FZ6 crash ....

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
Crashed my FZ6 today in office traffic....... :(

Still trying to play it in my mind to see what went wrong. It happened so fast. Coming out on a very mild curve, speed at about 30 mph. Light was red so started breaking slowly. Feel the skid coming on, breaks havn't taken yet, light is red and cars are stopped in front. Bike starts to loose traction - cant throttle so tried to swerve (probably in the wrong direction) and the bike went down. I tried to get on my back to get behind the bike so that I didnt crash into the cars..... bike went into the two cars ahead and and spun away. I came to stop right behind the cars.
I am thinking - may be break lock up or steering in the wrong direction. I dont remember if I let up the rear break. I am pretty sure I was off the front break. I cant remember the clutch - if it was pulled in. should have tried to keep with the skid or straighten up rather than steer.
I remeber thinking - there was no way to throttle - cars in front and both sides - behind too.
Bike's front end is trashed. Sliders did good - no damage to engine or frame.
Handlebar is bent up, forks too. Fairing lights, mirror all are history of course. Cant steer the bike - column is locked up. Tank has a minor dent.

Overall not sure if the bike can be saved. Since there is no damage to the engine or frame, may be its repairable, or sell it for parts?. I just got it towed back to the house.

I am ok I guess - knee is banged up and limping. Should have had knee protection. Upper body protection worked good, helmet worked good. Little scapes on elbow etc but nothing broken - thanks to the Lord. It was a miracle that I was able to get up and walk away with office traffic in all the lanes. One reason may be that i had some time space in front of me (obviously not enough for a skid/lock up)
Surprising part - while I was waiting for the tow truck and my wife to pick me up (took ~ 2 hrs) I saw two more accidents at the same intersection while sitting at the gas station and icing the knee, i couldnt believe it.

I am still sulking - No more bike riding for a while - and thanking God that I can still walk !!
View attachment 2037

View attachment 2038

View attachment 2039

View attachment 2040

Justin91280

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey man!!
Praise the lord Jesus... You are blessed.. sorry to hear about this.. Forget about the bike, glad to hear you are ok.. Everyone be safe and be aware!!

christod1

Just a member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm very sorry to hear of your accident. As long as you have your health and you were not hurt bad everything else can be fixed so don't worry about it. It's happened to nearly all of us. We have a saying here in Greece "if you don't have your health, you don't have anything". So don't worry about the bike. It can be fixed. Thank the Lord that your OK.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're ok!

Do you have any idea why the bike initially started to lose traction? Did you use the front brake at all or did you just mash the rear? Do you think there was something on the road?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're ok!

Do you have any idea why the bike initially started to lose traction? Did you use the front brake at all or did you just mash the rear? Do you think there was something on the road?

Reading that story it sounded like there was something on the road, maybe a car blew a radiator or something earlier in the morning and cleanup was not adequate, especially since 2 more crashes in the 2 hours he was there. glad you are ok and good luck with the bike repairs.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks! Glad to hear that you're okay though. Remember, bikes are replaceable, you're not. Thank god despite it all.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I tend to agee with one of the above posters that it may well have been something on the road that caused you to lose traction in such a catastrophic manner. It might be worth going back to the scene and inspect the road surface. Take pictures.
I'm so glad to hear that you came out of it relatively unscathed....although I'm sure some aches and pains will manifest themselves over the next few days.
Don't worry about your bike...that's what insurance is for.

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are okay... thats what counts... You can alway get a new bike.

Thanks for sharing

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Happy to hear you're OK, Sorry to hear about the bike.
I hope you can still repair the bike though. Keep your chin up and hope your knee heals soon.

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
^+1 I sent ya a few credits to keep you occupied while you are without a bike :Sport:

Thanks a bunch for your support and help. That was very generous.
I will find out how to use the credits wisely!! I'll apply it towards my new bike!! ... :thumbup:;)

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
I tend to agee with one of the above posters that it may well have been something on the road that caused you to lose traction in such a catastrophic manner. It might be worth going back to the scene and inspect the road surface. Take pictures.
I'm so glad to hear that you came out of it relatively unscathed....although I'm sure some aches and pains will manifest themselves over the next few days.
Don't worry about your bike...that's what insurance is for.

Could be. I wasn't watching the road so carefully becase the traffic was getting thick and signal was turning red. I was paying attention to all the break lights coming on.
I may have ridden the rear break a little harder too as someone suggested. The problem I got into was that once I strated sliping I couln't back off the breaks to give it some power to recover, as the signal was red already.

Any way, lessons learned and understanding that the Lord did faithfully brought me through this safely. I always pray for His protection every time I get on the bike and in my mind it worked.

Thanks all for your support and encouragement. Now the search starts to see how to get it all fixed up again.

Good part, I just put the bike in neutral and started it, and it started right back up, no coughing, no hesitation --- the good old Yamaha engine.

Bad part, front end is pretty much destroyed. Fairings, lights, mirrors handle bars and control, gas tank - all history. Forks seemed to be a little twisted too. I cant get wheel to turn!

Will keep everyone posted on what comes out. Repair or a new one!

Thank you all.

Last edited:

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any way, lessons learned and understanding that the Lord did faithfully brought me through this safely. I always pray for His protection every time I get on the bike and in my mind it worked.

Praise God....I do the same thing and he always comes through.:thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you hear all you got were a couple of bumps and bruises, they will be gone a few days.

Too bad about your FZ, it really looks like it went down had to bend the bar like that. :( There will always be another motorcycle and there isn't anything on the bike that you can't repair or replace.

I agree with the others, go back look at the site, and see if you can figure out what happened. It will help make you a better and safer rider in the long run.

Everyone falls off at one point or another. Wether it is a simple "plop" in front of the 7-11, or a nasty high-side. I think I've fallen off of motorcycles at least 6 or 7 times. It's part of the sport, the key is to learn from them, my problem is I'm a slow learner!

Hang in there and don't be hard on yourself.