FZ6 gears

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just be very careful doing this. While it is perfectly safe, if you rock the bike forward you can push it off the centerstand, then you've got a tire going 60+ MPH hitting the ground and you're in for a very bad day.

Hi, i couldn't wait and took a 10 mins break, kept on center stand,
didn't give much rev(may be less than 3k rpm), changed to 6 gears.
However, I see inconsistent results, as i tried around 4 times, within the same period.
I will check at 60 mph on road and check tonight.
It might sound silly, but last night when going home, I counted 6, the temp on vehicle showed 190f, but this morning, i didn't warm the vehicle more than 30 seconds and counted 5 gears(with some confusion), and I live within 1 mile radius to work.

I purchased this 2008 FZ6(stock) on 29th March, and it got inspected last month. It has 3200 miles only. Now i wonder, the owner found this out and sold it or i'm just being overreacting.
Will hit interstate for few miles this evening and see.

BTW, can motorcycle engine turned off at intersections while waiting for green?

I usually leave it in first gear, kill engine and rest both the foot on road. Once i see green, hold clutch, turn on engine and drive normally. Is that against law?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Posted this long ago; it uses the tire diameter, RPM and Gear selected to calculate the vehicle speed.

At 6000 RPM you should go the ~ speed and distance in 60 seconds...
Click picture to follow thread....

FWIW: a NEW unmounted - not inflated BT023 rear tire rolls out 76.91" or an equivalent diameter of 24.48". Its 0.25" smaller than calculated. I'll measure again once its mounted and measure the treadless one while it has air. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
If you look at the sprocket side cover (left side), its imprinted in the cover LITERALLY, 1 DOWN 2-6 UP.

Go peek on a smoke break!

Thanks, I took a 10 min break, and check on center stand, out of 4 tests, 3 times, i had 6 gears, but one time, i feel it slipped one of the gear.

This same thing happened in the morning, cold bike, but in the evening, sunny, i hit interstate and hit 100mph and i didn't feel any trouble after taking exit ad driving city limit.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
If you look at the sprocket side cover (left side), its imprinted in the cover LITERALLY, 1 DOWN 2-6 UP.

Go peek on a smoke break!
Had myself a little giggle today cleaning the bike, at my own lack of observation. How have I never noticed that before? Lol.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I found out what my confusion is.
When shifting UP, i count 6 gears, but when shifting down, 6,5,4(makes only 2 gears),3,2,1=5 gears only.
What might be the problem and how can i fix it?
Please give advice.
Thanks.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It could be interpretation.
We all Assume that we take off in 1st gear. From here the lever will move 5 times with the Last shift into 6th gear. So there are 5 lever actions to acquire 6 gears if we take off in 1st gear.

So, charts, graphs, and drawings do not indicate SIX gear changes UNLESS you include going from Neutral into 1st gear. Then there are in fact six actions and six gears...

Even if you click up once and take off in 2nd, its still a Six speed gear box. So, the question is, can you use all six gears in your transmission?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
is going 100mph on a smooth, straight surface really that dangerous? even for a new(er) rider? it would seem the bike is doing most of the work at that speed, and it is a very stable bike :thumbup:

that said i spent 4 years going 55mph before i even hit 60mph :rolleyes:

YES, especially if said rider lacks the experience to recognize potential threats. Sure at first glance the "chosen" road may look perfect, that is until a car backs out or an animal crosses. Mistakes at 80+ mph means months of recovery should one overreact.

I'm just saying, you better know what to expect should you chop the throttle and lock the brakes because its all going downhill from there.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU4nQR1J8aU

Here you guys, i made a video regarding the issue i have, please observe 6,5,4 shiftings..!

Thanks

Hey dude, mine is just like that. The lever can take it - really give it a good whack down. Try getting up to speed in 6th gear, pull in the clutch, and start shifting downward while holding it in. You'll notice that for each gear you go down, the amount of force needed to shift it to the next lower gear increases. That's why I always give mine a good, solid tap.

I think it has something to do with the vertical nature of the FZ6 gearbox. In an effort to make it more compact, I think it changed some of the particulars and as such in typical Yamaha fashion isn't the smoothest thing in the world. I'm not sure how most sportbike esque gearboxes are set up (whether horizontal or vertical)

Last edited: