• Double bubble of sorts

Votes: 239 65.3%
  • Chopped original

Votes: 32 8.7%

• Total voters

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

Dodger, I've used a fine toothed hacksaw to trim plastic windscreens. The material tends to melt as you cut it, so it gets sticky. It can stick to the saw blade, or to the windscreen you just cut it off of. Laying a line of masking tape along where you want to cut, and cutting through that, will keep the stuff from sticking ot the screen.

Best to go slow, and try not to be too violent. Smooth and steady will reduce the damage. A file used on the cut edge will smooth out any tooth marks, etc.

markustyson

Reaction score
Visit site
Got my double bubble screen today looks nice on the bike but still looks slightly taller than the stock. Notice some of you have cut the screen back, what is the best way to do this without doing any damage to the screen. :confused:

Cheers Phil.

I used a dremel and went quite slow with it. Then went to the auto store to pickup some door edging to finish it off. I think I have a pic lying around somewhere on this computer....

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since I see this type of thread every so often, I was going write about "my" experience with different screens on a new thread so if anybody is looking for similar experience, they can hopefully read an independent review so they don't spend as much as I did on different screens ;) , but since this one is here, I'll add my $.02 to it. I am probably one of the record holders for trying out different screen types that are popular among FZ6 group. As someone pointed out earlier, it is "very personal" and depends on what you are interested in accomplishing with a screen. Also, I would like to add that early model FZ6 (pre-2007) aerodynamics are actually different than later models, so this does not apply to early model FZ6s. My writing is based on the late model FZ6 and my preference is getting the wind of my torso (and arms as much as possible) area and have a relatively quiet ride. So the review is based on that preference. I am 5' 8" with more upright riding style (as much as FZ1 bar lets you).

Yamaha Stock screen: You basically get no wind production whatsoever unless you are leaning on the tank. Only plus side is because your body is taking on the much of the wind, it is actually quieter around your head, so, not much of helmet noise (or some call wind buffeting).

Yamaha touring screen: Not much better than the stock screen. Little more protection to your torso, but not enough to make much difference. Plus side: Still relatively quiet on the head area because wind hits you right around middle of your body.

Calsci screen 9.5": It is very good at getting the wind of your body (and for the large part your arms). It is much bigger, more flat, and has a very steep angle towards the back. 9.5 is the medium size for them, but, I think 11" would be too much on your way judging from the angle of the screen (at least for me). The problem with this one is; the wind now hits me right on top of my helmet which translates into serious helmet noise.

Cee Bailey's 24": Cee Bailey is still big (this is the largest size they have), but not as flat as Calsci (it has more bubble to it) and also it is more upright with clear curl up on top of the screen that is meant to push the air little higher. As it has been mentioned on other threads, Calsci 9.5 and Cee Bailey 24" are very similar in size. And this translates into very good body protection, but, not so good arm protection. With Cee Bailey, I have noticed wind blast on my arms little more. But, with the curl on top, is it quieter? Unfortunately, no, it is not. I know some on this forum has said there is no buffeting with Cee Bailey, but, having own both screens, there is most definitely is because wind still hits top of my helmet. The difference I have noticed is buffeting starts up little later, but not enough to make much of a difference on highway speeds, because you quickly pass that threshold. Also, I have noticed that, it is causing more vibrations to the fairing when highways speeds go up. I am guessing this is due to its shape on the top. It is, however, much nicer looking screen than Calsci.

So, I still haven't found my "perfect" screen, but, I wanted write about "my" experience about the screens I have tried so far. So, if you have similar likes/dislikes, hopefully, this will be helpful to you when you are looking for a screen.

I am still torn between the Calsci and Cee Bailey and have not decided which one I am going to keep in the long run. I have Cee Bailey on my bike at the moment.

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
(some stuff snipped)
Cee Bailey's 24": Cee Bailey is still big (this is the largest size they have), but not as flat as Calsci (it has more bubble to it) and also it is more upright with clear curl up on top of the screen that is meant to push the air little higher. As it has been mentioned on other threads, Calsci 9.5 and Cee Bailey 24" are very similar in size. And this translates into very good body protection, but, not so good arm protection. With Cee Bailey, I have noticed wind blast on my arms little more. But, with the curl on top, is it quieter? Unfortunately, no, it is not. I know some on this forum has said there is no buffeting with Cee Bailey, but, having own both screens, there is most definitely is because wind still hits top of my helmet. The difference I have noticed is buffeting starts up little later, but not enough to make much of a difference on highway speeds, because you quickly pass that threshold. Also, I have noticed that, it is causing more vibrations to the fairing when highways speeds go up. I am guessing this is due to its shape on the top. It is, however, much nicer looking screen than Calsci.

So, I still haven't found my "perfect" screen, but, I wanted write about "my" experience about the screens I have tried so far. So, if you have similar likes/dislikes, hopefully, this will be helpful to you when you are looking for a screen.

I am still torn between the Calsci and Cee Bailey and have not decided which one I am going to keep in the long run. I have Cee Bailey on my bike at the moment.

Not to mention how the Calsci ships - horrendous...part of the screen was sticking out of the shipping carton, bubble wrapped, yes, but...it didn't fit correctly on the bike, so I shipped it back in a better box - fully enclosed (LOL) and bought the Cee Bailey. It is much better quality, IMHO/experience, including packaging - screen was wrapped with foam and bubble and FULLY inside the shipping carton). Except for the wind rush noise on the helmet, the protection it provides is TOO good (IMHO) so I use it for the cooler spring and fall periods and swap back to the stock screen during the summer.

