FZ6 skid plate

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
What do y'all think of my home made skid plate? I wanted one to protect the exhaust from rocks & such & couldn't find a company that made one so I did out of a scrap piece of diamond-plate aluminum. I've always liked the "adventure bike" look, so I guess I'm trying to turn my FZ6 into a "mini-Super Tenere"! My next set of tires will be Pirelli Scorpion Trail dual-sports to complete the look.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I literally just yelled out "THAT'S BADA$$!!!" my girlfriend in the other room yelled back "what?" i just said nevermind lol....

Awesome look, i love the diamond plate... you'll have to toss an awefully big (and radioactive) rock to damage that beast!

Looking forward to your FZ tenere :thumbup:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Each to his own. Not my taste, or fitting to the style of the FZ6 (dreadful off-road) IMHO. Although if it was powder-coated or sprayed block I would definitely be feeling more love towards it! :thumbup:

But you've fixed it on very ingeniously. Mind putting up pics of the mounts?

Darth Fazer

Reaction score
Visit site
I had thought of painting it black or even coating it with truck bedliner, but I figured the paint would flake & found out how much it's cost to first "etch" the aluminum prior to paint/coating & left it alone. The silver kind of matches the radiator side covers & heel guards. To mount, I fabricated a "U" shaped (with a flattened bottom) piece of galvanized steel that bolts to the centerstand mounts & is riveted to the diamondplate. On the front, I took another piece of "U"-shaped galvanized steel, attached it to my Givi crash bar using U-clamps & bolted it to the diamondplate. Obviously, I had to put a twist in the steel bracket to get the angles right. Every attachment point is insulated w/ rubber washers to cut down on vibes. I'll try to post more pics later today.

Reed

Southern Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good, and the quality looks great. I am sure you will have people asking you where you bought it from. I want to see pics of how it looks on the bike as a whole now! :thumbup:

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I love it - Nice work. I've been thinking about this for mine for some time. Thanks for the idea!

:rockon:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you are taking it off road, doing a dual sport conversion that is pretty neat.

if you are just using it on the street, then yamaha and a few others do make a lower piece to cover that area, add a fender extender for $30 and you are well protected unless your taking it off road. here is what it looks like:

park100123.jpg

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure what to think about this! I love how bikes bring out the modding instinct lol

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
good idea if you're going on a lot of trails....then it's very functional.
i think the rider, Caladin, would like this for his bike....
a plastic belly pan won't be as protective.
i did a lot of gravel on my f800gs. you can see all the small white marks that were made into the aluminum bash plate.
without it i would've messed up my oil filter and oil cooler....

IMG_3067.JPG

Last edited:

Darth Fazer

Reaction score
Visit site
I wished that someone made one like that for the FZ6, but they don't, hence my homemade one. The fit & finish may not be up to commercial standards, but it does it's job! I've already heard 2 large-sounding rocks hit it on a trip to Birmingham last week-end for Barber's Vintage Festival!

Wingysataday

Reaction score
Visit site
Hate to resurrect an old thread but I am very interested in building or having a skid plate built. Anyone else do something like this? Europe?