FZ6 R6 turbo How to

John F

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed a turbo on my FZ6 a few years ago the results are fantastic. Engine runs strong no surge stutter bog anywere. All done with hand tools no custom machine work expensive ecm or dyno tunning used. I tried many things along the way fuel, timming, compression, boost level, gear ratios, piston coatings,air fuel ratio.
The problems you must solve to add a turbo are stock map sensor signal must
not see boost. engine will need more fuel 50% to 200% more. air box that will not leak,air charge cooling, oil supply and drain, blow off valve, welding for exhaust pipe,air charge plumbing, clutch to hold up to more torque and the most difficult part is were to mount all this stuff.
My goals were to make a good street bike first comfort, drivability and reliable. The end results of what works and cost summary.
Garret gt1548 turbo $600,Bell custom made intercoolers $250 each,synapse map block $60, pcv $250,lcd $250, air box $200,fuel regulator $50 ,bov $50,gaskets $200,clutch $150,Tig welder $300,Misc lines hoses used parts hose clamps fittings spark plugs oil coolant repair manuel books $800 it addes up fast. Reasonable do it yourself total around $3000.00 And nine months to assemble and fabracate all the parts. Hope this helps those of you thinking of installing a turbo.

Bryan-

Reaction score
Visit site
Any chance to see some pictures and movies of the installation / turbo? More specified install/produce instructions? A dyno map by any chance? The idea is awesome atleast! :cheer:

John F

Reaction score
Visit site
Harbor freight cheap pos tig welder $200 argon tank and regulator $100 welds stainless and most metals not aluminum. Perfect for stainless exhaust pipes.

John F

Reaction score
Visit site
Some pictures of install. I have to find dyno chart. install details not sure which part you want info on? A brief summary. dyno at 8psi makes 140hp.
completly stock engine except for the clutch and ignition timming backed off 4 deg. On 93octane pump gas. Ran this setup for years and thousands of miles with zero part failures or break downs. started expermenting with higher boost alcahol fuel about a year ago. Found the pistons melt at anything past the 160hp mark. If you are looking to make 200hp you will have to find a solution to pistons overheating. maybe larger piston oil squiter jets and forged pistons. Fun to ride and reliable at 8psi. If this was a track only bike i would take it too the limits. at 23psi boost it was very fast till the pistons melted. Did not find any wear inside engine when i replaced pistons after 18000 miles of abuse other than the damaged pistons. Bearings clutch basket gears valves all in geat shape and reused. I did change the head gasket thicknes to 0.060 in. No power loss above 3000 rpm and no longer need any timming adjustment. stock ignition timming with no adjustment works great with lower comprresion gasket. gasket change is the way to go its cheap $122 and reliable because its simple no add on sensors wires or timming computer. safe to about 10psi boost slight knock at 12psi. will post the fuel system how to with dyno charts

View attachment 29518

View attachment 29519

View attachment 29520

View attachment 29521

View attachment 29522

View attachment 29523

View attachment 29524

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm skeptical of this setup, there is no way you can run a turbo kit on a non turbo engine with out a custom ecu reflash, how does the ecu know how much fuel is required for the larger injectors, plus the pictures only show parts on a bike, that does'nt mean it runs, this could be a hoax for all I know.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm skeptical of this setup, there is no way you can run a turbo kit on a non turbo engine with out a custom ecu reflash, how does the ecu know how much fuel is required for the larger injectors, plus the pictures only show parts on a bike, that does'nt mean it runs, this could be a hoax for all I know.

I thought after the fuss with FZ6Fighterboys supercharged FZ,that left quite a few with red faces,that people would be given a chance to explain their setup before they were flamed by the 'Non believers' ;)

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Trust me I'm not a "non believer", I'm just skeptical, I've seen plenty of hoax's 'like' this in the import tuning world, someone joins a forum, posts a few pics, provides little info about the vehicle, then gets questions about parts and how-to's, then BAM! we never see him again.

If this is his bike then he needs to provide a more in-depth review, don't just post " FZ6 R6 turbo how to" with a few pics, show some detailed pics, post a video, maybe even a dyno chart, give us part brands and specs, or recommedations for things to avoid.

I think it's cool that someone went through the trouble to turbo an FZ6, but if you spend $3000 on mods, I would think that they would show it off to every one on the internet, I know I would!

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
John F has been on this forum fo ra few months. His bike showed up in a thread, and he heard about it and joined to tell us about it. This isn't the first time he or his bike have been a topic of discussion on this forum.

As for posting more pictures, dyno plots and video to "prove" that he really built this, that's a laugh.

Like John, I've built my own turbo bike. I can tell you from experience that after all the blood sweat and tears are done and the bike runs, you reach a state of mind where you don't have to "prove" anything to anybody.

Although I to still want to get John up to Austin sometime to see his bike.

Fred

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Why in the name of Pete would you spend $3000 on an FZ6

I love my bike, but seriously, buy an Aprilia Tuono 1000, a Street Triple R, etc.

