FZ6-S 2005 CYLINDER HEAD ASSY replacement

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO, maybe have them replace the valve seals, give it a check over (magnaflux, check for leakage, (( sit upside down with say Seafoam in the combustion chamber, let it sit overnight and make sure none leaks out)) and YOU install it.

You were't at fault for dropping a valve and know how to R&R it.

Easily save $500 in labor and you know its done right, not a newbee "wrench" potentially working on it.

Just my 2 cts!

Please keep us posted

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ You cant magnaflux an aluminum head. That process only works on pherous materials.

Like I said early; short of a valve physically breaking; two primary failures lead to valves being dropped.
1) spring failure, i.e. no tension applied to valve spring retainer and the keepers drop off and the valve drops or;
2) too much valve lash clearance. Same thing happen as the result is knocking the keepers off and the valve drops. More often than not this these both happen at higher RPMs.

Whoever does the work; make sure they measure the valve clearance properly. And in the case of mixing cams to different heads (i.e. neither are paired having worn in together), clearances can open up. So listen for changes like a new sound of Tap Tap Tap...

Did the shop install the last head? How long did it run before failure?

FWIW; if the used part has been "unused" for years; at the very least pulling it apart to lube the guides and seals could be the difference between living and dying.

Z3R0_zhift

Reaction score
Visit site
This sounds interesting. In experience, it may sound like the bore of one of the cylinder heads had worn out or the valves are out of placed. Pray tell that it's not. :(

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

You're saying its the hair line at the junction where the frame boss and exhaust stud boss meet 2nd picture?

Not seeing the whole thing, but it looks like the valve cover gasket is leaking a good bit too. Did you clean the crack area before taking the picture? And you can see oil come from this "crack" and not over the top? FWIW: internally the oil is pressure fed on the chain side of the engine and then it goes into the cams which are hollow. So the leak is from drain back and is not under pressure. I'd have cylinder head welder look at it. They fix aluminum heads on a routine basis.

yanik

Reaction score
Visit site
You're saying its the hair line at the junction where the frame boss and exhaust stud boss meet 2nd picture?

Not seeing the whole thing, but it looks like the valve cover gasket is leaking a good bit too. Did you clean the crack area before taking the picture? And you can see oil come from this "crack" and not over the top? FWIW: internally the oil is pressure fed on the chain side of the engine and then it goes into the cams which are hollow. So the leak is from drain back and is not under pressure. I'd have cylinder head welder look at it. They fix aluminum heads on a routine basis.

Yes, this is the hair line that you see,
The valve cover gasket is not leaking, i`m riding like this for a while and i`m pretty sure that the reason for the leakage is that crack, additionally it is got longer in the recent time

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing I see is in the last picture of the outside EXHAUST PORT. Some black goo coming out (where the gasket would be).

You might want to ask about that and I didn't see any pictures of the combustion chamber itself side of the head (that'd tell alot)

I don't know what liquid/ goo that is but other wise, it appears pretty good to me. LOTs of spare parts too..

That shipping price is likely in the US only.
The weight to ship to you, is going to be a small fortune, if they even ship out of the country..

Last edited:

yanik

Reaction score
Visit site
The international shipping will cost me 80$ (over sea), i have just noticed the local shipping price, all together is a little bit pricey....

I think i will go with the first choice because it will be approximately same price or cheaper and less shipping time.

Thanks,

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Found on the ocean floor?

Sure looks like it with all that corrosion. Looks like around two of the exhaust ports, the aluminum is gone.

You'd figure the cylinder burning oil badly might have protected it..

I wouldn't take that heard for free...

For the OP, all you need is the head and cam's, ask the FIRST guy, how much without all the other stuff.

Save some $ on parts and less weight to ship, so shipping would be a little cheaper...