New FZ6 Owner - General Fairing Question

malibu368

Reaction score
Visit site
First of all, I would just like to say Hi, and I have enjoyed reading the many threads on this forum about everything related to the FZ6. I have raced motorcross, hare scrambles and enduros for years and I had never made the entry to a road bike until now. (35 years old) I figure waiting till I was a little older may help me make better decisions.

Anyway, my wife got excited about the idea of me getting a street bike and a craigs list search later, we have a bike. It's the bike I wanted for years, I am very happy with the purchase. I picked up a very clean 2007 and it has been a blast.

I have read the threads on the windscreens and decided I am going to pick up a PUIG Racing screen, see how well I like it. I am torn between the "Light Smoke" and "Dark Smoke" The dark smoke looks very cool, but I don't want my vision to be affected. I am thinking I should go with the light smoke, I am a shorter rider so I will probably be looking through the screen some. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks alot for the replies, I look forward to contributing to the forum!

Shawn

:rockon:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: OP!

Puig makes a great windscreen for the FZ6, so you're making a good choice there. Honestly, though, it's all about personal preference (light vs. dark smoke). When I had a fairing, I preferred the look of the dark smoke over any others (I just though it looked cool).

What you really need to figure out is this...in order to be looking through the windscreen, you're gonna need to basically be right down on the tank. Obviously, the natural seating position is pretty upright. So...how much do you really think you'll be down that low on the tank. I can probably count how many times I've been that tucked in on one hand (and I've had the bike for 5 years).

Like I said, though, it's a completely personal choice. You can't go wrong with the brand, so all that's left is to figure out what you like best. IMO, the windscreen isn't there to be looked through...it's more for wind protection and looks.

Great choice on the bike, btw! :thumbup:

malibu368

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: OP!

Puig makes a great windscreen for the FZ6, so you're making a good choice there. Honestly, though, it's all about personal preference (light vs. dark smoke). When I had a fairing, I preferred the look of the dark smoke over any others (I just though it looked cool).

What you really need to figure out is this...in order to be looking through the windscreen, you're gonna need to basically be right down on the tank. Obviously, the natural seating position is pretty upright. So...how much do you really think you'll be down that low on the tank. I can probably count how many times I've been that tucked in on one hand (and I've had the bike for 5 years).

Like I said, though, it's a completely personal choice. You can't go wrong with the brand, so all that's left is to figure out what you like best. IMO, the windscreen isn't there to be looked through...it's more for wind protection and looks.

Great choice on the bike, btw! :thumbup:

Thanks alot for the reply, and your right. Probably won't look through it much. So, just one more quick question. I am in the middle of ordering the windscreen and I started reading about the PUIG touring. I thought it looked pretty cool to. Any preference on that? Thanks.
Shawn

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a touring Puig that is I believe is dark smoke that was on the bike 10 minutes that I will sell for 50.00$ + a reasonable shipping charge.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The dark smoke is hard to see through unless it's really bright out, but I'm so tall I can't see out of it anyways.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not tall by any means, but my '04 had a black windscreen on it when I bought it, and it doesn't bother me a bit. I'm about 5'8", and I've never felt the need to look through it. Might be different with a tall screen on an '07, though.

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed the Puig screen a few weeks ago and it looked to be ~1.5-2" taller than the OEM screen. Are you looking through the stock windscreen now, or up to 2" above the stock windscreen? (my guess is probably not)