FZ6 Rearset Set Back Plates For Sale

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, okay, okay :rolleyes: I am now walking, as I write (not really) to go install my set back plates. I'll let you know how it goes and I'll take a few photos to boot! :thumbup:
Hi Pete,
Please can you concentrate more on the linkage install. The plates are pretty self explanatory. Sorry to be a PITA.

Can't wait for the how to.

Nelly

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Updated first page with exciting new install instructions from Hellgate, mattcosta7, afrpreppie. 6 sets of Black left. Trying to get a set of silver ordered up.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Didnt read all of the posts. How thick are they? Is it just cnc machined alluminum? Lighter than stock?

Sorry for the questions. Just curious.:thumbup:

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Didnt read all of the posts. How thick are they? Is it just cnc machined alluminum? Lighter than stock?

Sorry for the questions. Just curious.:thumbup:

About 3/8" thick. They are machined 6061 aluminum. They're not a replacement for stock. They relocate stock parts so they add about 15 ounces in weight to the bike total. BTW, the machine shop where I had these made also makes titanium parts for NASA/JPL Mars Rovers and Mars Science Laboratory.

Last edited:

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Only 3 more black sets left. Sold out of silver. I'm in the process of trying to order another run.

I finally got my quote and they're doubling the cost to me. :/ Consequently, I'm jacking up my prices. I'm guessing it's the result of a weak US dollar and more expensive imported materials.

Prices for the new sets are going to be $85 shipped in the US, $95 shipped internationally, either black or silver. I haven't confirmed my order yet so no ETA (especially those of you waiting on silver) but I'll probably be putting in my order soon. And please!!!...if you're considering buying a set, do it! And let me know! I'm gonna be footing a fat 4 digit bill. I'll knock off $5 each set if you buy 2-5 sets, $10 if buy 6+ sets.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm nearly sold out. I have one black set at the fabrication shop being used for comparison for the second run (if I go through with buying it). I'm in negotiations with two other guys for another set, which will be my last set at $60 shipped US 48/$70 shipped international. Money is a bit tight for me after the holidays. At this point, I can't afford to be fronting the money for a second run as much I'd like to so that you guys can get the riding position you guys want. If I could get 3 or 4 of you guys to confirm & pay, that would be enough interest for me to get the second run made. I've had twice as many people tell me they're interested but don't have the funds today, so I would hope that wouldn't be a problem to get that many people to pay. Once you pay $85 shipped, you should see them within two to three weeks (depending most on the fabrication shop's production schedule). Otherwise, that second run will have to wait for a while until I can save up some cash.

Last edited:

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
I am sold out!

Thanks all. I hope you guys are enjoying your sets. For everybody who has shown interest at one time or another, I'm not having another run made at the this time. I don't have the cash to front at this time. I do have one set I'll be keeping as a template in case I do have the cash at some time in the future.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Well...through some misunderstanding...I am now COMPLETELY BROKE but I do have 10 sets of set back plates (3 silver & 7 black). Apparently, the fabrication shop turned my request for a quote into an order request. So, hopefully those of you that showed interest before can now buy some sets. $85 shipped in the US lower 48 and $90 shipped internationally.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't find the hardware any-ware, i went to Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, the all don't have the (4) 5/8X 1 1/2 bolts, (10)washers and the lock nuts (4), can anyone help??

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't find the hardware any-ware, i went to Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, the all don't have the (4) 5/8X 1 1/2 bolts, (10)washers and the lock nuts (4), can anyone help??

