FZ6 to Street Triple

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I am strongly considering switching to a street triple. I have put 20,000 very fun miles on my FZ-6 and I have the title. The bike has been nothing short of fantastic for me. It has literally never given me one issue in 20k miles.

The only issue I anticipate when it comes to resale, is that it's looking a bit rough. I've dropped it on both sides moving it around in my garage. And the previos owner dropped it at a slow speed. It's had camera mounts stuck on it, various tank bags, luggage, passnegers, etc. The paint looks fine from about 10' but when you get up close, it's got some scratches and dings.

A local place has 500$ off a Street Triple R and offered me 3,000$ for my FZ-6 on a trade in. So it would be 9100 out the door for a street triple. Minus the 3k for my fizzer, I'm looking at 6100 for a Street Triple R.

Curious what you guys think of the deal.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
local place such as gengrass?? they are pretty good down there, but i think they could offer you more than 500 off. FYI they overprice alot of their stuff, you could probably ask for 1k off and they would give it to you.

i still think it would be a pretty good deal at 6100, but i am sure you can get a bit mroe off (or some accessories with it) you never said what year the bike was, but i would think 3k for something with 20k miles is pretty reasonable. good luck!

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
My friend is looking for a street triple and they are hard to find (R models) for less than $7800 - $8000 used (even a couple years old); they hold resale well. It took me a while to sell my 2008 FZ6 with about 13000 miles and I only got $4000. Considering the hassle you will save with a trade-in and the shape of your bike, it looks like a good deal overall.

Is the bike used? Is it a Triumph dealer? There is usually a $495 destination fee and some dealers charge for the first service up front. If there are no other fees, $9100 + tax is not bad, otherwise the destination fee would put you back to MSRP.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
local place such as gengrass?? they are pretty good down there, but i think they could offer you more than 500 off. FYI they overprice alot of their stuff, you could probably ask for 1k off and they would give it to you.

i still think it would be a pretty good deal at 6100, but i am sure you can get a bit mroe off (or some accessories with it) you never said what year the bike was, but i would think 3k for something with 20k miles is pretty reasonable. good luck!

This was at Libbys in New Haven and it's for a brand new 2012 R version.

I thought Gengras closed all their other branches (ducati, triumph) and just went to HD?

The 500$ off was the destination fee. Original sticker was 9599. 500$ off the "freight and prep", bringing the MSRP to 9099. 3,000$ for my FZ-6 brings me to 6099, call it 6100 plus tax and reg. fee.

Last edited:

GeneM

Reaction score
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, how much more power/performance are you gaining with the S-triple? Is this just a change for something new and different?

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I looked real hard a Street Triple R, and Monster, and bang for the buck, my FZ6 won hands down. A naked FZ6 looks jsut as good, and has far less problems and service than the euro bikes. Go to the street triple web site and look around.

The R is the only one to get, the non R is a waste of time.:rolleyes:

Euro bikes are great to look at, but the quality of a Yamaha is second to none.:rockon:

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, there is no turning back now. My dealer called me today and informed me that they drove 8 hours to pick up the STR I requested in the color I asked for. Should be riding on Tuesday.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, there is no turning back now. My dealer called me today and informed me that they drove 8 hours to pick up the STR I requested in the color I asked for. Should be riding on Tuesday.

I hate you.;)

I love the white one.:wav:

Photos asap.:needpics:

For me this is a dream bike. The color and the exhaust.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I love that green color. I wish they made the new ones in those crazy colors. I got mine in red. I would have liked to pick it up today but I'm working all day.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site

You Dirty Dog....:thumbup: I like the graphite myself, all chrome removed with black.

Last edited:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site

Looks just like my bike NorCal.

To the OP, you made a good decision. While the STR is possibly not as reliable as the FZ6 (most bikes aren't), it is still crazy reliable. I've turned over 26k miles on my 2009 and the ONLY problem I had was a bad stator in the first 5k miles.

I have the R in graphite. The brakes and suspension alone were worth the extra money. The seat is also better and the steering geometry is a little more aggressive. It's an awesome bike. Take good care of it, and it will bring you many miles of smiles on curvy roads.

To those asking about the power difference: The top end is a tiny tiny bit better, but the big difference is in the bottom and midrange where the Triumph just pulls like a freight train away from the FZ6.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks just like my bike NorCal.

To the OP, you made a good decision. While the STR is possibly not as reliable as the FZ6 (most bikes aren't), it is still crazy reliable. I've turned over 26k miles on my 2009 and the ONLY problem I had was a bad stator in the first 5k miles.

I have the R in graphite. The brakes and suspension alone were worth the extra money. The seat is also better and the steering geometry is a little more aggressive. It's an awesome bike. Take good care of it, and it will bring you many miles of smiles on curvy roads.

To those asking about the power difference: The top end is a tiny tiny bit better, but the big difference is in the bottom and midrange where the Triumph just pulls like a freight train away from the FZ6.

RSW- good to know thank you. I know the STR has the r/r issue and I will be on the lookout for it. Are you on NESR by any chance?

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
RSW- good to know thank you. I know the STR has the r/r issue and I will be on the lookout for it. Are you on NESR by any chance?

Yeah, I'm on NESR with the same user name.

The R/R issue was fixed in late 2010 models and there was a recall recently for 2008-2009 and maybe some 2010 models with the old style R/R. Mine is going in shortly to get it replaced. The shop thinks the R/R might have fried my old stator back in the day.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Today was the day fellas.

IMG_20121022_191039.jpg

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Today was the day fellas.

IMG_20121022_191039.jpg

You mother ****er! Congrats dude! Easily one if the best bikes I've ever been able to ride.you're going to love it. I'm really jealous. Nice that melanie has her own bike to ride so you can get something better for solo.

whens this going on born?