FZ6 Fuel Economy

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that summer has come around, my bike is doing a lot better with gas. On my regular commutes, I am getting around 43 mpg. I took a trip up to PA and speed average was 83mph (around 7k rpms) and I hit my all time high of 48mpg.

nigelcorn

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride like a complete panzy, I will admit it. I use mine mostly for commuting to work and back, and I like to keep the RPM's pretty low (3700). I keep pretty good records of miles driven and gallons used.

I think a common mistake is that people will give average mpg for one fill up, which is wildly inaccurate. Over the past 1000 miles or so, I have gotten a low of 49 mpg, and a high of 59.6mpg. The last two have been between 56-59.

In reality, it is a little lower than that, since the odometer is a little generous (from what I hear).

Either way, I am happy with the mpg, plus if I am out riding for fun it has more power than I need. Can't ask for much more than that.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
In reality, it is a little lower than that, since the odometer is a little generous (from what I hear).

I was gonna unsubscribe from the thread, but just wanted to set the record straight that as stock, the bike's odometer is spot on - the speedo is off. A speedohealer corrects the speedo and used to offset the ODO, but supposedly they now say they've fixed that problem and the new versions correct everything spot on.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
motorcycles are far more sensitive to driving habits than cars... I can get anywhere between 18mpg-~55mpg

Usually closer to the lower one because i usually travel on the highway around 160kph-170kph (8-9000 rpm) and in the city i like to have an open throttle.

If your a 60mph guy with a steady throttle hand and always around town in 6th gear you can get over 50mpg very easy

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine generally runs between 45 and 50mpg and doesn't seem to matter how I ride it. Lowest I ever got was a mountain run in SC where we were hammering pretty much all 8k+ and got around 40. I fill up around 150-175 miles per trip when the light starts flashing and generally only get 3-3.7 gallons into it slap full to the top. Only time I've ever squeezed 4 gallons in it was a 200 mile run. Started to get really nervous when the resv counter had 50 miles on it. Wish the gauge was a little more spot on.

WereGrouch

Mrs. Skrapiron
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode 500 miles two weekends ago- mostly 55mph curvy roads, with one 40 mile section of insane twisties that I rode very much slower than that. For that run, I averaged about 55 mpg.
This past weekend we went on a 350 mile trip, touring covered bridges in OH, with a passenger. A steady 75mph for 2 hours, then 55 mph curvy roads between the 30mph dirt/gravel roads, with lots of stopping for photo ops. I averaged 63mpg for this trip.
Around town, I'll get between 35 mpg (stupid Pittsburgh traffic) and 50 mpg.

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
I get 38 in town, but the speed limit in this town is 25 everywhere so I'm always in 2nd, On the hiway I've seen 200mi with out the f-trip flashing at me:thumbup:

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to agree. I will confess at times i do miss the 3.3 L/100km that i could achieve on my last bike (2007 Honda CBF250) and even while i am always getting 5.5-6.5L/100km on my 2008 FZ6N its never enough for me to even contemplate going back.
In fact im sure if i were able to resist the urge to blast off the lights during my city riding im confident i could achieve the claimed 5L/100km.
But wouldnt you prefer taking comfort in knowing you can easily dust off all other middleweight naked bikes without any trouble?
Not to mention the rush of riding the toughest looking stock mid naked on the market?
I LOVE it!

Zoom

Reaction score
Visit site
Please bear in mind that the octane level in the fuel these guys use all differ and this have a large impact on the fuel economy. People can use from 87 up to over 100 octane fuel. (I only use 95 unleaded for instance) I get 20km/litre and even more if I'm riding on the highway.

Another thing is filters and sprockets that people play around with also influence fuel economy, maybe you should buy a FZ6 and just install small sprocket at the back. Or get yourself a performance air filter, they increase fuel economy.

Hope this helps.
:thumbup:

frt96

Reaction score
Visit site
I check my mileage every fill. I commute 85-90 miles each way to work. The worst I have got was 42. The best was 55... The 55mpg was all highway 65-70mph and the 42 was mix of highway and back roads Late for work going 85-115mph... I think real world mixed city/highway should be well over 40 mpg if you stay reasonable with the throttle, but who wants to do that.

jmanz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I not only keep track of my fuel economy but I graph it thru the riding season along with fuel prices. My bike, this season has been averaging 49.7 MPG. I have a 50% city, 50% highway commute that is about 20 miles each way. I even get around 44 MPG riding 2 up. The lowest mileage I have gotten was 38 MPG and that was all city with me being very heavy on the throttle.

DeadRider

Relax & Enjoy
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi
I check my mileage every time i fill. My bike is a 2009 FZ6 S2 with 20000 km (12.500 miles). For almost 2 years I've had exactly 15 km/l (35mpg) riding in the city with lots of red traffic lights, very slow speed (average 35 mph). I ride about 6 miles a day (to the office and back) and I was happy because my mileage was quite steady.

But suddenly two or three tanks ago, with no additional change in the bike, I started getting 32 mpg. This winter (it is our season now) have been one of the coldest of the last 98 years (average for July 42°F). Could it be a possibility that, as the motor cannot get all the necessary temp, and i ride slow with lots of start/stop situations, that my mileage has worsen??

Thank for your help

AutoXer

Reaction score
Visit site
2005 model, not a hard rider, 260lb rider, 10100 mostly commuter miles (11 mile commute to work, usually @ 70-75mph) with rare long rides, running conventional Yamalube oil (but I'll be switching to synthetic at the next oil change). Mileage is checked every tank:

Worst Tank = 39+ Miles Per American Gallon
Best Tank = 58+ MPG on a long ride last weekend
Average to-date = 46.3 MPG

And though you didn't ask, theoretical range on reserve = 44-48 miles

jZ

K Rig

Reaction score
Visit site
summer at 80 degrees F, cruising gently down the highway at 60 mph in 6th gear 'n' treatin her right with the tires inflated to yamaha's recommendation: I'll see 46-47mpg.
Romping on it, terrorizing old ladies in Buick Park Avenues with pedestrians giving me the royal finger salute I'll see only mid to low 30's

TAPnTX

Reaction score
Visit site
Mileage will vary greatly depending on Elevation and Temperature. I can talk about MPG yet as I have yet to get to ride my new to me 07 FZ6.

I know when riding my 09 Versys I get around 41, but that is playing in the twisties and not exceeding 85 MPH in below 2000' elevation. But my old 2001 ZR7s will get 55 MPG doing about 75 heading into a 10 mph headwind. Like everyone has already said there are a lot of factors to consider when talking about MPG. I know my 08 Bandit would only get 36 MPG regardless of how I rode it. then after 5k miles it jumped up to 42.

Todd

Ballzac

Reaction score
Visit site
I do all highway mostly; 88 miles, 2 miles city each day. Fill it every other day 180 miles and 3.2-3.6 gallons. So anywhere from 50 to 56ish mpg. 175 lbs and keep it at 70-75.

shingo

Reaction score
Visit site
I did a 2 up riding this weekend, a bit of twisties and a bit of sprited riding, average 49mpg.

nudgedoink

Reaction score
Visit site
last tank was 60% highway 40% city. rpm's between 4-5k. 10% with pillion. 10% caught in a bad jam. averaging 19.2km/l or 45mpg

this is with yoshi slip ons, k&n filter and modded airbox. 2 side panniers as well.