FZ6 touring pegs/seat/bars/screen help?

M

mnormand

Hello to all, new member, my first post here !

Specific forums like these are so great for getting info. I sure would appreciate some feedback here...

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on either a nice used Kawasaki Versys, or Yamaha FZ6.

I really love the Yam, (especially that dual under seat exhaust!) but I don't pretend to be a sport rider, just like to cruise daytrips, casual 200-300day rides, etc. But at 51yrs, 6ft, 200#, I'm looking for a more situp ride than crotch rocket ride. Don't want to subject my back to bending over all day. The Versys has all this, but....

Is it reasonable to install barback risers, lower the pegs, increase seat height with Corbin or such, and increase the windscreen to make the FZ6 more long distance friendly? I'm looking for a reason to buy the Yam, because I love the build quality.

I just sold my 06 Triumph Tiger set up as such, it was a nice ride. But like my current Yam WR250R, I want a road bike that's bulletproof, gas n go, easy maint intervals, etc.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
overall it is not bad to mod the fz for touring.. search touring and you should come up with a bit.

why sell the tiger??? i loved my 05' and love my 08' even more..

M

mnormand

overall it is not bad to mod the fz for touring.. search touring and you should come up with a bit.

why sell the tiger??? i loved my 05' and love my 08' even more..

Thx Bigdog... the tiger was too big, and too much bike in lots of ways. It had about 120hp with the TOR can and map. Great for some, not so good for me.

n3lrk

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am 53 6' tall and 215 lbs and have done two to three hundred mile days and felt like I could still keep going. I can live with the handlebars and I tolerate the seat but for regular touring I would change the windshield. I installed the puig DB racing windscreen, which is a little taller than stock. There are some threads about windscreens to search for more info. I picked the FZ6 over the other 600cc bikes and i've been very happy with the decision.

logan77

Reaction score
Visit site
I did a puig touring screen and up and back risers for my bars and love it. Next is a seat for those long rides. You won't be disappointed with the FZ6.

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 can easily be set up to be an exceptional sport tourer. This year I bought a FZ6 as a stable mate to my BMW R1100RS. It was quite easy to make the FZ tourable, in fact I find it more comfortable than the RS.

Here are the mods I made:
- Cee Bailey's windscreen
- a pair of inexpensive Buel Lightings foot pegs (1 inch lower than the FZ stock)
- a set of bar back/risers from Twisted Throttle
- FZ1 handlebars (a great improvement over the FZ6 bars)
- Kaoke throttle lock
- front fork emmulaters
- steel braided brake lines
- modified seat (local Apple Auto Glass flattened the seat out so that I don't slide into the tank and moved the rise back a little over an inch allowing me more room to move around.

I absolutely love the FZ6 as evidenced by the 20,000 kms that I've logged so far this year. Only managed 2000 kms on the BMW and less that 1000 kms on my KLR. (It's nice being retired!)

Go for the FZ6, light, powerful, nimble, comfortable, and fun. Get a set of soft saddlebags and a tank bag and you can tour for weeks.

jody.adams

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed an MRA touring screen, handlebar bar backs, engine bars, and pegs. All ordered from Twisted Throttle. This allows me to sit upright on the bike and extend my legs waaay out. I'm 6'3" and this made a huge difference. I use the bike for a twice daily one hour commute and it's awesome. I can use the stock seat or my TS seat and they both feel more comfortable as a result of the highway bar/peg combo. It turns the bike into a sort of cruiser. I have ridden my buddies Harleys and my bike with the pegs is way more comfortable.

The windscreen makes a big difference too as I typically zing along between 75-95mph and never have a sore neck from the wind knocking my head around.

Theres another thread on here somewhere that lists all the parts used with pics. Search for Givi Engine Bars. The pegs are Kuryakyn right angle isopegs.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
- modified seat (local Apple Auto Glass flattened the seat out so that I don't slide into the tank and moved the rise back a little over an inch allowing me more room to move around.

