FZ6 at the track

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
no i just thougt dude might be lying, and i wanted to try and verify before i put stock in those numbers

but realisticaly most orgs (cycle options, stt, curvechasers) are more like;
A-1:25 - below
I-1:24-1:29
B-1:27-1:35

they'll say its faster, but its not when you get there.

ive never seen anyone run slower than a 1:35.. even brand new riders. 1:12 is expert national chapionship times (when wera used to run there). a buddy of mine drags his elbows in 4 there at 1:17's. so i dont think those times are right....10 seconds on a track like pp is huge! heck 3 seconds slower is like a laid back take it easy pace difference. that would be a horrible trackday for the guys at the front of I.

my budy told me its more like
1:22- below
1:23- 1:27
1:28- up

(hes done like 5 there with nesba i think he said)

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW, Brian Wink, one of the NESBA CR's who does around 70 TDs a year, gave me those ball park numbers. All I hear about Putnam is good things. Have you signed up for any days there or anywhere else yet this year?
________
WEB SHOWS

Last edited:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
126 MPH top speed! Wow very impressive. It feels good knowing that the FZ6 can hold it's own on the track. I was just wondering if the R1 or R6 bike and rider ergonomics would be more suitable for the race track.

Cheers.

HandleOnTheRight

Reaction score
Visit site
DefyInertia,

Fantastic bit there I must say. I'm wondering what your protocol is regarding shifting. Forgive me for being a racing newb but do you typically use the clutch to upshift? When downshifting, are you always matching revs or is it quicker to kick down and dump the clutch - without a slipper I imagine this would get hairy. Any description would be great, thanks. Enjoyed the vid a lot!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
At the track -

UP - I use the clutch to shift from 1st to 2nd most of the time (if I can't, I can't). For shifts from 2nd to 3rd and on up I don't ever use the clutch.

DOWN - I always use the clutch on pavement. I'm both a blipper and a slipper with much room for improvement. You can tell from the video that I was mostly slipping the clutch out before the revs had time to drop much (you can basically drop the clutch if you do it before the revs drop but you risk blowing too far past redline). So, in other words, I've found it best to blip aka rev match in most cases.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nate - Speaking of slippers, does anyone make a slipper clutch for the FZ? I assume an R6 one, if there is one, would fit right in. Or did you feel you really didn't need one?

From what I've read they sound like a great way to go to help prevent "chirp" on the downshift.

H

HavBlue

I know it's easy to be critical, but I thought he was braking too early typically:eek:

The film would give that impression. I also found the downshifts to be rough based on the audio. It's tough to tell with this type of video. I'm trying to figure out what that freight train on the right was doing.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Nate - Speaking of slippers, does anyone make a slipper clutch for the FZ? I assume an R6 one, if there is one, would fit right in. Or did you feel you really didn't need one?

From what I've read they sound like a great way to go to help prevent "chirp" on the downshift.

Have not looked for one. Too expensive and I rather just master the old fashion way....it's part of the fun.

The film would give that impression. I also found the downshifts to be rough based on the audio. It's tough to tell with this type of video.

Re: braking...I'm not sure if you read my earlier response but I'd love to late brake past you...lol...when are you gonna track that fizzer?

Re: downshifts...rough how????

H

HavBlue

DefyInertia;
Re: braking...I'm not sure if you read my earlier response but I'd love to late brake past you...lol...when are you gonna track that fizzer?

HavBlue;

Definition:
A riding technique in which the rider begins to brake before entering a turn and then continues to brake as he eases into the corner. As cornering forces build, the rider gradually feathers off the brakes: trading braking power for cornering grip by increasing the vertical loading and thus increasing the available traction at the front tire. This will improve a rider's turn in speed thus improving lap times.

I've seen the film and you are far from understanding this or you would be doing it. If you know what the question was then learn to apply it or talk to your coach who should clearly know what this is. Forget the old school late braking methods as they will only slow you down.

When will I track the Fizzer?
Read my signature line, my track days are long over and I will no longer be part of the same place same thing crowd. I want the unknown rush of back road hazards and the imperfections therein. Enjoy the track time as the skills you develop will save your life on the street. Calculated aggression is the key out on the back roads.

