nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
what do the fz1 bars do for you? I hear wrist comfort as a response, but do they allow for a more aggressive position? Steering?

ScubaSteve08

Reaction score
Visit site
For me it feels like I'm putting my arms down in a push up position but wide grip. Don't know if that'll help you since its all relative, but I do know that the bar extends out past the fairing now by an inch or two, that's without the bar ends.

Which by the way reminds me that since these bars don't have threads for bar ends, I'm just gonna get rid of the mickey mouse mirrors and put bar end mirrors on :Flash:

LunchBox04V

That Subaru Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, Scuba, were you going to do bar end mirrors with the fairing? That would look pretty cool... I think. How were you going to cover the holes in the fairing where the mirrors were? Sorry, not to get off topic.

ScubaSteve08

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to leave them the way they are. They don't look all that bad but I guess if I really wanted to hide them, the best way might be to just paint them black to match my windscreen so they aren't so obvious.

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I have bar end mirrors with the fairing on my '06. I used R1 mirror block off plates. Better, but not perfect.

Joe

I'm going to leave them the way they are. They don't look all that bad but I guess if I really wanted to hide them, the best way might be to just paint them black to match my windscreen so they aren't so obvious.

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Mirror block off pics:

dsc0320o.jpg

dsc0321xo.jpg

dsc0322dd.jpg

dsc0323t.jpg

Joe

michael-james

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the FZ8 handlebars fitted at last. Not too difficult, hardest part was getting the throttle side switch cluster peg hole marked and drilled. Not totally necessary but feels better knowing it wont slip around at all. the hole for the clutch side matched ok. The bar ends for the FZ6 don't fit as they are threaded and on the FZ8's it's a 18mm machined recess which an insert sits and then the bar ends screws into that. Similar to the YZF-R6 from what i've seen. So now i have to get new bar ends. The FZ8 ones weight is much less that the original FZ6's 300grams so not sure if it will cause more vibes if i buy the FZ8's,maybe have to get aftermarket types.
Riding position is a little bit more forward due to less angle but height seems to be about the same. Flatter and less back sweep than before which is great and what i wanted. Pics show some details for those who may want to do the same.

Last edited:

NearOn

Reaction score
Visit site
Well today in my part of the UK, it was a nice temperature of 15 C, which is warm for us! So I thought as im off today, could go to the coast on the bike or anywhere I like, or........I could finally fit the FZ1 bars! So guess which one I did.

Having done this before on my previous bike, a Honda Hornet, I thought this would give me a head start on mistakes I made last time but still took a good couple of hours to get it all done like I wanted it. In all everything went fine, just a bit fiddly to unscrew switch gear. If anyone wants step by step of how I did it, though im no expert, can pm details.

The only other part that took time was marking up the FZ1 bars to drill a hole for the switch gear next to the throttle. Luckily I got it right and it fitted in perfectly, so good to know never going to come loose. Didn't fancy filing off the peg.

Anyway took it out for a spin, and to be honest cant notice a massive difference. But what I did notice is feels a bit more aggressive position in a good way and also less head wind. It does seem to take the corners with more ease too which is good. There are no clearance issues and all cables fit fine.

Couple of pic's of before and after.

Before;
IMG_0421.jpg

After;
IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Might be a dumb question... did the fz1 bars change at any year ? or can I just go to my Yammy dealer and ask for FZ1 bars ?

I've read conflicting reports on this. Some say it's always been the same while others say it did change at one point. One thing I can guarantee: 07 through current is the same.

Sad Droid

Reaction score
Visit site
I've read conflicting reports on this. Some say it's always been the same while others say it did change at one point. One thing I can guarantee: 07 through current is the same.

That's kinda the impression I got after reading plenty of reports, some used risers some didn't.

Hopefully NearOn can help.