How much difference did the modified seat make? I hear nothing but good about the TS seats, but I do more sport than touring riding, and 98% solo, so I would like to keep a cowl on it. But I do typically take a longish trip once or twice a year (~1000 mi, not really long) so ideally I'd be shooting for something comfy enough for that as well.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
A new windshield is the most important thing for touring. CalSci makes several, Cee Bailey's is good too. There are other 'sportier' versions out there as well.

You can get hi-way pegs that mount to crashbars. They work very well on long trips.

SW-Motech sells risers/barbacks (check out Twistedthrottle.com). I ended up taking mine off, but they work as advertised.

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
Only the riders section of the seat was significantly modified; the upholster built up the front section of the seat with a high density foam and then covered the whole seat with a softer foam. The seat is now about one inch higher than stock. I chose a carbon fiber style cover. Cost was only $150 Cdn including taxes.

I have found the moded seat to be most comfortable. Like it better than the Corbins I have on RS and the KLR. I really needed a seat that I could move around on. The stock seat was too cramped for me and tended to slide me forward into the tank. Now I have different positions to settle into when I am on longer rides.

The upholster should be able to modify the seat so that the cowl will still fit.

Figured I saved myself a lot of money with this mod over a Corbin or TS.

pedge1

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 can easily be set up to be an exceptional sport tourer. This year I bought a FZ6 as a stable mate to my BMW R1100RS. It was quite easy to make the FZ tourable, in fact I find it more comfortable than the RS.

- a pair of inexpensive Buel Lightings foot pegs (1 inch lower than the FZ stock)
- Kaoke throttle lock
- front fork emmulaters

I absolutely love the FZ6 as evidenced by the 20,000 kms that I've logged so far this year. Only managed 2000 kms on the BMW and less that 1000 kms on my KLR. (It's nice being retired!)

Go for the FZ6, light, powerful, nimble, comfortable, and fun. Get a set of soft saddlebags and a tank bag and you can tour for weeks.[/QUOTE

Do the buell footpegs need modification or will they bolt on?

Last edited:

robsch

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you will not be disappointed by the FZ6. I was also looking hard at the Versys - looked great on paper, but i felt very "disconnected" when I rode it. I had a similar feeling but to a lesser degree when I rented a Ninja 650R. By contrast the FZ6 is nearly telepathic in handling, and I'm stoked to be getting 50 mpg and have all the power I need and more.

I bought the bike this spring, and went on a 2000 mile tour with friends soon afterwards.

Mods:
  • Splurged on seat from Top Saddlery in France (topsaddlery.com)
  • Cal Sci windshield - great design eliminated the "dirty" windstream
  • FZ-1 handlebars, but I got them to go less upright, not more
  • Givi PLX bags on SW-Motech mounts
  • FZ-1 handlebars, but I got it to go less upright, not more

I would wait to pick up the handlebars until you've had a chance to get used to the position. TwistedThrottle has good selection on risers, as others have commented.

-Rob

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
The Buel Lightling pegs need to be filed down so that they will fit. I used the stock pins to complete the install. The one inch lowered peg did wonders for these old knees.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site

- Kaoke throttle lock
- front fork emmulaters

Go for the FZ6, light, powerful, nimble, comfortable, and fun. Get a set of soft saddlebags and a tank bag and you can tour for weeks.

I did some of those things to mine including a Bill Mayer seat...it served me well for my recent New Mexico trip.

IMG_2486.JPG

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Willard - I ordered some Buell pegs and should have them today.

I think you'll be pleased. Folks over at the VFR Forum are using the Buells as well. A friend of mine put them on his BMW R1200ST. I purchased the pegs from our local Harley dealer, $50Cdn taxes in.

pedge1

Reaction score
Visit site
From whom did you order?

I found what appear to be pegs for the Buell lightning
here. Do I have the right part?:
lightning-controls-xb-footpeg-kit-rider.jpg

Thats who I ordered them from - Ordered yesterday morning and per UPS they were delivered to my house this morning. Per Willard they will need a little modification. I will let you know how they turn out tonight.