Fz6 advice

faseljd

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I am going to ask the experts here. I am looking into buying a 04 FZ6 naked with 9000 miles, looks to be in excellent shape. Has some upgrades such as corbin seat and power commander, etc. Owner is looking to get 4k for it, seems a bit high after looking at KBB and NADA and other comparable bikes in area. But mainly what should I be looking at or for when inspecting? What are some of the trouble spots or issues that these bikes have? I am not new to motorcycles just to this bike. I drive a Suzuki B-King now and think the Yammy would make it a good stablemate. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
i wouldnt pay more than book value.

the earlier models had a TPS recall. make sure it was done or get it done yourself.
sometimes these bikes have bad steering head bearings.

i think that's it.
they are pretty much bullet-proof.

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
I think 4 is a little high, I got a steal of a deal on my bike so that may be the reason (600 miles on it for 4500). Big thing I would look for is rust

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I am going to ask the experts here. I am looking into buying a 04 FZ6 naked with 9000 miles, looks to be in excellent shape. Has some upgrades such as corbin seat and power commander, etc. Owner is looking to get 4k for it, seems a bit high after looking at KBB and NADA and other comparable bikes in area. But mainly what should I be looking at or for when inspecting? What are some of the trouble spots or issues that these bikes have? I am not new to motorcycles just to this bike. I drive a Suzuki B-King now and think the Yammy would make it a good stablemate. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

$2,000 not a penny more is what i would give for it. :rockon:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 04 with 26,000 miles on it. Bought it 2 and a half years ago with 2,800 miles on it. Things to check are the TPS recall, front sprocket nut recall (which had not been done on my bike) and head bearings. I replaced my timing chain tensioner but not sure that is a widespread problem. Other than those issues they typical stuff like oil changes, antifreeze changes, battery, tires, swingarm clean and lube etc.

$4,000 is too high.

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my 06' Kawi 650r, I had a literal checklist I went through with the owner. Make sure the bike is NOT warmed up before you get there, a lot of subtle problems may get hidden after engine is warm. Dont forget to pull the dipstick and check oil level and color. If the oil looks like ****, imagine what the internals look like if this guy/gal didnt change it at regular intervals. Also, check the manual to see what service intervals are coming up. Have to regrease steering head bearing? Change oil? Change plugs? All things to factor into the price. You do all that and you'll end up getting it down to the price you want. :thumbup:

Good luck!

This is a simple checklist to use (google "used motorcycle checklist" and you'll get better ones):

Things to look for when buying a used bike(CHECKLIST) - Motorcycle Forum

fazed_ya

Reaction score
Visit site
47 views and no comments?
I hate that too ......in my opinion ....you get what you pay for. There's probably a reason he wants that high ask for paper work on maintenance ......was it og.a naked? If not the kits not cheap ..he probably trying to recoup some $$$ if you feel comfy with the price get it and as for problems with the bike no real problems.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Head bearings
Fork seals
Kinky stretched chain
Antifreeze ever changed?
Any wires mutilated under the seat or tank? Was it a proper conversion?
Does it still have the original tires? If so, drop the price as those are old!
Any service records?

faseljd

Reaction score
Visit site
just looked at a 07, faired one with 9500 miles for 3900. Comes with two bros slip-ons and pazzo levers. Decisions, decisions.

faseljd

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the 04. Traded my 78 Goldwing Bobber and my 6x10 enclosed trailer straight across for it. My stuff was probably worth 3600. Came with stock and corbin w/ backrest and Joe Rocket saddlebags and tailbag. I'm happy!

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
Head bearings
Fork seals
Kinky stretched chain
Antifreeze ever changed?
Any wires mutilated under the seat or tank? Was it a proper conversion?
Does it still have the original tires? If so, drop the price as those are old!
Any service records?

Good list. I would add:
What mods did he try to make? Do you like the result?
What does the chain look like now? That will give you an idea about chain maint done.
Service records should be required over $3000.

For ref, I paid $5500 for a new 2009 about 4 months ago, but some expensive mods can really raise the value for a buyer who wants them..

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Then let me be the first to welcome you to the club faseljd! :thumbup:

I really liked the look of that Goldwing bobber. Looks like it could of been hard to part with it. Why the change?

faseljd

Reaction score
Visit site
This bike is also for my son to ride when he is visiting from college. He only has a year and a half riding experience so the 700 lb. Bobber with 1978 brakes was just a bit much for him. He would ride it but never felt comfortable enough to come along on group rides. So I think the FZ6 will better suit him and it will be fun for me to take up in the tighter twisties. My B-King is more of a sweeper eater. That Goldwing sounded exactly like a small block chevy with its 4-1 pipe.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
nice bikes you ve got.. that b king looks sweet and somehow it does not look big underneath you, looks just right, i always thought b kings were huge bikes.

that fizzer you got had some work done..upgraded brakes and maybe forks 07 swingarm...and a nice mt 03 headlight. the previous owner looked to be anal and took good care of it, so issues should be non existent on this bike.. enjoy both of your bikes!

faseljd

Reaction score
Visit site
Was looking at wheels on bike and stickers on them say Marchesini, are these aftermarket forged aluminum or stock? Maybe the wheels are stock with just some decals? And no the King isnt too big, I am only 5-7 and I did lower the bike 2 inches in the back and 3/4 inch in the front.

Last edited: