FZ6 prone to YZF600r tranny problems?

chromalux

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys!

I'm actually looking to buy my first bike and was originally going to get a YZF600R then I read about the dreaded 2nd gear problems. After looking a bit more I found an 05 FZ6 with 5300 miles and was thinking about getting that.

I was just curious if there was any sort of tranny problems with this model. Reading the horror stories about the YZF's has me super paranoid now.

Thanks!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, just typical Yamaha clunk going from neutral into first gear...

Very solid transmission. Short of blowing up a clutch from major abuse and injesting it, pretty bullet proof.

chromalux

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I'm fairly new to anything having to do with bikes but will have someone who knows a bit going with me to look at it. Are there any problem spots for this model or stuff to look out for when buying used? Anything to pay close attention to?

I saw something about a recall on the 05s, TPS and a front sprocket retainer? Forgive me I'm not very mechanically savvy so I don't know what that means, just trying to cover my bases :don'tknow:

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I'm fairly new to anything having to do with bikes but will have someone who knows a bit going with me to look at it. Are there any problem spots for this model or stuff to look out for when buying used? Anything to pay close attention to?

I saw something about a recall on the 05s, TPS and a front sprocket retainer? Forgive me I'm not very mechanically savvy so I don't know what that means, just trying to cover my bases :don'tknow:

If you get the bike, call your Yamaha dealer. Certain bikes that year has the TPS re-call. The TPS(below is for your bike), Yamaha will still replace the TPS for free.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...MAHA&searchCriteria.prod_ids=218750&submit=Go

Re the sprocket retainer, its a known issue but easily remedied, Part #34 (a new lockwasher after checking the torque on the front sprocket);
2005 Yamaha FZ6 (FZS6T) Transmission | Babbitts Online

The FZ does have a loose chain spec (approx 2" total up and down). Make sure it isn't much less than that. If your buddy knows about bikes, pretty much the same things to look for, chain, fluids, leaks, tires, etc... A good, up to date maintainance record would be nice to have..

I have the owners manual as a PDF file if you want to look at it. PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Not just the FZ but rust in the fuel tank. Bring a flashlight and open the lid. Look through the fuel if you need too. Bikes not stored properly can get all rusty inside.

Also, some of the early ones or well weathered bike had issues with water intrusion into the steering head bearings. If it has center stand, one of you can push the back down raising the nose while the other feels for clunk, binding, crunch feelings from head bearings.

Pretty reliable bikes overall. They usually get killed vs killing themselves....

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I very rarely have the problem of picking up a tranny on my fz6 and when I do its always rider error not the bikes fault.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I very rarely have the problem of picking up a tranny on my fz6 and when I do its always rider error not the bikes fault.

j5TxBko.png

(my sides though)