fz6 s1 factory (throttle) restriction help

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
funnythis post has been bumped as ive my bike stripped right now i just popped on to find out where the spark plugs are lol as i need to tighten them , ive took photos of the throttle bodies and they DONT fully open ( the brass things) cant stop as my bikes in the underground car park with bits of it everywhere but ill add photos later right now ive to search here on how to tighten spark plugs duhhhhh

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
funnythis post has been bumped as ive my bike stripped right now i just popped on to find out where the spark plugs are lol as i need to tighten them , ive took photos of the throttle bodies and they DONT fully open ( the brass things) cant stop as my bikes in the underground car park with bits of it everywhere but ill add photos later right now ive to search here on how to tighten spark plugs duhhhhh

On my 07, I just loosened the radiator and was able to reach in to R & R them(Don't drain). Took maybe 20 minutes, and I was able to get an inch torque wrench in there too...

You shouldn't have to go thru the top unless youe looking for alot of extra work to do..

Be carefull removing the caps, DON'T PULL ON THE PLUG WIRES. Some dilectric grease on the boot.end helps with the re-installation...

BTW, the "Brass things" are the throttle butterfly's.

Last edited:

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site

What is the milage on your current plugs?
You will have great fun changing the spark plugs wheneer you get around to it.
Biggest pain in the ass ever! ha
Drop the radiator, will make it a whole lot easier :thumbup:

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
ah i already had it stripped as i do stuff before i think hahahaha but i left the radiator on and could still do it - none of the spark plugs were lose so i dont know why i have stuff coming outta the weep hole -which is why i was going near that in the 1st place wasnt anything to do with milage or changing them just wanted to tighten them - anyway back to this thread heres photos of "them brass things" opened and closed the didnt open fully when the throttle was back fully id say if closed was zero degrees and fully open is 90degrees they opened about 70degrees difficult to see in the photos as its with my phone but they defo didnt open the full 90degrees as for the plate well its defo longer than the normal plate so if i cut some off that would probably get more power but im just going to leave it as it im happy enought with the power i have now anyway :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ah i already had it stripped as i do stuff before i think hahahaha but i left the radiator on and could still do it - none of the spark plugs were lose so i dont know why i have stuff coming outta the weep hole -which is why i was going near that in the 1st place wasnt anything to do with milage or changing them just wanted to tighten them - anyway back to this thread heres photos of "them brass things" opened and closed the didnt open fully when the throttle was back fully id say if closed was zero degrees and fully open is 90degrees they opened about 70degrees difficult to see in the photos as its with my phone but they defo didnt open the full 90degrees as for the plate well its defo longer than the normal plate so if i cut some off that would probably get more power but im just going to leave it as it im happy enought with the power i have now anyway :)

That weep hole on the left side of the clyinder is to allow any moisture that gets past the spark plug caps to drain out from the head. If you put a little bit of dilectric grease on the outer rubber spark plug boots (where it touches the valve cover), it'll help seal it up..

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 04 FZ6 S1. While working on my throttle bodies I've noticed this...

restrictor.jpg

Is my bike restricted? I can see a similar pin on the TB where the cable connects in Yama's catalog, but can't make out if it's the same. [1]

If it's indeed a factory restriction, why would my docs say 72 KW. My TPS test shows full range till 102, would a restricted throttle get to this? Maybe it's just a pin to prevent breaking of the throttle cable?

And when I rode it my hands were shaking due to adrenaline excess....

1. http://www.imagessite.com/OEM_Images/Yamaha_mc_images/Y04FZ600SSC10.gif

EDIT:

Just some thoughts. If TPS is calibrated to run through full range and 04-06 bikes don't have a MAF sensor, with this restriction butterfly valves won't open 90°, but injectors, when ultimately fed information from TPS will work at full capacity... that makes the bike run rich though (bad air/fuel ratio), am I missing something or is this a really stupid way to restrict it?

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

restrictor.jpg

Is my bike restricted? I can see a similar pin on the TB where the cable connects in Yama's catalog, but can't make out if it's the same. [1]

If it's indeed a factory restriction, why would my docs say 72 KW. My TPS test shows full range till 102, would a restricted throttle get to this? Maybe it's just a pin to prevent breaking of the throttle cable?

EDIT:

Just some thoughts. If TPS is calibrated to run through full range and 04-06 bikes don't have a MAF sensor, with this restriction butterfly valves won't open 90°, but injectors, when ultimately fed information from TPS will work at full capacity... that makes the bike run rich though (bad air/fuel ratio), am I missing something or is this a really stupid way to restrict it?

Look at the pictures in post #1 (restricted) and post #6 in THIS THREAD (my bike, un-restricted). Yours is un-restricted...

Last edited:

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site

restrictor.jpg

EDIT:

defo not restricted :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought you sussed out a while ago that the restriction was just on the throttle stop?

Neil

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Connecting related threads on EU power restriction... (2015-01) link --> 78 hp vs 98?

PASTE some content and pic's.. .. ..

There are several threads on this topic.

To the best of my knowledge the only difference is the throttle stop restricting the maximum volume of air the engine can ingest.

Its easily corrected. However, i don't live there and don't know that they DIDN'T do other things!
If possible this could be settled by looking at the PN on the OEM ECU! If the ecu has the same part number as all the other FZ's out there, its a simple fix. Replace the throttle stop and let it breath.

Sample of US bike with NO restriction.
OpenITup2_zps6u3e752f.gif

Position of Throttle Stop at idle:
picture.php

At WOT - blades must rotate ~ 90° from idle position!!!
picture.php

A restricted throttle stop would have that downleg below the two screws EXTENDED so as to PREVENT about 30% of the travel which open the throttle blades allowing air into the engine. Some bend it, some saw it, some replace it.

If you lift the fuel tank, the ECU is right there (Bulk of wires into one device). Read the PN from it and report back!
picture.php

[MENTION=26521]elitazzy[/MENTION]

This doesn't show the second step on the throttle shaft, but it still gives a good idea of what to look for.
attachment.php

And From the Creator!!! Lots of detail in here...
Yamaha Sport Touring Yamaha Design Cafe English: S2: Evolution of the FZ6 series - Page 2

Thread on S1 vs S2.... http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/37562-differences-between-fz6-fz6s-fz6s2.html