FZ6 bought today!! need 'General' service info

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
3rd thread in 2 days.... I'm on it!!

Well, I thought I'd hold out on the right FZ, loving the electric blue colour as the first choice, black as the second.... Obviously eagerness gets the better of us all, trouble is I have managed to secure a nice 2007 black FZ with 6k on the clock for a VERY good price. It's been paid for and is on it's way from Cornwall, to be delivered tomorrow (315 miles away :( otherwise I'd have gone down!)

Pics to follow

Now, it's due it's second service, looking at the oil threads Motul 5100 is looking like the good choice - something I'm struggling to find info on is the filters, what do you UK guys do? from What I can see there's K&N or OEM (which i tend to stick to) - does it matter which? I'm fully aware that Ebay tends to be more expensive than dealers for these types of things..same for the air filters... so which do you chaps generally use....

Should be up and running in the week as I've got a jacket and Xena XX14 disc lock in the post, need to tax it online and insure it. Downer is I've acquired speeding points for the car today :( upside is they won't matter for this year haha :D

Thanks in advance :)
Tim

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The K&N filter will be a little easier to install and later remove as it has the built in nut on the end.

If the budget isn't an issue, I have, and am very happy with a K&P re-usable oil filter. Its cast finned aluminum (also acts as an oil cooler) with a SS strainer thats removeable for cleaning as well as a slightly larger volume from the stock filter:

Custom Oil Filters - Reusable Oil Filters - Cleanable Oil Filters - Green Oil Filters

Last edited:

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't go wrong with Wix. People tend to want to buy OE oil filters but do you think Yamaha makes oil filters? Almost any good quality filter from a reputable manufacture will work fine.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the K&N for the nut on the end - and the bloody nut rounded when I tried to remove it.

I use and HIGHLY recommend the Purolator-PL4610 oil filter. It's about 1/3 greater capacity than the OEM filter, has a grippy exterior for easy removal - and its inexpensive shipped via Amazon.

I don't care about the price, but it's PROVEN to have much better filter performance than the K&N and OEM filters.

I use Motul 7100 too, as it's fully synthetic. (In my opinion, semi-synthetic is barely better than straight dino-oil. If you're gonna do it, do it right!)

Cheers,
Rick

Reaction score
Visit site
Since Wally World stopped carrying their cheap-o filters in my area, I've switched to the Purolators.
Their trademark yellow is easily covered with flat black paint ;)

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Call me a squid, but I like the yellow!

It's an accent colour on my otherwise blue and silver bike.

LOL

Cheers,
Rick

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies!! Honestly don't think I've used a forum this friendly before :D

I'm very much of the mind, of doing what needs to be done rather than going to excess. I can get 25% off oil atm at Eurocarparts, is 40 10W oil the same for bikes and cars? I guess it would be but obviously best to check.... I'm going to do some reading up on plugs too seeing as its the 6k'er

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Car oil is not suitable for a bike.

In a motorcycle, the engine oil is also the gearbox oil, and the compressive forces experienced in the gearbox quickly break down the molecules in the oil and degrade its performance and protective properties.

STRONGLY recommend you buy motorcycle specific oil.

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Car oil is not suitable for a bike.

In a motorcycle, the engine oil is also the gearbox oil, and the compressive forces experienced in the gearbox quickly break down the molecules in the oil and degrade its performance and protective properties.

STRONGLY recommend you buy motorcycle specific oil.

Cheers,
Rick

+1 on the above 100%.

Also, just snug the oil filter on after putting oil on the seal.. Its saves problems/major issues later when trying to remove it. There's numerous threads re folks overtightening the filter then the joy of trying to remove it

One other thing, just snug the drain plug, the approx 30+ foot lbs, IMO, is a bit tight for that plug. Its not hard to strip out the pan ... And if you pick up a copper oil drain plug gasket, it'll be the last one you buy, its very re-usable...

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
This shopping list is growing bigger by the minute!!

Today's purchases - Bungee cord for the disc lock
Planned : Iridium plugs, oil, Filter (prob K&N), Magnetic sump plug (like this one? Yamaha FZ6 600 S Fazer RJ071 2005 Magnetic Oil Drain Plug Bolt | eBay )

I'm also thinking basics such as fender extender - I could do with paint for the centre stand as I'm very much into detailing, so the rust has to go, however often it'll come back :D

I don't currently own a torque wrench, i normally just nip the sump plugs a quarter turn, defo worth buying?

Oh also need proper filter removal tool and big oil drain, been meaning to buy one for the BMW changes, that thing spits out 8 litres :/

Air filter, OEM or K&N? what ever it is, I don't want to be declaring mods on the insurance until my 2nd year - they'll prob chuck my premium and double the costs of the mods knowing my luck! :D

Expensive day! :D

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some other shopping goodies, Mothers Mag and aluminum polish: Mothers® Mag & Aluminum Polish

This and a lot of elbow grease will shine up that header (no steel wool).

As for the fender entender, If your careful, you can glue it on with ABS glue and clamp it. Put the glue on the FE side ONLY, see below(no bolts/screws):

*If you keep the filler plug in when draining the oil, it'll slow down the gush a little bit ...

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Righty ho! the fender extender, any particular type or are they all pretty much the same?

Luckily my detailing kit is huge for the cars, dremel, Autosol and the last purchase Britemax Twins Metal Polish. - Detailing World easily the best stuff i've used so far ;)

Guessing the steel wool 'mars' the polished finish?

This is mine, the original "Fenda Extenda", perfect fit: Fenda Extenda by Pyramid Plastics About $36.00 (US). They are bike specific as fenders are obviously different.

Here's a link I used for my install: FJRTech.com - Dedicated to the FJR1300 Enthusiast!

And yes, steel wool, especially the courser stuff will scratch the chrome. If you have a good polish, you should be good with that. A buffing wheel will speed things up too. Once the header is clean, it doesn't take much to keep it shiney after the initial clean up...

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
Right, well I've just got word from the courier dude, bikes getting here at between 7-9pm :( grrr - I can't ride it until the middle of the week anyways.

I've never been a massive fan, but found a nice carbon fender extender...with the bike being black, might look decent! cheers for the guide....

I'll also look at that stone chip fan mod you mentioned...preventative maintainence before the summer

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Yep, that's the same one (but not black) as mine. Mine came with two sided sticky tape too, but also comes with sheet metal screws for the install (its NOT noted in the ad. They like you to drill the fender and install the 4 screws..

If going the ABS glue method, remove the sticky tape first...

Last edited:

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually just been looking at your pics, think the gloss black does look better long term.....so you say get some ABS glue bought, I'll have a look on the web.

Are these tail tidies worth their money? the standard one looks pretty 'massive' but i dont want to ruin the back end, its my favourite bit!