, though I do own a bike that gets 60 mpg also.:thumbup:

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with pretty much everything said. When I was buying, I looked at it from a different perspective. I asked myself how is the FZ1 better than the FZ6? The only answers I could come up with were:
a) It is more powerful
b) It has a better suspension
The extra power is useless to me as I don't race, stunt or cruise at 120+ mph. If the suspension ever becomes a limitation for me, I figure it will be more economical to modify it than to buy an FZ1.

Jeremiah

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a 2008 FZ6. I've been riding for 4 years now (on EX250), and I'm very happy with the performance, quality of build at it's price point.

* FZ6 already has best-in-class power, and the power of the FZ1 is far beyond my risk tolerance
* Larger gas tank / longer range
* Under-tail exhaust
* The FZ1 is unattractive - just down right fugly actually
* Initial price of the bike
* Lightweight / nimbleness: I spend a lot of time in traffic, and appreciate the flickability of the FZ6
* Recurring ownership costs (insurance, gas mileage, tire wear)
* I feel like I "fit" better on it

I would like to portray FZ6 owners as sensible bikers with something worthwhile listening to.

I'm curious, why wouldn't you want to portray us as exactly who each-and-every-one of us are? Sensible is an objective term anyway.

~J~

Last edited: