What do you think, new bike?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
So it looks like the chances are getting better and better that I might be coming into a little bit of money, not a ridiculous amount but enough to cover my medical bills from when my lung collapsed, some other priorities as well as having enough left over over to get just about what ever bike I want new or used. Now I've wanted a FZ1 for quite a while now but to be completely honest I think a lot of that was due to the fact that you can get a used one fairly cheep and it offers IMO the most bang for your buck out of any litre bike out there. When I say bang for your buck I mean obviously power, comfort, and pretty much the entire package. I've also kicked around the idea of getting 2 bikes, since I sold the klr I'm missing having a dual sport/enduro type bike. Most of y'all know I ride damn near every day rain or shine so reliability and ease of maintenance is also high up on my priorities in a bike. Also if things come through I plan on keeping my fz6 and turning it into a "rat rod" type street fighter, or a "rat rod" stunt bike

So this is kind of what I'm thinking right now, either get a "big" dual sport and nothing else, or get a sport touring/standard bike 1000cc and up and also a small dual sport/enduro.

As far as big dual sports go this is what I'm looking at, the super Tenere, the ktm 990 adventure, ktm 990 smt, tiger 800xc or the big tiger. Possibly a BMW but I don't like the idea of expensive parts, although I know they are very reliable. I really like the ktm 990 smt because it has a supermoto side as well as a touring side so it could be a great all around choice.

As far as the sport touring bikes go, right now there is only 2 that I'm really considering, of course the FZ1, but also the ninja 1000. I say these because if I'm going to have 2 bikes I'd like the "sportier" bike to be just that. But I might also consider the fjr1300 or the concourse 14. If I go the 2 bike route then the dual sport bike I would want would be on the smaller side like another klr. But as much as I liked the klr I think I might want something a little lighter and more off road oriented. Like maybe a ktm exc, a ktm lc4, a husky 610 or something along those lines.

So what do y'all think, any other bikes out there that y'all think might interest me in what I'm looking for? Also keep in mind that nothing is set in stone but the chances are getting better and better.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I've heard, the FJR1300 is more "sport" than it is touring... but that was just from one review (I think by MotorCycleNews)

If you're looking at getting two bikes (sport touring, and dual sport), I'd personally go with an FZ1 and an enduro (KLR?)... Just my $.02

Or just get a KTM RC8R... Kidding! :)

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
since you miss your klr and so dirt riding, i go with the two bike option, if you do not tour a lot two up, then there is no need for the fjr, the fz1 or ninja will do it for me, i d get the fz1 over the ninja because it s cheaper to get 2nd hand (like you stated), so you would have a bit more dosh for the adventure bike maybe? the ninja may look nicer (to my eyes anyway) but power and performance as such are on par.

i think parts are getting more expensive no matter what brand of bike you have, (a case in point - the exhaust shroud for the fz6 - more than 200 usd new! that is ridiculous). i dont know prices for bmw parts but even the japanese are not as cheap as they used to be, let s not mention electronic parts!

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Look like you need more then 2 bikes? LOL Personally as much as I like the Yamaha product, I'm not digging the FJR. Nice bike but 5 speeds and it's huge! FZ1 is a better looking and all around bike with more juice you can ever need! Plenty of aftermarkets widgets out there to make it a nice touring ride if you need to.

I never been a fan of Kawi but they do have nice ride. The C14 is very nice... better looking than the FJR.

My best recommendation to keep the FZ6 to rip the twisty and get the Super Tenere for Touring and light off road.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
since you miss your klr and so dirt riding, i go with the two bike option, if you do not tour a lot two up, then there is no need for the fjr, the fz1 or ninja will do

+1!! I DO want FJR, but only because I do ride 2-up and I know my wife would be way more comfortable on the back of FJR (more leg room and not sitting quite as high up). I'd also prefer FJR if I did long highway rides (mainly for the electronic windscreen). If I never rode 2-up, there's no way I'd trade my FZ1 for FJR. FJR is approximately 180 pounds heavier .. I'm sure it handles very well, but there's no way it can be as nimble as FZ1 in the twisties (mind you FZ1 is not as nimble as FZ6 in the twisties.. based on my experience with these 2 bikes).

For dirt, I'd want the lightest option so I could really have fun. I wouldn't want an adventure bike as my only 2-wheeled vehicle.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
It may be time to put down the tuning forks and go elsewhere. From my (admittedly limited) experience of both the 2012 FJR and 2012 Kawasaki C14 I would go with the Kawa. If money was no object then I'd buy a K1600GT, but for K1600GT money you could buy a C14 and a good dual sport.

I think the changes made to the 2013 FJR help it catch up to the Kawa, but don't put it in front :(

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any of the larger bikes, sport or sport touring, you'll be going thru tires a whole lot faster than the FZ6...

Being a Yamaha guy, owning an 04 FJR for 7 years, the new 2013 FJR is the talk on the FJR forums (and yes I am biased).. Cruise control a big one, new dash, a fair amount of updates.

BTW, IMHO, the FJR doesn't need 6 speeds, its got plenty of torque to get to 145MPH, two up, pretty damn quick (don't ask).. Like the FZ6, the FJR is much easier to work on than the Concours (getting under the tank, no front brake issues, etc). The bike looks good with the bags off and handles considerably better in the twisties with the bags off...

IMHO, the BMW's are definitly NOT RIDER maintainance friendly but do make a good machine...

My 2004 without bags..

Last edited:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive heard nothing but praise about the Tenere. I feel like its the best big dual sport right now and its pretty quick too. to me the SMT is too heavy to be a Supermoto, since the fun of a SM is that its light and you can slide it around. I do like the FZ1 but it has too long of a wheelbase IMHO, stable but less responsive.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had both a 08 FZ1 and 04 FJR so here's my take. If you only plan to ride locally within 500 miles from home I'd go with the FZ1 for some fun however if you are looking for a bit more travel then the FJR is the way to go. Shaft drive, smooth power all the way up the band. Handles better than you think for a 650# bike plus the weather protection is good for long distance. Watch the gen ll as they have had a grounding issue. Gen l can be a bit hot in warm weather but there are some fixes - plenty of information on the FJRForum.
I really enjoyed the 90k I put on mine and it still pulled like a rocket ship until the deer took us out.
Good deals to be had on used FJR's so you will save enough $$ to buy a dual sport too.

Forget those butt ugly Kawi's and stick with the tuning forks :)

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Consider Honda VFR 800 or the new 1200 if you wanna go two up.

I have the 08 Kawi Concours. It's a fantastic bike for long distance touring. Super stable. LOADS of power. Super comfortable. Electric windshield.

For short trips its not worth it in my opinion.

City riding? Forget about it.

In my opinion Honda VFR 800 is a really good alternative, because it's not that heavy. You can even try riding it in the city without the sidebags. 800 might not be that great for two up riding though. So you could get the 1200 version.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Watch the gen ll as they have had a grounding issue. Forget those butt ugly Kawi's and stick with the tuning forks :)

They have a re-call for the Gen II "spider ground" issue where Yamaha replaces the main harness. Per the FJR forum I frequent, the problem was for the 06-09 models, the 2010 models so far are ok...

And yes, especially with bags off, the Kawasaki isn't nearly as purty as the FJR, sits a bit taller and the early models had some heat issues similar to the Gen I FJR's. I had to put a "heat prevention kit" on an early Concours which Kawasaki eventually made standard (heat on the legs)(insulation designed to fit the contours between the engine and lower fairing).

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I think any decision you make heavily depends on whether or not you're keeping the 6. Rat rod or not, this will fill a certain gap, and you don't want to waste money on overlap.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, as for the fz6, if this happens I will be keeping it. As it sits right now its not worth it to me to sell it, I couldn't get much money for it with the miles and everything else so it will be sticking around.

But what about some of the other bikes I mentioned like the triumphs and the ktms, anybody have any 1st hand experience with them? Or any other bike that might be slipping my mind.

Also as much as I like the vfr800 it wouldn't be on my list. If it were to be a replacement of the fz6, then yes and I hate the way the new ones look.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, as for the fz6, if this happens I will be keeping it. As it sits right now its not worth it to me to sell it, I couldn't get much money for it with the miles and everything else so it will be sticking around.

But what about some of the other bikes I mentioned like the triumphs and the ktms, anybody have any 1st hand experience with them? Or any other bike that might be slipping my mind.

Also as much as I like the vfr800 it wouldn't be on my list. If it were to be a replacement of the fz6, then yes and I hate the way the new ones look.

only KTMs ive had experience with are the MX machines and theyre SWEET. I really like the 990ADV but it is a very large bike when you actually see one in person. and from what i know, Triumphs are pretty dang reliable (the new ones) and i am a huge fan of the Tiger 800XC. IMO an 800 is the perfect sized dual sport, and i think that the Tiger is better than the F800GS (Best bike BMW makes) and its cheaper. the problem with Triumph though is the dealer availability, Davidson's Law "When it breaks, we'll have a shop just down the street." :spank:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_2864.jpg

KTM..I love my KTM Supermoto T

This is my mid life crisis. If you are on a budget you can't beat UJM for saving money however if you want to date a Austrian super model then go for it. I must say this bike is just plain fun to ride in the twisty's plus with the Akara pipes the v twin 990 just sings. However everything will cost more just like BMW or cough, cough, Harley Ableson

Isn't bike shopping fun?

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I'm really loving the 990 smt, I know it's not going to be as nimble as a regular sumo but its got to be more fun in the twisties than say a Tenere or tiger. It kind of reminds me of the buell Ulysses, which is another bike that I used to lust over, but I talked to a guy who used to have one and he kind of talked me out of it. He said he loved the bike, it was a blast to ride on road and off but he said its a "quirky" bike as in there was always a little something a matter with it, mainly electronics wise.

Now I know they advertise the ktm as the super moto for the long haul but in reality how does it Really ride, as in comfort. Now I'm not looking for goldwing comfort but would like something at least as good as the fz6.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha. I just bought a Gold Wing to replace my totaled FJR, she is a comfortable machine.

The KTM is actually more comfortable than both the FZ6 and FZ1 as you sit taller in the seat however I did ride it 800 miles in 2 days and my butt was still vibrating from that v twin a day later. I have put 7,500 miles on it since spring, it does like to drink oil and eat tires (I have a right wrist problem).