WRT noise from wind rush over the helmet - I'm thinking of coming up with a type of adhesive helmet "deflector" (would sit just above the visor) and see if that helps reduce the wind rush noise on the helmet; a (smaller) helmet version of the curl you mentioned on the Cee Bailey screen....hmmmmmm

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I've become quite a fan of the Buell windscreen that I installed for the switch from FZ6S to FZ6N. With the stock screen, I was getting a lot of buffeting around the helmet. With the fairing off, and the Buell windscreen on, all the wind goes straight to the chest, and makes it much easier to deal with.

Jeff Douglass

Reaction score
Visit site
I am currently riding my stock 2009 FZ6 with the Cee Bailey 24" windshield. I first purchased the Cee Bailey medium size, which I think is 22" and recommended by Cee Bailey for my height of 5'7". Soon as I mounted the 22", I knew it was too short. Air turbulance and wind noise around the helmet was way too high. So I then purchased a second Cee Bailey, the 24". This works pretty good. Sight line is just about perfect over the top, and wind noise around the helmet is tolerable without earplugs, although I normally ride with earplugs. There is some low frequency buffeting in the 20-35 mph range, but quite tolerable. At any legal speed, vibration of the windshield and fairing is minimal. The only issue I have found with this setup is that under evening heavy dew conditions, I have to crack open the faceshield to clear fogging because there is too little air flow through the helmet vents. Eventually, the helmet warms up by body heat and I can seal the face shield. With ownership of two Cee Bailey products, the quality is superb, the fit perfect, and the packaging of both were faultless. With Givi side bags, the overall appearance of my FZ6 with the 24" Cee Bailey is really very nice and looks right.

jeffanitam

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the Yamaha touring screen & the helmet noise was worse than the stock screen. Bought the tallest Calsci screen, not perfect but as good as it's going to get. I called Calsci after I received the screen and told whom ever answered that I was under the impression that I would be able to look through the screen.
What I didn't like was the sarcasam when he said we seldom get what we
want. I was polite and thanked him but it was a pretty crappy way to speak to a customer. Enough said!

penty2008

Reaction score
Visit site
does anyone know if you can buy a dark tint, double bubble or irradium screen for 05 model? i have searched all over and cant seem to find one anywhere

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just waiting for the delivery of my MRA Vario Touring-Screen from Twisted-Throttle :BLAA:

I'm rather a kind of a "tourer", though I like to "play" sometimes too...
I did love the Puig Touring screen design, but I finally choose this one because 1) many here are happy with it and 2) here in Thailand the weather is hot all year long (and very, very hot right now: 100°F and up at day!), so in and around city, I was a bit afraid a tall screen doesn't fit my comfort ride when just commuting in traffic: some air on head and torso is very "useful" in that moments. I guess I will be able to adjust the MRA Vario depending of my ride... But don't know yet! :rolleyes:

I shall post a review when tested.

Cheers

Last edited:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
does anyone know if you can buy a dark tint, double bubble or irradium screen for 05 model? i have searched all over and cant seem to find one anywhere

You can easily tint your own screen by painting it with a plastic compatible paint that is a 'smoke' or 'candy' color. I just cut my 05 screen down about 3.75 inches and I'm considering painting it. haven't decided on a color.
attachment.php

Here is one of many products that you could use for tinting.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP999-Nite-Shades-Cover-Translucent/dp/B000CPCRS6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1282597762&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: VHT SP999 Nite-Shades Lens Cover Tint Translucent…[/ame]

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
You can easily tint your own screen by painting it with a plastic compatible paint that is a 'smoke' or 'candy' color. I just cut my 05 screen down about 3.75 inches and I'm considering painting it. haven't decided on a color.
attachment.php

Here is one of many products that you could use for tinting.

Amazon.com: VHT SP999 Nite-Shades Lens Cover Tint Translucent…

Well I did cut my screen AND painted it with that very paint!

Some advice after mine has been completed, make sure the plastic is absolutely clean of everything including wax and grease. The first coat I applied cracked and ruined most of the screen with horrible cracks I couldn't manage to remove after a lot of sanding. Also dont put more than 3-4 coats at about 10" distance. I planned to put more and sand it down to my liking but it was too difficult to keep it even so I just blacked it out and left it.:tard:

vkray

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok peeps I have been through three windschields and the best for me by far is the Cal Sci tall with the lip that curves up dark smoke, no noise, no wind, sweet.
I have a Givi clear screen im looking to sell 2007 FZ6 & a Cal Sci Clear and a stocker for sale!:BLAA::welcome::thumbup::rockon:

wx4p

Reaction score
Visit site
Another vote for the CalSci +9.5" screen, and props to vkray who sold me his extra :thumbup:

I'm about 6'1" with 31" inseam; the +9.5" screen is a huge improvement over stock. More helmet noise with my helmet, but wind buffeting is virtually eliminated.

Sparkybean

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the airblade screen. It was on eBay.uk for about £34. You could choose from clear, light smoke, dark smoke and iridium. I like it far more than stock, both to look at and for function. It is similar to the puig. I think I just prefer the puig for looks but it is nearly 3 times the price.

View attachment 33612