How is the downshift rough?

Listen to the audio on the tape. As bad as it is you can still here the harsh snappy downshifts. While it would appear you have very smooth cornering lines and exit strategies your tip in needs improvement and this will only come with time and understanding. The nice thing about track time is the understanding of cornering. When you get out on the back roads you will find corners that may be very similar to those on the track and others will be different. The track will give you an understanding of how to gauge that back road turn even if it is off camber or decreasing radius. On the track you learn to read and off the track you learn to apply. You've done well in a short time but remember, we will always have room for improvement and we will never know it all regardless of how long we ride.

Keep at it Racer....

Charlie

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Charlie - I gotta disagree with you. The back roads are very fun at 8/10s but once you get above that I feel it is way too dangerous. The reason is if you get into problems there is little or no run-off, and if there is run-off there may be a tree, armco, ditches, etc. Before I raced I rode the canyons in Colorado like they were a race track. I'm very lucky to be writing this message. Yes the road is more challenging as you don't ride the same corners over and over and there are surprises. When I did my rider's school to get my racing licence I thought I was hot sh*t. Man was I WRONG. I was an upper back marker, much to my surprise. It took me three years of racing every race I could, about 40 to 50 starts in a season, before I cracked the top 10 in Expert class. And then I could barely get into the top 10. The best I ever did in Expert was 5th and I was lapped by the 1st and 2nd place racers. The funny part is at a National level, those same guys were in the middle of the field. On a track I was eventually got comforable with drifting both ends, using the knee to pivot, and the throttle to control it all. On the road I would never dream of doing that. When I get back on the track this year I'm going to start at the beginning all over again, beginner on sport touring tires, and hope some of what I did 20 years ago comes back. Since I've gotten the FZ I've had the knee down a couple of times and then I realized I was going WAY to fast for a two lane, tree lined road. The challenge is addicting, and the is the problem, you don't what to stop. All I ask is you are safe when you are having fun.

H

HavBlue

Pete, I want to tell you that I totally agree with you and you are absolutely right however, we each have a margin of safety we like to play with and that margin will very widely. This is what I call calculated aggression and there is no doubt it's a roll of the dice. There have been more than a few times I have come hanging around a corner only to find some farmer driving a combine or bug sprayer at 10mph. I have also met with cages on the wrong side of the road and in either case it's pucker time.

I also agree that anything above 8/10ths on a back road and you really better have it together because one slip and you may bite the farm. The back roads I like best are typically corn roads or soybean roads where there are no trees or fence lines During the corn season I have to slow down a bit as the deer hide in the fields and I can't see them until they pop out. During soybean season this is different as I can see a long way but I still have to be careful as the rolling dips from this sink hole topography can often make things interesting.

Don't misunderstand me Pete, I don't go off recklessly but I do push my own limits to a level where I am comfortable with my actions at that time. At other times I may just be cruising through some little township of 100 people just to see the sites. I like narrow roads with no lines in them and the beauty of being alone just me and the bike. I'm old enough to have raced at Riverside and the Indy clone at Ontario in the sportsman's classes. I have also raced district 37 across the deserts of southern California. All this was very cool but a very different kind of rush, although I will say chasing desert reads is in many ways similar and this is why I like it.

Trust in the fact I am geared up and having the time of my life in a manner that is to me as safe as I can make it. I'm glad to here you are going back to something you too once found enjoyment in. Do me one favor though, watch that guy chasing your butt around that track as you may have total control over your ride and that guy may just be the one that takes you out. That, I am not doing again, ever......

Be safe,
Charlie

lichy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi can you give me some info, how can I get some track time ,how much it costs to run some laps ,I just bought new fz6 and i want to check it out, im from arlington hts,thanks

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
MPH....the speedo would have been reading well over 200 if that was KPH. You can clearly see me shift into third about about 95MPH indicated (w/ stock gearing).

I have 2 track days in the next two weeks and can't wait to make some more videos!