I just don't see the cost/benefit of doing this mod...

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
Why in the name of Pete would you spend $3000 on an FZ6

I love my bike, but seriously, buy an Aprilia Tuono 1000, a Street Triple R, etc.

I just don't see the cost/benefit of doing this mod...

Things aren't always about cost. Sometimes people love a specific machine and it's worth more personally to them than buying something new. A lot of people like the challenge - anybody can go buy another bike, but how many turbo FZ6s do you see on the road, not to mention reliably ridden?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Turbo bikes are white elephants. They cost a lot. They often have unpleasant power characteristics in corners. They require more maintainance, and they can go through engines on a biannual basis.

You're right, the cost benefit ratio doesn't justify it.

But on the other hand, they're a bloody lot of fun. It's empowering to know that you built something really unique. And when the boost is turned up to "detach retinas" and the turbo is singing, you get a grin on your face that is hard to remove.

And it's hard to put a price on that.

Cheers,
Fred

John F

Reaction score
Visit site
I am working on posting details going to take me 3 or 4 weeks to type out all the info. nay sayers first so i can get back to build detail. no probles in corners torque curve is smoother than stock 6000 rpm nose dive is gone. no problems with engine wear. maybe clutch wears faster on 3rd set of clutch plates in 20,000 miles or could be the 40 to 50 drag strip passes. I now have the knowledge to turbo almost any engine whats that worth? I enjoy mods almost as much as riding they both cost money and time.
The dyno curve with less torque has a longer duration intake cam with more overlap.
For the fuel injection Its stock port injectors with power commander v auto tune lcd. fuel mapping almost same as non turbo plus or minus 5% from stock map except for 20% throttle 10 to 14k rpm adding 40% to fuel map. the stock map sensor does not see boost blocked by check valve.the stock ecm does not see any boost signal. no trouble codes or check engine light. the additional fuel under boost is from 4 add on shower head injectors off of a cbr1000. what controls the injectors is an fz6 pc3 usb, to make pc3 additional fuel controler cut off the connectors and rewire blacks to ground red to power i will have to go lookup the other five wire colors. splice the two input wires to the pc5 input wires pcv. pc3 wire colors same as pcv.you will need an fz6 service manuel to confirm. the two output wires go to the shower head injectors #1#4 and #2#3 pairs same as port injectors.the last wire is the 0to5 volt tps input this one goes to a 2.5 bar motarola map sensor.

John F

Reaction score
Visit site
Back to the fuel system. map sensor is 2.5 bar mpx4250 from glensgarage.com output is 0.2 to 4.9 volts. three wires ground, 5volt supply,output. splice in to any 5volt wire on bike. the output wire goes to tps input of pc3. how to calibrate tps input. with bike on and hose disconnected from mpx map sensor set this as closed throttle position. apply 21psi to mpx map sensor set this as 100% throttle position. next to fill in map. you need to know more or less what size injectors to make a rough map. Lets use 8 fz6 injectors for example. with both sets of injectors at 0% change on pc maps thats 100% more fuel with port map at 0% change and shower head map at -75% thats 25% more fuel flow. how to fill in shower head pc3 map. 0% tp on map is no boost if no boost no need for more fuel fill in this tp with -99 at all rpms. 100tp on map is 21psi boost 0.2156 psi per 1% on map. 10%tp=2psi,20%tp=4psi,40%tp=8psi. so at 40tp on pc3 map 8psi fuel need will be close to 50% more fuel then just fill in -50 on map. fuel need is linear with boost rise. 40tp -50, 80tp -0, 20tp -75. non boost cells on map below 3500rpm use -99 so no extra is fuel added. not as complex as it sounds. I use the port map to fine tune shower head very basic numbers all the same. as in at 40tp fill in all cells over 3500rpm with -50. this is the only part of turbo install thats hard to explain. but easiest part to install.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
For the record, I didn't ask for a dyno to seek proof. I just wanted to see the numbers. :) Still reading, thanks.

John F

Reaction score
Visit site
And the rest of the fuel system. changed fuel system from internal fuel pressure regulator to external regulator. Any universal regulator with 1 to 1 rise rate wiil work. changed to R1 fuel pump module because it had a fuel line return port for external regulator. stock pump ok up to 17lbs boost on pump gas. And the last part of fuel system is. I Had to add a relay to supply power to secondary injectors its switched off at startup because the power commanders take a second to start working. Installing 50% larger injectors does not work with stock ecm and power commander. maybe the next software update for PCV module will include engine cranking fuel mod. you can install larger port injectors but starting is a problem. Well thats how i solved the fuel supply needs. if you are planning to go all out a megasquit ecm with flex fuel composition sensor is far better than power commander modules.

John F

Reaction score
Visit site
Working 8 days in a row.I will get back to install details soon. I will be in austin as soon as I get a day off. I typically ride around hill country on weekday mornings eat lunch and head home before its too hot.The savage at Connans pizza in austin is worth the trip on its own.