Fz6 hard in the corners.

Sycotic

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've had my bike for almost a year and it always seemed so hard to turn. My buddy always said it looks like I'm having trouble in curves, so I let him ride mine and I rode his 06. His turned and cornered with ease and he said he had to push mine more. Is there a problem with my tires? Do I need to loosen something up? Or is there really that much difference between an 06 and an 09?

Jorosv

Reaction score
Visit site
You should check your bike man, my 06 seems extremely flickable into corners and compared my a mates 01 R6 it farres jsut as well as the supersport.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
check for any notches in your head bearings, also check tyre wear and inflation. Different tyres will have different profiles too. If your rear preload is too low this could also affect it

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No, it's definitely not the 06 to 09 difference. It's something with your bike. Can be tires, particularly if they are squared off. Even if just the rear is squared off, it won't turn nearly as well as it would on nice rounded profile.

Does it feel like it turns in slowly or does it actually feel like it takes a lot of effort to initiate lean (countersteering.. pressing the handlebar in the direction of the turn to lean the bike over)??

You can speed up the turn in, by loosening pinch bolts on triple trees and sliding fork legs up 10-15mm (they are flush with the top, from factory). Just make sure they protrude the same amount on both sides if you do this.

I don't think it's a tight head bearing, because that would also make the bike feel very unstable in a straight line.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^
Little changes in setup make a huge difference! Like Eric said, lowing the nose (raising the stanchion tubes in the triple), will make it turn in easier. So will raising the back. Depending on your weight, changing the rear from say setting #3 to setting #5 will help (this changes ride height, not spring rate), but the trade off can be less stability at higher speeds.

I have R6 forks raised 8mm, front sag is 31mm, rear is 29 (rear is R1). Add the FZ1 bars and more weight is further forward. Also, tires make a HUGE DIFFERENCE!!

Funnest tires ever BattleAxe BT-016 Pros and S20's. Great tires and I consider my bike to be pretty flickable and stable at speed xxx.

PS - I'd suggest playing with the back first, then move the front in stages. i.e. no more than 8mm at a time. 16 can really change things quick.

Also, check your tire pressure. 1/2 to 1.0 psi changes things. Try 34/37 if running 33/36.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tyre age plays a big part in handling, as doe's tyre profile and running at the correct pressure. Putting on new correctly inflated tyres is like riding a new bike.
Even a few PSI off in pressures will make the bike feel terrible when turning.
I would start with the basics before you go dropping forks through yolks and playing with sag. Once the basics are sorted you have your baseline in which to make further technical adjustments.
Let us know what you find.

Nelly:thumbup:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I agree that it's the tires but don't think it's set up. Seeing his buddy with the same bike with most likely the same setup can switch bikes and feel the difference.

Erik; (countersteering.. pressing the handlebar in the direction of the turn to lean the bike over) This statement can be taken two ways, maybe more clear to say turn handlebars in opposite direction of corner or pressing on inside handlebar. hmm thats not good either but I'm sure everyone gets it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Erik; (countersteering.. pressing the handlebar in the direction of the turn to lean the bike over) This statement can be taken two ways, maybe more clear to say turn handlebars in opposite direction of corner or pressing on inside handlebar. hmm thats not good either but I'm sure everyone gets it.

We try to say it as simply as we can in MSF BRC, and usually go with "press right to go right, press left to go left". Can't get much simpler than that :D

Sycotic

Reaction score
Visit site
It feels like I have to put more effort into than I should. The bike only had 1100 miles when I got it, the tires were pretty much new. My buddy's bike just seemed lighter as well, a lot more comfortable to handle.

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine did the same and root cause was tires. I've checked steering head, suspension, different handlebar :)rolleyes:) and still I couldn't get responsive steering. Then I went to my trustee mechanic and he told me to replace tires. Of course I was shocked because there was plenty of thread but there was some difference between center and side wear (side had around 1mm more).

I've replace it and... whooohaaa. What a change !

I've used to have Mitchelin Pilot Road 2 and I've replace it with Metzeler Sportec M5 and I like it much more. But I think i will get less millage from them.

Other thing I did (after that) was lowering front suspension. I've dropped mine by 10mm and had sag and ride height set. It also made huge difference. Especially if you enjoy spirited riding.

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think it's a tight head bearing, because that would also make the bike feel very unstable in a straight line.

I'd recommend checking the head bearing for a flat spot. With the bike on the center stand, force the back end down to lift the front up, then check the side to side motion of the steering for smoothness. I had an old CB750S and it would self-center at the flat spot.:thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd recommend checking the head bearing for a flat spot. With the bike on the center stand, force the back end down to lift the front up, then check the side to side motion of the steering for smoothness. I had an old CB750S and it would self-center at the flat spot.:thumbup:

It won't hurt to check it, but that really cannot be the issue here. 1100 miles on the bike.. it's brand spanking new! (unless it lived outside in the rain and took occasional dip in the ocean!!) :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine did the same and root cause was tires. I've checked steering head, suspension, different handlebar :)rolleyes:) and still I couldn't get responsive steering. Then I went to my trustee mechanic and he told me to replace tires. Of course I was shocked because there was plenty of thread but there was some difference between center and side wear (side had around 1mm more).

I've replace it and... whooohaaa. What a change !

I've used to have Mitchelin Pilot Road 2 and I've replace it with Metzeler Sportec M5 and I like it much more. But I think i will get less millage from them.

Other thing I did (after that) was lowering front suspension. I've dropped mine by 10mm and had sag and ride height set. It also made huge difference. Especially if you enjoy spirited riding.

Makes sense! Sycotic, your bike is a 09 and if you're still on original tires, they're close to 5 years old. Look for a 4-digit number on the side. Something like 0508 (which would mean manufactured in 5th week of 2008). Look at the tire.. particularly the water channels. Can you see tiny little hairline cracks?

Good, new sport or sport touring rubber will likely transform your bike.
This is not a tire thread, but I highly recommend Pilot Road 2CT. The grip is very good and the life... I've had mine for over 12k miles now on FZ1, including a track day and even the rear is still good!!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
2nd the tires. When I got my FZ6 it had 2,800 miles on it and the original tires. They were flat spotted. Seriously could feel the back raise up a little when i turned as it went from the flat to the edge. Also check the alignment using the string method to make sure the rear is not out of sorts. Check the brakes - particularly the rear to make sure it is not dragging.

All I can think of.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I have gone down because of improper tire inflation :spank::spank:

but I disagree with how much to drop the forks at a time.....i'd go with 4mm tops at a time....I noticed a difference going from 8mm to 10mm so goin from stock to 8mm would probably catch me off guard and make things squirly at first.

Sycotic

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you everyone fir your help and advice. The tires look ok, there's a bit of a spot in the middle, but nothin cracking anywhere. Looks like I have some stuff to play with and worse comes to worse......new tires :rolleyes:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
You may want to find out what your friend has for tires and get those. Tires make a big differences in handling. The popular Michelin's have a slight V shape, makes for quick turn in.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
tires are a big part in it (without starting a tire debate) but it is definitely worth a proper suspension setup.

03636rider

Reaction score
Visit site
When I got my bike it still had the original tires on it, and handled like crap. I went with Mich Pilot Powers. More of a superbike tire but its not a big deal to me. (I get my tires changed out for free) I know they don't tend to last as long. But now the bike handles like a dream and I've caught my toe on the pavement a couple times since switching. The method of making sure there are no flat spots in your head bearing should tell you a lot.

Best of luck

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally took it to the track...

NCBIKE-FZ6-6-22-23-a.jpg

Last edited: