FZ6 out, R1 in...

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
I almost cried, no jokes.

The FZ6 is in some areas much better than the R1 I just bought. I am obviously super happy with the R1, but riding it reinforced one thing in my head: The FZ6 is one of the great bikes of its time, and does everything any man may need... Hope you go into the world, being sold to a kind and caring person as myself. Live on my FZ6 :( (Insert Braveheart theme song here)

I will keep you guys posted on how the R1 compares, so far I can attest that the FZ6 will outrun the R1 between 0-4,000RPM in any gear.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice!! Take your time getting used to the power at high RPMs.

jcombs

One day at a time...
Reaction score
www.jaredsbook.com
Wow... congrats! I look forward to your review of the R1.
I was at the shop today getting new tires put on my FZ6. A friend of mine came with me and we browsed the bikes while I waited. I said to my friend, "What's cool to me is this: I've looked at all these liter bikes, Ducatis, R1's and I still have no desire to trade my FZ6. I just love it."
That's odd for me. I am impulsive and always suffer from the grass is greener syndrome. So for me to be satisfied, for now, with my FZ6 is cool.
The R6s and R1s are some sexy machines. I'll probably own one of them in the future, but for now I'm good.
Post some videos man... and pics. Can't wait to see them.
:thumbup:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow... congrats! I look forward to your review of the R1.
I was at the shop today getting new tires put on my FZ6. A friend of mine came with me and we browsed the bikes while I waited. I said to my friend, "What's cool to me is this: I've looked at all these liter bikes, Ducatis, R1's and I still have no desire to trade my FZ6. I just love it."
That's odd for me. I am impulsive and always suffer from the grass is greener syndrome. So for me to be satisfied, for now, with my FZ6 is cool.
The R6s and R1s are some sexy machines. I'll probably own one of them in the future, but for now I'm good.
Post some videos man... and pics. Can't wait to see them.
:thumbup:

Were you at LMS? Really, there's only one bike out there I'd trade my FZ6 for...that all-black Ducati Monster 696 (drool). That thing is pure dead sexy (keep in mind, I've ridden my friend's 696 on the Gap before and it's the perfect bike for that road). Of course, next year I plan on getting another bike...but keeping my FZ6. I just can't stand the thought of parting with her!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
i went the other way, my previous bike was a 2008 R1.

They older you get the more you likely reap the benefits of that decision! I've ridden a 2007 R1...beast but uncomfortable after about 5 miles, was happy to get back on my FZ6!

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
They older you get the more you likely reap the benefits of that decision! I've ridden a 2007 R1...beast but uncomfortable after about 5 miles, was happy to get back on my FZ6!

Agreed... Going from point A to B as fast as possible just defeats the purpose of enjoying the real motorcycle experience... The R1 is just pointless...

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Agreed... Going from point A to B as fast as possible just defeats the purpose of enjoying the real motorcycle experience... The R1 is just pointless...

I agree except for the pointless part, R1's are great race bikes or for compensating for personal short comings. But for me it's all about the ride not how fast I can get the ride over.

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
All the comments are true. So far the R1 has not had the reputation of reliability that Yamaha seems to have.

1) When cold, it does not want to start. Spoke to a Yam mech and he said to keep the button in, for 0.5sec after the engine has started to spin. Ok, so that works...
2) When I got it, it would die when hot. Then it would not start. Surfer here and there, seems the R1 is very sensitive on TB syncs. So I did that, fixed it so far...
3) Last week, the clutch had serious dragging. So I could hardly downshift and forget about Neutral...
4) Yesterday the clutch started slipping. Took it to Yam, $ 481 later, hopefully I get it tomorrow - clutch was toast.

If you look on the parts catalog website for Yam, you will notice a "clutch kit" for the R1. No such item for the FZ6...

Like I said, the FZ6 will beat the R1 on pull away. Because you don't dare slip the clutch on your R1.

Other than that, it goes like stink. Seating is ok, given what it was built for. Mileage is horrible, ok given what it was built for. Heat, man does it generate tons of it. Five seconds after start-up you want to get of the thing. Goes to 200degrees in 2 minutes.

I will post pics later on.

If you are reading this and considering buying an R1 or GSXR or CBR - keep the FZ6 and save up for the R1 etc. DO NOT SELL THE FZ6!!!!

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6, purchased about a month is my first bike. I researched long and hard for the right bike. My google-fu was strong. I found the right one and bought it as fast as I possibly could before anyone else could get their grubby hands on MY bike. :)

A bike mechanic friend of mine owns an R6. His GF owns an FZ6. He told me it's a fantastic machine I would never grow out of. His accolade is no doubt helped in part by the fact that he never really works on them! He said he'll probably never get a liter bike as they're only good for going a hundred-n-omg mph on the highway.

It feels weird saying this, but there's a small part of me that's sad about having such a wonderful first bike. I kinda missed that whole coming of age POS vehicle thing, and now there's nowhere to go but down.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Should have bought an sv1k....... hahah jk Maybe the R1 just wasnt driven enough and now that it is all the gremlins are coming out.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
All the comments are true. So far the R1 has not had the reputation of reliability that Yamaha seems to have.

1) When cold, it does not want to start. Spoke to a Yam mech and he said to keep the button in, for 0.5sec after the engine has started to spin. Ok, so that works...
2) When I got it, it would die when hot. Then it would not start. Surfer here and there, seems the R1 is very sensitive on TB syncs. So I did that, fixed it so far...
3) Last week, the clutch had serious dragging. So I could hardly downshift and forget about Neutral...
4) Yesterday the clutch started slipping. Took it to Yam, $ 481 later, hopefully I get it tomorrow - clutch was toast.

If you look on the parts catalog website for Yam, you will notice a "clutch kit" for the R1. No such item for the FZ6...

Like I said, the FZ6 will beat the R1 on pull away. Because you don't dare slip the clutch on your R1.

Other than that, it goes like stink. Seating is ok, given what it was built for. Mileage is horrible, ok given what it was built for. Heat, man does it generate tons of it. Five seconds after start-up you want to get of the thing. Goes to 200degrees in 2 minutes.

I will post pics later on.

If you are reading this and considering buying an R1 or GSXR or CBR - keep the FZ6 and save up for the R1 etc. DO NOT SELL THE FZ6!!!!

Depending on what year r1 you got I more then likely has a slipper clutch in it, which mainly effects engine braking but I'm sure it could effect the launch as well. This is coming from someone who has never rode a bike with a slipper clutch but I would think that r1 should be able to take the fz6 at any speed, any gear, any rpm unless it has other issues. And about your keeping the fz6 comment I'd like to add or just get a fz1 lol

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
... about the FZ6 being able to beat an R1 from 0-100...

Few weeks ago I read a small article somewhere about a German motorcycle magazine having tested 0-100 km/h on various machines. I can't remember how many (or few) listings and all but the fastest 3 was these bikes:
*Yamaha Vmax
*Suzuki B-King 1300
*Honda VFR 1200

Anyone please correct me if I remember incorrectly?

Conclusion was that highpowered and heavy bikes was less prone to frontwheel lift-off and thereby the rider could enable all HP much faster.
Above 100 km/h was a different story => Almost all 1000cc racers (such as R1) completely annihilated the rest.

Now the FZ6 is not extremely highpowered and not especially heavy either, but (as far as I have noticed) it's not prone to front-wheel lifting at all. So it's not that hard to spend all 98hp with minimal clutch-fiddling :D

Another important note is that 1000cc race bikes are not really made for 0-100. They are (roughly spoken) made for fast lap-times, lightning fast knee-down cornering and so on.

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
An update:

I am having trouble cornering the R1 with the sam e confidence as me FZ6. I have watched the Bike Cornering Bible videos, and that helped tons. However, I still can't feel the edge.

I can get the same corner speeds on a test corner near my house as with the FZ, but I can't help feeling that the R1 has more to give. The main sensation is that the R1 feels numb. The FZ communicated what it did really well.

Anyway, I may just need more practice.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
An update:

I am having trouble cornering the R1 with the sam e confidence as me FZ6. I have watched the Bike Cornering Bible videos, and that helped tons. However, I still can't feel the edge.

I can get the same corner speeds on a test corner near my house as with the FZ, but I can't help feeling that the R1 has more to give. The main sensation is that the R1 feels numb. The FZ communicated what it did really well.

Anyway, I may just need more practice.

Practice is good.:thumbup:

You've gone from a bike that you can pretty safely 'give it the berries' to something that will hand you your head if you muff it. If the R1 feels numb, it's because you aren't going fast enough to make it work.

I have the same issue with the ZX6, without the fear of wheel spin/lofting the front wheel.... it's plenty quick enough, but it's really hard to find anywhere on the street when I can 'push' the suspension at all.