fortunately, I had frame sliders, so not much visual damage;

as far as I can see:

the handlebar end;
the right footpeg bottom scraper;
the mirror housing - tiny scratch;
the givi side mounting - center locking part;
top mounted givi case - side;
and of course right frame slider;

the tank and front right side blinker were 1/4" from the ground ( thank you slider);

I rode it home and it seems to go strait and handles the same way as before;

anyway, here are the questions:

Should I take it to the shop to see if any hidden damage exists, like frame or fork or triple-clamp?
could handle bar be bent slightly? ( it seems ok to my feel; do dealers have tools to measure if handle bar is out of factory spec?)

this is my first time something 400lb falls over from static position ( not during the ride);
how great is the impact to worry about more serious damage than the visual one I can see?

I will appreciate any input ,
thanks

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped my first motorcycle 3 times and the only thing wrong was a damaged crank case cover, broken turn signal, and slightly bent handle bar. As far as the frame and steering everything was fine. So I wouldnt worry about a small knock over.

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped my bike on the right hand side, well i say dropped was more like a slow place on the ground, toppled over too far and couldnt hold it any more.

Bar end scratched and tiny tiny marks on the engine case. With a new bar end no one would even guess it had touched the tarmac.

I was cursing at the time but funny in hindsight

p.s. i dont have any frame sliders, was just lucky that the bike rested on the bar end when the wheel was pointing straight ahead

RICK-WPB

Reaction score
Visit site
Did exactly the same as DaveK back in December. Ground was at an steep angle and not in my favor, so bike leaned to the right and couldn't save it from falling over. Minor cosmetic damage. Right handle bar end saved it. Right turn signal scrapped on under side, scrape on right rear view mirror. Scrape on right side of front fairing toward the very top corner, bent rear brake pedal inward. Everything easily fixed. After the incident, immediately ordered frame and swing arm sliders. Bike rides perfect. Not to worry. Just embarrassing.

newbie001

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks guys for the replies;

I just set the bike on a flat surface ( checked with carpenter's level);
then I set the handlebar level ( again with carpenter's level);
then I measured the distance from the ground to the bar ends, and the right side is about 1/8" to 1/4" lower than the left side;

so seems something is a bit off;

I guess I am a perfectionist and a little sad since it will be impossible to convince the adjuster that handlebar is out of specs;

newbie001

Reaction score
Visit site
yes,

a lady backed up into it parking at 6:30pm;
it was dark and I guess she did not see it in her rear view mirror when she started parking;
the funny thing is that I could not find the point of contact where she touched it with her car, so i guess the impact was low but enough to push it off the center stand;

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check your handlebar. The slightly-used 07 I bought had a slight scuff on the right-hand end, was a few weeks later that I noticed the handlebar was shifted about 3/4" to the left. I loosened the triple-clamp and moved it back to center; didn't handle much different but it now LOOKS right! ;)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yes,

a lady backed up into it parking at 6:30pm;
it was dark and I guess she did not see it in her rear view mirror when she started parking;
the funny thing is that I could not find the point of contact where she touched it with her car, so i guess the impact was low but enough to push it off the center stand;

Parking lots are for cagers. Let this be a lesson, avoid parking in spots where it's meant for cars. This is one of the primary reasons why they have motorcycle parking. And if they don't, make your own. Otherwise, this is going to happen again, and again. There are too many threads created by other members just like yours that have expereinced the same thing.

newbie001

Reaction score
Visit site
well Vegasrider, it was a groccery store parking lot, so no dedicated bike spaces are available there; but that would be a lesson for me anyway to stay away from dark areas if I park in the evening;

thanks

Rescuer

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Newbie001, I just had someone back into my 07 FZ6 from the left rearof my bike with Givi E41's mounted, steering locked, in first gear, and on side stand. I incurred the same damage. Make sure you check your distances from your handle bar ends using your gas tank as a reference. Move handle bars back and forth while bike is centered to look for any variance from your left and right handle bar ends. Also look for any paint flaking on handle bars that would also indicate bending of the metal. I took my bike to a reputable Yamaha dealership, his insurance covered the estimate, and was told that due to the low impact speed from his vehicle that the gears would be and are good condition. Mostly cometic damage being covered by his insurance, going to make my bike whole again. Good luck, Rescuer.

newbie001

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks Rescuer;

I will go over the handle bar measuring again and tel the other carrier about them paying for the estimate;

did you have frame sliders by the way? ( i think my left one is too short and would not have avoided the engine side cover damage if bike had fallen on the left side)

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike is waaay more stable when in first gear and on the sidestand. I never use my sidestand except when loobing the chain & cleaning the back wheel. I think it's a habit brought over from when people start off on scooters to use the centre stand - it is MUCH less stable.

Think about it: a triangle is the strongest shape and that's why they use it when building bridges etc. The sidestand and the wheels form a triangle (kinda) and it's very hard to push over. The only problem may be if the bike was pushed forwards and the sidestand is pushed off (this is why you put the bike in gear).

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
well Vegasrider, it was a groccery store parking lot, so no dedicated bike spaces are available there; but that would be a lesson for me anyway to stay away from dark areas if I park in the evening;

thanks

Since my bike is my only ride, I have to go to the grocery store pretty much just about everyday. I always ride up onto the curb and park right up front where the vending machines are, sometimes they even have bicycle parking right around that area. Sometimes it's even under cover protected from the rain and the sun. I never ever park in a grocery parking lot.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
my bike fell over at the very end of the year off the center stand, no ill effects, just my poor baby has some character on the eyelid now...