FZ6 power restriction?

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
There's plenty of clearance at the lever. About a fingers width...

I don't abuse it the clutch. I use it to change gears. The worst I've done is missed a gear change now and then, and sometimes grabbed the lever back in again before it fully engages the gear at high revs. This is not a regular thing, but it has happened. Apart from that I use it only to change gears. I don't even use it for low speed control - doing U-turns or in heavy traffic. Instead I try to use both brakes, and shift into neutral or pull the clutch in completely if I'm really not moving forward. What I'm trying to say is there is no half way clutch usage, at any speed, except for in rare, accidental cases of bad gear changes. Which I am guilty of.

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
did you ever get this restriction removed ? im ready to remove mine so searched for posts on factory restricted bikes , i have my full license ages now but like you i bought a factory restricted bike as i was on a provisional with view to taking the restriction out at a later date i want to do it myself without going to danfay or the shop where i bought the bike:cheer:

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
mylo, hi I only saw this now...
Congrats. I have to wait a while longer til my restriction is up. Let me know how much of a difference there is!! :D enjoy.

In Danfay the guys told me not to bother de-restricting it, that it is complicated and unnatural. Complicated replacement parts, etc.

So I did a test : On the motorway to Galway I ran the bike at a given RPM in each gear, and checked the speed. There is a table on this forum somewhere (thanks to someone very helpful), with this information in it. ie:, gear X, rpm Y, speed Z.
On my restricted bike, all the results matched up perfectly with the figures in the table to within a couple of kilometres per hour. So my conclusion is that the only restrictor is the throttle restrictor, which I have put up a picture of before.

I had this anxiety before that if that throttle restrictor alone was taken off then the engine would explode, as all the cunning hidden restriction parts that hadn't been found became overloaded and failed. Or just that the bike would not be running at peak efficiency and I would be a bad and irresponsible owner of it.
Now I think that it will probably be ok.

The throttle restrictor is obvious enough on a naked FZ6. I haven't tried to figure out how it would come off though. It looks simple enough... :shrugs:

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah you can see the throttle restriction when you pull the throttle back theres a stop plate and then another stop after that which the throttle cable is wrapped around

yesterday i removed the plate with the fixed stop ( marked X in finalimpacts photo) but its still attached to the throttle cable etc so i put that back on and had a look at the part where the cable is wrapped around theres 2 stops on that so im guessing ill have to take that off and cut off the 1st stop with a grinder/hack saw but i didnt bother doing it as i wont have access to a grinder/tools until i get into work ( sad face on finalimpacts photo) or maybe cut a bit off the plate (X) ?

ill have another look when i get a chance as maybe you can unbolt that and twist it around or take off the 1st stop i really only had a glance at it but ill probably take some photos and document it and add it to this post

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you past the two years restriction?

A friend of mine works in insurance claims and he scared me off taking the restrictor off early. If you have to pay third party damages privately, you'd most likely be selling your bike a few times over to pay for it.

Then there's the legal charges for driving without a license for the vehicle, driving without insurance and i suppose whatever kind of recklessness the legal system thinks that entails. And you can run into that without any insurance claim or anything.

All it takes is for some idiot to pull out or do a U-Turn on you without checking the mirrors, and you could be in a world of ****.

Obviously if it's been two years and your good to go that's all irrelevant.

Keep us posted. :thumbup:

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Its the gearing thing that really has me confused\concerned. Maybe there's just one way to find out...

Count the teeth on the sprockets and report back. I doubt they changed the gearing on the bike just for the Irish marketplace but you never know.

The wall you are hitting on the highways is from the throttle plate device most likely.

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
Good to see you got yours sorted Mylo! I'll probably end up going the same route.

However, 3 different places have told me that there is more than just the throttle stop. 2 of those 3 told me that it is not financially practical to de-restrict the bike, and that I should sell it or trade it in instead!

I think I'll go back to the place that assembled my bike and supplied it to the shop I bought it from. When I went before they told me not to bother, just buy another bike. The only detail I can remember from what they said is "inlet rubbers". Another place repeated that, and told me ECU as well, and a few other bits and pieces. I know what an ECU is, but not an "inlet rubbers". Either way, expensive.

It is not in the spirit of the restriction to let everybody know how it is removed. So it would make sense to disguise the actual restriction process with bull**** complexities. I think. Or maybe I am paranoid?!

Anyway, I bought the bike thinking I could have the best of both worlds - derestrict it when the time comes and continue to drive it for a number of years. Well, the time has come and I am legally allowed to drive whatever I like since February, so I am hopefully going to unrestrict the bike. I would be sorry to sell it.

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
bike shops = money hungry bull****ters
internet forums = free money saving info

chose the one you want :thumbup:

if you want to meet up the weekend give me a shout you can see my bike and have a go of it

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to see you got yours sorted Mylo! I'll probably end up going the same route.

However, 3 different places have told me that there is more than just the throttle stop. 2 of those 3 told me that it is not financially practical to de-restrict the bike, and that I should sell it or trade it in instead!

I think I'll go back to the place that assembled my bike and supplied it to the shop I bought it from. When I went before they told me not to bother, just buy another bike. The only detail I can remember from what they said is "inlet rubbers". Another place repeated that, and told me ECU as well, and a few other bits and pieces. I know what an ECU is, but not an "inlet rubbers". Either way, expensive.

It is not in the spirit of the restriction to let everybody know how it is removed. So it would make sense to disguise the actual restriction process with bull**** complexities. I think. Or maybe I am paranoid?!

Anyway, I bought the bike thinking I could have the best of both worlds - derestrict it when the time comes and continue to drive it for a number of years. Well, the time has come and I am legally allowed to drive whatever I like since February, so I am hopefully going to unrestrict the bike. I would be sorry to sell it.

Mate, I think that the bike shops are likely talking rubbish. Throttle body inlet stops would be visible if you remove the air box. This method has been used on other bikes which constantly gets confused with our machines. Ask the garages if they have actually ever restricted one before and get a part and part # breakdown. You can check this against the parts microfiche.

I am in Mylo's camp.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah sound Mylo, where abouts are you in Dublin?

I'm still puzzling over it because of these scare tactics about all the bits and pieces that need to be replaced.

Did you find out that those butterfly valves in your throttle bodies are restricted / don't open fully?

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
Mate, I think that the bike shops are likely talking rubbish. Ask the garages if they have actually ever restricted one before and get a part and part # breakdown. You can check this against the parts microfiche.

I think you're right, getting a part and part # breakdown is the best plan. Hopefully someone will be forthcoming with that info though.

I know that these guys have restricted one before though, because I am pretty sure they built my bike to a restricted spec. Not the bike shop, they just sold it to me. The supplier. I'll go back out to them when I have time, and see if I can get that information.

The thing is, it is probably not good business for them to release all the details of the restriction. Not because they are money hungry soulless capitalist pigs, but because if they do release that information then anybody could remove the restrictor themselves, and drive around on an unrestricted bike with a factory restriction certificate that they, the factory, have stamped. Seems like a can of worms.

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
im in parnell street - pvt message if u want to meet up tomorrow - ive added pics of throttle bodies and all in another thread - the bike shops are talking nonsense just looking for the dollar