You can also use:
oso2k said:
You'll need the following hardware to mount them:
4 qty 8mm x 25mm x 1.25 pitch bolts (or the OEM rearset bolts maybe minus the washers, dunno; these mount at the frame),
4 qty 8mm x 30mm x 1.25 pitch bolts for the rearset mounting to the set back plates, and
4 qty 8mm nuts & washers for the back side of the set back plate.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
THIS IS A MUST DO MOD so i did the set back plate mod today and the brake side went well, the shifter side was a little tricky for me cause i have no vice-grips and no table vice either. So i tried it another way. Please don't yell at me the way i did it. I installed everything and it went smooth, until it came down to the bending of the shift rod. So i sat there on my floor and stared at it trying to figure a way to do it, and then an idea popped in my head. I marked the frame where the rod would have to travel in, so i took out the handy dandy DREMEL (you can yell at me now), and started to cut the frame little by little and bored it out, i took my time and went slow constantly checking the depth and the rod movement. I connected the rod and put everything in place to see what final changes i had to do. The cuts were perfect, so i brought out the sanding wheel and made it smooth to make it look clean and have enough room for the travel of the rod. It worked out good. I flipped the top rod clamp and made sure both ends had enough thread and everything was tight and secure. Took it out for a ride and had some tweaking to do for the shifter and for the brake, ounce that was done it was complete. It feels weired the new riding position, but it feels more......complete, like the bike is more of a aggressive body position. This is one of the "MUST DO MOD'S", for all the people who made this mod, MY HAT GOES OF TO YOU :rockon::rockon: .

Last edited:

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yes, i don't have a vice, and flipped the shifter and added a few washers and there was maybe a 1/8 that ad to be shaved, so i used the dremel and bored it out a little and then polished it up and it look clean and shifts fine. Do you think i shouln't have done it that way...... i hope i didn't screw up.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone please help me! I did the plates and they work great, the problem i have is adjusting the shift-rod for my foot height. I try to lower the shifter (because i have to lift my foot up about 2" to the shifter) but if i go to far then i have a problem with the shifter returning to place. I tried taking off the top rod housing (that 1 bolt) and i just wont work on the return.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone please help me! I did the plates and they work great, the problem i have is adjusting the shift-rod for my foot height. I try to lower the shifter (because i have to lift my foot up about 2" to the shifter) but if i go to far then i have a problem with the shifter returning to place. I tried taking off the top rod housing (that 1 bolt) and i just wont work on the return.

There's a little pin dot coming out of the engine shift rod where the shift peg rod attaches to it with a clamp. Loosen the clamp, and rotate the clamp until you get a position you like and that shift the engine when you pull the clutch in. I have mine set such that the the point where the clamp closes is about 3 notches counter clockwise of the pin mark on the engine shift rod.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I know most people are going to think I'm crazy here - but can these be flipped somehow to move the rearsets further forward instead of back? This will make it a little more cruiser-seating position. I don't want a sports-bike. If I wanted a sports-bike I would have bought the R6. The FZ6 is still a little too uncomfy for me and I thought this might help.

Please don't automatically flame me for this! I know it will be less fun in the corners etc - but it's a reversable mod and I'd like to know if I can do this...

Thanks

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
I know most people are going to think I'm crazy here - but can these be flipped somehow to move the rearsets further forward instead of back? This will make it a little more cruiser-seating position. I don't want a sports-bike. If I wanted a sports-bike I would have bought the R6. The FZ6 is still a little too uncomfy for me and I thought this might help.

Please don't automatically flame me for this! I know it will be less fun in the corners etc - but it's a reversable mod and I'd like to know if I can do this...

Thanks

It's funny that your sig says, "Ride it like you stole it"... ;)

Let's say you chose to push the peg mount forward and down (using the plates I provide) instead of up and back by using the rear mount point and use a lot of shims to make up the ~3/8" distance from the frame difference:

I don't think you could (safely) use these to push your pegs forward and down for 3 reasons. 1) You lose the effect of the stabilizer peg coming out of the frame when the plate is mounted now completely outside of the frame. 2) The new mount point for the shifter side rearset is completely unstabilized now too. 3) Attaching the peg shifter rod might be a difficult thing to do in this position. I don't know if there is enough travel get the engine shift rod to actuate the gear selector.

Last edited:

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm in negotiations to sell one of the last two set (a black set, the other silver set I'm gonna keep as a template). Demand as waned over the last six months and because of the rising costs of the material and labor, breaking even gets harder and harder. However, if you're interested in buying a set, please let me know soon. If I get 5 paying customers, I'll go have another small run made.

As an aside, I'm considering desiging a stylish handle bar clamp for naked folks (something that can mount the speedo & maybe a popular GPS unit). Let me know if you're interested in that too.

oso2k